The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Various judders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Various judders
    Posted: 19 Dec 19 at 10:42
So my first post, so apologies if this has been done to death already.

I have a serious judder on acceleration if I get the revs wrong but I can't get the same symptoms in reverse.  I'm kind of hoping its not a DMF.

The clutch biting point is high, so I was wondering if the judder may only be from a worn pressure plate?

A bit more info; I get a bit of a judder under load in all gears, or possibly better described as vibration.  Which would have pushed me more in the direction of an engine mount if it was for the severe judder on take off.

Anyone had anything similar and found the fault(s)?

many thanks for any pointers.

Dan
taffrowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 19 at 11:12
Apologies, the van is a 2015 T28 and has done around 80K miles

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 19 at 00:06
Do you get any judder when starting to reverse up a slope ?  That is the classic symptom of a DMF that is failing.

Is the judder as you are letting the clutch out, or is it after you have fully released the clutch ?
taffrowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 19 at 10:46
so no I can’t seem to replicate the judder in reverse.  The judder is on uptake of drive when pulling off but I can mask it with some extra revs and a delicate left foot. 
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 19 at 13:52
Could be a clutch problem.  

Any chance the rear main seal is leaking some oil onto the clutch ?  That wouldn't help it work properly, although it might improve with some use, then worsen after sitting for a while.

I haven't read that many reports of clutch issues, DMF or 'box main shaft bearings seem to be more frequent on manuals.
taffrowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 19 at 15:48
underneath is dry as a bone. I’m assuming a physical check of the DMF can be conducted when changing the clutch and doesn’t have to be done “just in case” or is it just worth biting the bullet and doing the lot? 

Many thanks 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 19 at 17:52
I had a clutch judder on mine, mostly when cold.  When I took the gearbox out to change a bearing I did both the clutch and the DMF (at about 100k).  I wouldn't want to take the bloody great thing out twice!  

I got the parts for about £450 ish all in which I was happy with (The 1.9 is bout £100 less I think).  It has cured the judder completely which I had had for quite a few years.  When I checked the old DMF against the new one it wasn't terrible but it was noticeably sloppier.  Unless you can find a definite problem (like oil on the centre plate as Greg says) it probably isn't worth the risk of not changing the lot even at 80k.  The DMF needs new bolts which adds another £16 - £20 when you are pricing it up.  
2004 2.5 174
taffrowe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taffrowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 19 at 17:55
thanks for the info guys, think it’s top of the list for the New Year for piece of mind. 
 Post Reply Post Reply