The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - V6 LPG engine and overdrive gearbox transplant.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V6 LPG engine and overdrive gearbox transplant.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V6 LPG engine and overdrive gearbox transplant.
    Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 14:22
Hi, I've just fitted a 1973 Capri 3 litre V6 engine and Scimitar gearbox with laycock overdrive to my 1995 'CLassic' LT van if any one is interested in that? I was fed up with the dirty, slow, wheezing joke of an engine VW ruined an otherwise fantastic van with! I did it because I love these vans. Performance is fantastic. Power and torque are 138hp and 180ft/lb torque respectively. Economy is fantastic as we fitted LPG at the same time! This now gives economy of equivalent of 35mpg with the performance of a modern van. Best of both worlds... I can't say the fitting was easy but it was straightforward, and it does drop in very well and looks as if it's always been there. It's now much easier to service as well and parts are cheap. Unlike VW parts! The only way you can tell it's not standard is by the twin pipes out the back. I've done it as far as possible with all easily available parts, so no specially crafted stuff except for the gear linkage. Even the exhaust install is all off the shelf factory stuff, and a mix of Capri and Jaguar parts that all just fit together. Speedo cable, clutch cable, radiator, etc are all original VW items and didn't even need to be removed. A big Kenlowe electric fan takes care of cooling, and the cooling hoses are all standard and mate up directly and in the correct place to the VW hoses so all gauges work as VW intended. Only extra switch is the overdrive one. Total cost including all parts, but not labour was under £400 and that included buying a rotten Capri and a Scimitar gearbox and having the VW prop modified at one end.

Since I originally posted this under the 'laycock overdrive' thread back in August I'm pleased to say I've now sorted the gear linkage, and think I've sorted the rear axle ratio issue, thanks to info on this forum regarding the bigger Transit wheels. I now have a bigger rolling radius and effectively altered rear axle ratio. I can also put Jaguar overdrive bits in the Scimitar casing which will give another significant improvement. Hope this is all of interest to some of you, and that I haven't bored the pants off you, or committed sacrilege by throwing away the boat anchors VW laughingly refer to as an engine and gearbox? I now have better pictures if anyone is still interested, and if Canny will still post them for me, as it's completely beyond me?

And for any of you who think I'm mad putting myself through all this on a van worth not-a-lot.... Well you're absolutely right I think, but nights are long up here in rural North Wales... What can I say!!
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 14:33
Pictures please .. email them to me and i'll post them up

the-deathstar@hotmail.co.uk
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 14:33
Nice one. Fancy doing a Rover V8 myself with an auto box.
You can send the pics to me if you like and I'll post em for you.

softwarereg01@googlemail.com
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 14:58
Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

Hi, I've just fitted a 1973 Capri 3 litre V6 engine and Scimitar gearbox with laycock overdrive to my 1995 'CLassic' LT van if any one is interested in that? I was fed up with the dirty, slow, wheezing joke of an engine VW ruined an otherwise fantastic van with! I did it because I love these vans. Performance is fantastic. Power and torque are 138hp and 180ft/lb torque respectively. Economy is fantastic as we fitted LPG at the same time! This now gives economy of equivalent of 35mpg with the performance of a modern van. Best of both worlds... I can't say the fitting was easy but it was straightforward, and it does drop in very well and looks as if it's always been there. It's now much easier to service as well and parts are cheap. Unlike VW parts! The only way you can tell it's not standard is by the twin pipes out the back. I've done it as far as possible with all easily available parts, so no specially crafted stuff except for the gear linkage. Even the exhaust install is all off the shelf factory stuff, and a mix of Capri and Jaguar parts that all just fit together. Speedo cable, clutch cable, radiator, etc are all original VW items and didn't even need to be removed. A big Kenlowe electric fan takes care of cooling, and the cooling hoses are all standard and mate up directly and in the correct place to the VW hoses so all gauges work as VW intended. Only extra switch is the overdrive one. Total cost including all parts, but not labour was under £400 and that included buying a rotten Capri and a Scimitar gearbox and having the VW prop modified at one end.

Since I originally posted this under the 'laycock overdrive' thread back in August I'm pleased to say I've now sorted the gear linkage, and think I've sorted the rear axle ratio issue, thanks to info on this forum regarding the bigger Transit wheels. I now have a bigger rolling radius and effectively altered rear axle ratio. I can also put Jaguar overdrive bits in the Scimitar casing which will give another significant improvement. Hope this is all of interest to some of you, and that I haven't bored the pants off you, or committed sacrilege by throwing away the boat anchors VW laughingly refer to as an engine and gearbox? I now have better pictures if anyone is still interested, and if Canny will still post them for me, as it's completely beyond me?

And for any of you who think I'm mad putting myself through all this on a van worth not-a-lot.... Well you're absolutely right I think, but nights are long up here in rural North Wales... What can I say!!

Where are you in North Wales Jam man????  I have got to see this beast, I like the idea Clap 
I'm a bell end
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 15:03
Llangefni in Anglesey, just had a look ont owners map
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 15:05
Chers Andy,  thats only a 25-30 minute drive for me Smile 
I'm a bell end
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 15:09
Its a whole bloody day's drive and a tank of gas for me otherwise I'd be there now.

ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 15:21
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Its a whole bloody day's drive and a tank of gas for me otherwise I'd be there now.

