The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welding tip...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welding tip...
    Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 11:41
I advertised my van for sale early in year stating it just needed the windscreen seal replacing.
When I got round to cutting the old seal out, I was surprised to find it was in good condition... it wasn't the problem.

Windscreen was like this both sides.

I've welded in one side and I'm pleased with myself at first attempt at welding.
I used the cheapest Clarke 90 EN, but converted to gas for most of it:

However, it was difficult to get to the back of the replacement 'panel'. 
So my 'tip'...

If you switch to flux cored wire, you can take the shroud off. The torch then becomes a mini stick welder and you can get into places where the gas torch can't...

retroloz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 12:16
Top tip Clap
1983 mk1 Golf
1988 VW T3 GTI
2002 VW Golf MK4
http://retroloz.blogspot.co.uk/
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 13:09
Stop it, you're making me look badWink
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 13:37
That looks to be a nice enough job, and for those who can use gasless wire, a top tip for difficult to reach places. There have been times recently when I could have done with less metal aound the torch.

Though far from an expert, if you felt the need to do a run from the opposite side it sound like you could do with turning the amps up a bit. The weld should be on the verge of burning through to gain full penetration. http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/butt-weld.htm Butt welding pictures are about halfway down.

Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 17:52
Of course, the secret to pretty looking welds is grinding. Not so good for pretty fingers:

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 18:20
?No guard?Shocked
?No gloves?Shocked

Very lucky boy.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 19:10

Ouch!

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 19:40
Missed the nail your lucky hurts a lot more for a lot longer
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 21:40
Yes. My next tip: to make the grinder as dexterous as your new slim profile stick welder - take the guard off. They don't come off Aldi grinders but luckily I had another grinder to cut the guard off with.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 22:03
Not be doing that again will you.!

Had it been a cutting disc, or a knotted wire brush, you would have been spending this afternoon in your local A&E.

?Most useful tools?.......Eyes and hands.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 14 at 22:18
that's your first attempt at welding???????

I give up,  anyone want to buy my welder? LOL
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 14 at 08:04
Originally posted by T3Panel T3Panel wrote:

that's your first attempt at welding???????

I give up,  anyone want to buy my welder? LOL
I misled. First attempt at car panels. And, despite the finger, I have a lot of practice with the grinder.
... just practice grinding as well.

Edited by jhobson - 08 Sep 14 at 08:17
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 16 at 12:51
The gift of a T3 seems to be endless learning opportunities. I thought I would fix some rust bubbles around the water filler. They seems to be coming through thick layer of filler so my suspicions were aroused. My Atlantic has those black body fittings around the bottom... thought I'd have a look underneath.
Probably worse than it looks:

A bit of filler should hold the bumper back on?

The other side didn't look so bad so I thought I would start with the small, easy job to build confidence:

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 16 at 20:44
get a tall arch panel for that side - overlap the first bend and plug across it weld verticals along inside edges then make a return lip around the arch. then fit a short arch where you've fitted the return lip. propper job!  Thumbs Up
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 16 at 08:05
Originally posted by rowlesy rowlesy wrote:

get a tall arch panel for that side - overlap the first bend and plug across it weld verticals along inside edges then make a return lip around the arch. then fit a short arch where you've fitted the return lip. propper job!  Thumbs Up

I don't think my skills are even at a level where I can understand the advice. I don't understand how to weld 'inside edges'. I was going to cut up a full panel, patch (not cutting out much more than I already have) up to the wheel arch with a butt weld, then butt weld the left over arch (short panel). Then filler to make it look good and plug the holes. I have no luck with overlaps and plugs because I can't get the panels clamped together.
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 16 at 16:40
I am a DIY welder and have struggled to clamp panels together but now drill a hole and pull together with a self tapping screw (s) then just mig the hole after removing the screw at the end. Unsure if it's in how to weld properly handbook but it works

I've also used panels clips and self tapping screws if I can get behind but it's too big a gap for a clamp
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
jhobson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhobson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 16 at 19:07
I think I will be buying some self-tappers and I'll try it on less visible welds like the platform tray on the other side. However, I'm still tempted to just butt weld all around the wing panel.

Until now, I've been welding a centimetre at a time in order to avoid blow-through. I've just worked out today on the internet that I didn't understand the power settings on the 90en so that may improve things... or make them worse.
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 16 at 19:25
My learning curve was trial and error and I still struggle to do a long continuous bead. What I have found is the difference in gas less welding wire. I'm now using Langley gas less 0.9 mm wire and personally find it better than the wire that came with my welder.

Also a tip from this site which worked for me was turning down the wire speed helped to prevent blow through.

What is true is that you do get better the more you weld.
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
tennis View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 16 at 18:00
Always leave a gap (at least 1mm)between joints, it will help to reduce warping.
Don't get carried away and do inch long welds, again it causes distortion, do a spot, leave a big gap do another spot etc etc
Remember when grinding welds off, the grinder can cause as much distortion as the welds, use a coarse flap disc, and take a little off at a time.
When all the welds are ground down smooth, if possible get a torch behind the weld, this will show any pin holes which will cause a repair to bubble up again in no time.
Foursprings Dutch Picnic
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 16 at 10:42
Top Tip
Get Rowlesy to fix it for you. He did a great job on mine. That rot has probably come from water in the interior and the heat from the fridge evaporating it and could be really bad. You don't see it until you pull the unit with the fridge and cooker out.

Edited by Pete Westy - 05 Aug 16 at 10:59
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>