The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - V6 LPG engine and overdrive gearbox transplant.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V6 LPG engine and overdrive gearbox transplant.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 11 at 09:42
Nice wheels what are they and do they just fit straight on.
mackney.com on tour with a LT28 petrol 4 speed low roof 1991
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 11 at 01:26
Hi, They are actually old Range Rover wheels in a peculiar size of 6x16. It was convenient the offset was just right. They don't fit straight on sadly. I had to make hub adaptors for them.
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 11 at 22:40
Originally posted by BeJay BeJay wrote:

Andy,
          can't fault the montego 2.0l turbo diesel unit (it's not a Rover engine actually a Perkins Prima engine) I put one in my landrover lightweight (air portable) when I had it, compared to the original 2.25 petrol engine it produced way more power, was much quicker off the mark and had loads more torque, and the bonus was it just about doubled the fuel figures (used to struggle to better 18 mpg with the old 2.25 Unhappy) brilliant engine, would still be going long after the actual Montego had rotted away from around it LOL and no fancy wiring or electronics to sort, when it was in I just drained the fuel tank, refilled with diesel, bled it through, make sure the stop solenoid has a power feed, crank it over and she fired straight up, not too sure how it'd handle a hi top LT but the lightweight was the best part of 2 tonne and it didn't have any probs pulling that.
                                      cheers Jack.

P.S. if you're seriously looking it may be worth your while keeping an eye out on some landrover or offroad forums or the classified ads in the 4x4 mags as it's a popular swap into SWB series landrovers.

Guys, I just looked up the Montego diesel engine. It only has a few more HP than the 6 pot lump I have now so what is the benefit? I know it is a good unit and efficient but it cant be better than the 1.9tdi.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 11 at 23:51
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

Guys, I just looked up the Montego diesel engine. It only has a few more HP than the 6 pot lump I have now so what is the benefit? I know it is a good unit and efficient but it cant be better than the 1.9tdi.

the main reason I mentioned the montego 2.0 TD was because it would be a good strong economical and simple, (no electronics to worry about), replacement for an old 2.0 petrol LT (a straight six won't fit in the hole without major alterations apparently).
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 19:30
I'm curious to know more about how you linked up the gear linkage. This is the hardest part of these engine conversions because the gearchange is via levers rather than cables.
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 20:15
Hi, For the V6 transplant I cut the gear lever from the Scimitar gearbox short and then trial and error bent the VW linkage to shape, bolted it to the stubby gearlever and just kept working it until I could get all 4 forward gears. It took a little while but we got there in the end, and it now works as well as it did with  the VW running gear in it, or should I say, just as badly! I am now saving up for a sequential gearbox from Elite transmissions. That would give me a clutchless 6 speed manaual with a choice of ratios so I can get a really overdriven 6th. The trouble is it is £5000!! Yep that sure is a lot of wonga... 

Edited by Jam-Man - 30 Aug 11 at 20:18
Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 21:54
That's interesting to know... I haven't really looked at how the gear linkages work on the LT but going by what you're saying you could cut the gearstick down on any RWD gearbox and modify the original linkage to suit (with time and effort). That opens up a whole relm of possible engine/gearbox combos....
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 22:36
It took a lot of fiddling with the linkage in and out lots of times with a small bend at a time, but anything is possible. The main problem is that you are converting the linkage to operate from a side lever gearbox to a top lever one, so you are altering the pitch angles the linkage is designed to operate through to actually select the gears. Added to that you have the problem that the RHD VW linkage was clearly designed by a German seeking revenge for WW2!! The quality of the whole thing is pretty poor with rubber 'balls' where there should be rose joints, etc. That's why it's never any good right from new. If I don't go for the sequential box I'll re-design a new linkage from scratch for this box, but it won't be easy.
Bryan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 22:43
Have you thought about converting the system to use a cable shifting operation?

With some creative bracketry on top of the gearbox and a gearstick/cables from the likes of a Bedford Rascal (which I happen to have in the shed) you could easily have the necessary movement in both directions with a lot less work. If you could find a suitable gearbox that already uses cable operation you'd be laughing!!
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 11 at 23:34
Hi Bryan, I thought about that but couldn't work out how to make cables operate any of the gearboxes available for the old v6 engine to be honest. I think the best solution for me is the sequential box as it solves the gear ratio as well. I'll start saving now!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123