Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

’Velle frames in a Panel Van??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Velle frames in a Panel Van??
    Posted: 19 Apr 08 at 22:26

Following on from previous post about windows in panels vans and the whole discussion around it not being a good idea got of the rot factor (bourne out by my existing ventilated window frames ) has got me thinking…

The Chappy family wagon is undergoing major cosmetic refurb i.e. full prep, new rear quarters, paint etc including windows out.

So while the bodyshop have got the welding gear out it might be a good opportunity to think about windows.  They will already have to rebuild the window ‘frames’ (holes would be more appropriate term...) to a certain extent to get rid of existing rot, so I couldn’t help wondering that maybe it would be simpler to just weld in a complete caravelle (recessed) frame. 

CJ at Syncro Spares suggested it in a previous post, but I didn’t honestly think it was do-able ‘cos I haven’t got the facilities, but now the van is having the full monty professionally done like, it might be an option….

Anyone done it or heard of it being done? Or is it just bung the old windows back in with new rubbers and loads of waxoyle?           

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 08 at 22:35

Someone did put frames in, think MadMatt did it, to be fair it didn't look that bad, but not done it myself so can't really comment.

Also depends on how many you are planning to do, all of them would be a pain, a couple do-able.

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 08 at 22:41

I'd need to do them all really.  I've got velle glass and a pair of sliders so not a problem there.  Matt is near me so I'll give him a bell tomorrow maybe.

Just a thought as it'll be the only tidy time to do it while the interior is stripped and all...  

digressing slightly....I need a a set of rear wheel bearings and noticed on your site it mentions bearing fitting fluid.  Wassat then?

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 08 at 22:48

Like stud lock, but for bearings.

It's generally the syncro's that suffer from worn housings so you may be okay, if you strip them and the outer race of the inner bearing is all blackened the bearing will have been spinning in the housing.

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 08 at 22:57

ah, nice one.  Bit of a legacy behind my rear bearings so might need the fluid... I'll give you a bell on Monday to order the bearings,  need some other stuff too but could use a bit of expert guidance so best I ring 

Cheers, Chappy

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 08 at 00:20
no probs.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 08 at 17:38

i fitted velle surrounds to my panel just the one opposite the slider tidier job and looks good when executed well!

UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 08 at 19:11

Looks great What's it look like on the inside? Any probs with getting it lined up with the inside? 

rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 08 at 17:53
from memory i split the frame-recess in half fitted inside first (you'll see all the pressing marks when you get em together!) then cut outter panel from drilling around hole! plasma cutting disks bout 1.2mm thick cut away excess and lap over about 10mm and put 10mm stitch every inch dont go mad and keep the heat out! take your time and measure everything 2 or 3 times!!!!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply