The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vw t5 bonnet catch wont open[ help]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ufcfighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vw t5 bonnet catch wont open[ help]
    Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 18:45
hi all  my t5 trendline bonnet wont open??the cables on at the handle and apears to be on at the catch but theres loads of slack on it so it fels free but wont open at all.
so my second need is how the hel to get to the cable and catch with out making damage??allready tried takinng the bottom pan and wheel arch cover only to discover you still cant get to the cable or catch??any sugestions fellas please
vw T5 trendline T28
chris356 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris356 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 18:56
hi have you asked someone to push down on the bonnet while you pull the lever thats what i have to do on mine
chris
ufcfighter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ufcfighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 18:59
hi chris tried that 1 bro and caused a dint i the rounded edge gots  laff or i will  end up crying bro..lol 
vw T5 trendline T28

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ufcfighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 19:02
plus did i mention that theres no tention on the bonnet pull handle i e it feels free but still has the cable attatched cheers all
vw T5 trendline T28
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 19:05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ufcfighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 22:39
hi fellas thanks for the heads up but im really looking for abit more info on trying to get the bonnet open if any one can help????
vw T5 trendline T28
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 10 at 22:48
From the link...
Originally posted by simmoscaff simmoscaff wrote:

got to it from under the engine (long arms lol) the clip on the cable that works the mechanism had come off sorted now though put it back in and wapped a cable tie on it so it wont happen again!!!!
mildu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mildu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 10 at 18:50
Originally posted by ufcfighter ufcfighter wrote:

hi chris tried that 1 bro and caused a dint i the rounded edge gots  laff or i will  end up crying bro..lol 

Is it me or is some kind of different language....read it a few times and I still don't understand what is being said!!
'57 130 T30
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 10 at 19:47
Originally posted by mildu mildu wrote:

Is it me or is some kind of different language....read it a few times and I still don't understand what is being said!!

I will attempt to interpret this foreign lingo:

Hello Chris, I tried that idea you put forward earlier but unfortunately it was not successful, worse still, whilst attempting this I accidently put a small dent in the rounded edge of my bonnet

However I am not one to be negative about these things, so I simply laughed it off

I hope this helpsLOL
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
mildu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mildu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 10 at 21:40
Cheers bro!!LOL
'57 130 T30
stevebrown1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebrown1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 10 at 23:22
Hi my brother had the same problem, i ended up crawling under the front of the van and taking off the plastic protecters under the engine bay and we used a pole or something similar to reach up and press the bonnet release. It was time consuming and a little tricky but we did manage.

hope you manage
Karlrymes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlrymes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 16 at 08:25

hi allĀ  my t5 trendline bonnet wont open??the cables on at the handle and apears to be on at the catch but theres loads of slack on it so it fels free but wont open at all.
so my second need is how the hel to get to the cable and catch with out making damage??allready tried takinng the bottom pan and wheel arch cover only to discover you still cant get to the cable or catch??any sugestions fellas please
Karlrymes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlrymes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 16 at 08:42
My bonnet would not open so what I did after wasting lots of other people's time was this.
Drove my van up on to some blocks tk give myself a bit more room underneath then remove the sump gard whitch is 4 13mm bolts.take not which way around if came off and which holes the bolts go back through.
Ok so now you can get in.i can open the bonet in less than 30 seconds from this point but only because I knocked on a door where I sar a t5 parked and asked if I could look under his bonnet to see what I had to do.you Must do this.
Along more room in the 1.9.mine is a 2005 130 2.5l but still enough room to get arm in from underneath and put a 4 inch nail in my case or a very short screwdriver in to the bonet cat hole and flick the relies. After doing this yesterday it's easy but bit of a stretch. DON'T a tempt this until you have looked at another one as you will never find the hole.
I have pics will try and post.
Reason this happens is on the bonnetend of the cable is a black plastic clip about 70mmx20mm that needs to be in the correct place to through catch.mine fell out but was easy to click back in once bonnet was open. I will check this every time I close my bonnet from now on.
Don't know what people are on about when thay say use a bar.
Need to get in to the hole with a nail and throw the catch.
Good luck
T4withIssues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T4withIssues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 17 at 07:29
I couldn't get the pan off and the radiator was fully in the way so I got creative with a piano hinge (bendable but stiff enough to put force on the latch) and made a bit of a z-bend and felt around with the end of it until I hit the spring and then fished a bit further for the latch plate piece and pushed hard against it and voila it popped open. 10 minutes tops and no damage to anything and no putting my fist through the side window fiddling with that bottom plate getting it off and on again.
 Post Reply Post Reply