I know what you mean Andy, I used to work in South Wales selling shite to chemists. I used to set off on a sunday evening and stop down there for the week, it's all crap roads too. But I do like South Wales though.
I'm a bell end
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 15:47
Hi guys. Thanks for the offers to post the pics due to me being a computer moron! Andy, I'll send you the pics now but if you're too busy, t'onion has offered very kindly to put them up too...

I'm not actually in Llangefni, but I didn't want to publicly give my exact location on Anglesey as you never know who is watching. Maybe I'm just paranoid! But the van does spend it's time 'living' between places in the Caernarfon area, Anglesey, and Llandudno, and the van will be coming to Llandudno for a full respray and MOT in October. I think that's a bit closer to you Zub? I've included a picture of a trial fit on the hub of a rather tasty Range-Rover alloy wheel I have, which happens to have the correct offset and is a nice 6" wide. So now all I need is a spare set of rear halfshafts, drums and front hubs to weld up and re-drill to Range-Rover spec if anyone has any?

Any questions or comments please feel free to fire away, unless you're telling me I'm a muppet for doing this... Wife's told me that already!!
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 16:03
Andy, apologies... I'm in Belgium at present and the internet provider at the place I'm at won't let me send emails, only receive them. So please bear with me. All the pics are loaded in my outbox and ready to go!
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 16:18
Incidentally, I measured the Rover V8 up as well, as I'm also into Rangie's (and a Jaguar 4.2 straight 6 I had lying around, but that's another story!) The Jag would have gone in well, but the width of the Rover, and the fact it has all it's anciallaries pointing everywhere made it an awkward fit. It will go... hell, anything will go if you have the will! But, it's not the best choice in my view. Also, if you fit an auto box, you won't have an overdrive gear, which even with 16" rims will rev it's nuts off at 60mph and return spectacularly bad fuel consumption. Rover V8's can never be persuaded to run economically. Ford 'essex' V6's can. Also, as you may know. Ford's 'essex' is a real popular choice for Land-Rover conversions too, if anything more so than the Rover V8. The reason is the V6 develops it's all important (and pretty damn impressive) torque all low down. Which is just what we need in a commercial vehicle. Revvy engines that develop their torque higher up the rev range are no good to us, and although the V8 isn't exactly revvy, it is still beaten low down by the V6. So, if weight is not an issue, which, let's face it, it isn't to us or Landy owners, then I think the V6 is a better option. Plus, you can also find a 2.5 version of the old Essex if you want no trouble from your insurer, as it's almost the same capacity as the petrol version of VW'S own engine. Whereas if you go up 1100cc they'll get real twitchy without braking mods and engineers reports, etc. And all that trouble for no appreciable gain on power or torque, despite what Rovers claimed power outputs for the V8 were... Of course the Jag straight 6 would have been the best choice overall at 210hp and ridiculaous torque, but would have again caused trouble with the insurers, etc! Please accept my apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, or if you're a die-hard Rover V8 lover. I love it too, but not in my van, or where a 'proper' V8 is needed. It's good in my Rangie, but worse than my 302 American Ford in my other car! I digress, so time to shut the hell up!!
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 16:33
Originally posted by Jam-Man Jam-Man wrote:

Hi guys. Thanks for the offers to post the pics due to me being a computer moron! Andy, I'll send you the pics now but if you're too busy, t'onion has offered very kindly to put them up too...

I'm not actually in Llangefni, but I didn't want to publicly give my exact location on Anglesey as you never know who is watching. Maybe I'm just paranoid! But the van does spend it's time 'living' between places in the Caernarfon area, Anglesey, and Llandudno, and the van will be coming to Llandudno for a full respray and MOT in October. I think that's a bit closer to you Zub? I've included a picture of a trial fit on the hub of a rather tasty Range-Rover alloy wheel I have, which happens to have the correct offset and is a nice 6" wide. So now all I need is a spare set of rear halfshafts, drums and front hubs to weld up and re-drill to Range-Rover spec if anyone has any?

Any questions or comments please feel free to fire away, unless you're telling me I'm a muppet for doing this... Wife's told me that already!!

Could you let me know when you are taking the van to LLandudno, I'd love to pop along and take a look, nosey buggers us on here you know LOL  Thumbs Up 
I'm a bell end
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 16:40
Hi Zub, I'll let you know when it's coming over next. Hopefully in a few weeks if I manage to get all the jobs done I want to before then on it. It's still wearing it's original paint, and needs a respray now to stop the rust turning to rot, which is already happening in some places. It really isn't as well made as my 1979 one. Strange that... So, I'm preparing it for MOT now, and sorting out some minor mods, such as putting heat cloth round all fuel pipes, and re-routing wiring. It's amazing how much heat a V6 trapped in a box in the cab can generate! Just changed water pump, etc, etc... I'll keep you posted. Before it hits the road again properly I want to have the modified hubs and alloys on too...
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 09 at 16:45
I'm looking forward to seeing it already, thanks David.

Ian 
I'm a bell end
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 16:36
1st batch of pics!!

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 16:51

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 16:53

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 16:59

Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 17:01
Thanks for doing that Andy. Hope someone finds them useful.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 17:04
I think these are the last, if I've missed any just let me know the file.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>