The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

voltage at glowplugs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: voltage at glowplugs?
    Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 20:17
when i tested the voltage at my glowplugs earlier this week with a circuit tester, i was only getting around 7 - 7,5 volts: the voltage climbing to this gradually and then cutting off as the relay clicked off. i put it down to the fact that my van's crappy underpowered car battery was on its last legs. 

today i got a new heavy duty van battery and fitted it. when i measured the voltage across the plugs with the ignition turned on this time, the voltage was better, but still peaked at about 8,5 volts before the relay clicked off.

is this right?  i was expecting that the voltage across the plugs would hit 12v straight off and be a constant 12v while they were on, but instead the voltage seems to build up [from about 5 volts initially] as long as  the plugs are on and - even with a heavy duty new battery fitted - it only gets to somewhere between 8 and 9 volts before the relay cuts off.
Dedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 07:22
On our vans could be fitted one of two different glowplug systems, a fast one and a slow one and, if I remember correctly, one of the two will put only about 9 volt.
'86 LT28 Diesel Sven Hedin
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 09:01
ah - that sounds encouraging.  thanks, i didnae know that. i just tend to assume everything on a motor's electrical circuit uses the full 12v. 
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 11:35
send me an email address and Ill send you the links to the manuals page 59 of the diesel manual will help
Terry
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 11:54
are those the manuals that were on the 'rabbitsonthemoon' site [or whatever it was called]? if so, i've got them already, thanks
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 14:36
yes. Look at page 59 of the diesel manual to find your answer. Im begining to think owning an LT is like some wierd fantasy game where your always looking for the answer to the next piece of a puzzle
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 17:56
cheers.  i'll run a few of those checks at the weekend.  unfortunately the manual disnae mention anything about the voltages involved.  the testing seems to be based more on when and for what amount of time voltage is present, rather than the voltage itself.
 Post Reply Post Reply