The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Usable OEM wheels on T3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 08 at 14:29
Yep. I'm a syncro guy :D Only pics of my syncros here.
But: rims are good on both syncros and 2wd. All the wheels in my pics fits neatly on 2wds..
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 08 at 14:50
Wheels yes but not the tyres for a 2WD.
taigagreen View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 12:50
You can easily run a 2wd T3 with 215/75-15s. In fact, there are several out there. Certainly not the choice for a lowered car but very useable for long distance driving and rough roads. I've tried :D

Edited by taigagreen
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 15:49

Originally posted by taigagreen taigagreen wrote:

You can easily run a 2wd T3 with 215/75-15s. In fact, there are several out there. Certainly not the choice for a lowered car but very useable for long distance driving and rough roads. I've tried :D

By fitting those size tyres it will seriously alter the gearing and speedometer reading because they are 50mm bigger than standard 185R14C's.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 18:02
Well, yes. But checking the accuracy of the speedo with two different GPS's shows a truer reading. Speedo still shows a few clicks too little. As for the gearing I didnt find the diesel to be slower because of the tires. Volks I've talked to who have tried 235/75-15s on stock gearing and 1.6td did not recommend that combo. Makes the car slow and sleepy. On a 112hp wbx the result is higher consumption and slower acceleration.

How many T3 drivers with 16", 17" or 18" wheels have a wheel diameter equal the stock size (64 cm)? I wouldnt recommend anything much less than 68cm (ca 205/75-15 or 225/55-17). This is opinionated of course. MY taste is for more comfort.
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 19:24

How many T3 drivers with 16", 17" or 18" wheels have a wheel diameter equal the stock size (64 cm)?

Me for one....well as near as is possible anyway...and probably 99% of people on here as well who run larger than standard wheels.

I wouldnt recommend anything much less than 68cm (ca 205/75-15 or 225/55-17). This is opinionated of course. MY taste is for more comfort.

It was VW's opinion to have 64cm rolling circumference and they did spend many millions designing these vans so why recommend something larger?

Edited by g60steve
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 20:22
Originally posted by g60steve g60steve wrote:

How many T3 drivers with 16", 17" or 18" wheels have a wheel diameter equal the stock size (64 cm)?

Me for one....well as near as is possible anyway...and probably 99% of people on here as well who run larger than standard wheels.

I wouldnt recommend anything much less than 68cm (ca 205/75-15 or 225/55-17). This is opinionated of course. MY taste is for more comfort.

It was VW's opinion to have 64cm rolling circumference and they did spend many millions designing these vans so why recommend something larger?

I'm only speaking from my own experience. Bigger is better :D

As for keeping things as VW intended: what is the point of our hobby modifying T3 if we're not supposed to better or modify these cars? I, for one, feel that for instance the original brakes, soundproofing, cooling of the gearbox, etc is not good enough for everyday use.

Why are bigger wheels not a problem on a syncro?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 20:26
I love a good argument
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 20:39

I'm just stating the fact that the tyres you say are ok for 2WD's...are not due to the increase in diameter which will cause tyre to arch contact on anything that is lowered....as well as the increased gearing and wrong speedo reading.

I'm all for modifying something to make it handle and brake better but as for fitting larger wheels i personally like to keep the rolling circumference as near as possible to the standard set up.

Bigger wheels/tyres are fitted to syncros to increase gearing i believe?

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taigagreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 08 at 20:53
Originally posted by g60steve g60steve wrote:

I'm just stating the fact that the tyres you say are ok for 2WD's...are not due to the increase in diameter which will cause tyre to arch contact on anything that is lowered....as well as the increased gearing and wrong speedo reading.

I'm all for modifying something to make it handle and brake better but as for fitting larger wheels i personally like to keep the rolling circumference as near as possible to the standard set up.

Bigger wheels/tyres are fitted to syncros to increase gearing i believe?

I'll have to test my 2wd T3 with 215/75-15s when its lowered to check the arch contact issue. I'm not sure it will be a problem with the right offset wheels. No T3 with stock rolling diameter has correct speedo readings. Over 70 cm might be too much. But 70 cm is dead on :D

There are several reasons for putting bigger wheels on a syncro. Not to look silly compared to other 4x4s is one, better traction in bad conditions is another. You get lower rpms on the highway but also slightly less useable torque in the mud. For me its about looks and comfort. The car is more stable and feels safer.
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 08 at 00:53
For me, lowering does not always (often) look good.  I'd be more interested in changing the spring rates rather than the heights to play with handling.  That in itself is an issue because a T3 is heavy.  Someone better than me has done the detailed calcs of what works.  I'dneed really good justification to change too much.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
edinko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edinko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 08 at 17:11
this infos save me of the trouble. thnx.
vw jx NO MORE :(
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 09 at 15:53
has anyone tried or used some steel rims off a t4 or vw sharan/galaxy, are they 5x112 i presume high et so spacers needed?
shapey View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 09 at 19:30
Originally posted by covdubber covdubber wrote:

has anyone tried or used some steel rims off a t4 or vw sharan/galaxy, are they 5x112 i presume high et so spacers needed?

wrong offset and centre bore size... best off with T3 syncro or merc if you want bigger than 14" steels on a T3.
covdubber View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covdubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 21:09
just to say i have some merc 7.5x16 steels OE et51, simular but not the same as shapeys!

i have them fitted with 20mm spacers but could get away with a bit less i reckon, fitted with 235/60/16 rear & 205/55/16 front no scrubbing & my van is lowered 50mm on AVO springs, when i find my cable for my phone i'll pop pics up!
Body View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 10 at 15:55
The wheels on BA's van (a 1983 GMC G-15  350ci v8)
 were 15" American Racing vector 14 Spoke wheels with 60 Series BF Goodrich Sport Truck T/A radial tyres

A team  woo hoo!!!!!Ouch

Edited by Body - 12 Jan 10 at 15:59
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 10 at 20:24
Tried 2 OEM wheels tonight on the back of my 82 Westfalia.

Speedline forged alloys from an A6 16" et45 (7.5J I think). These had 205/55x16 tyres fitted. The tyres are not rated for the bus by I wanted to get an idea of clearance as I am looking to fit 205/60's. They clear the rear hub (chamfer on the wheels), sit flat but would need 5mm spacers to have acceptable clearance to  the top hat of the strut area. Didn't try on the front.

Next up was a pair of steels from an A8/A6 for winter tyres. 16" et 42. 7J. No tryes on these. Again cleared the hub. There's a radius pressed into the hub opening of the wheel which is equal or greater than the radius on the rear hub. Sits flat. I might try these with some conti 205/60's extra load. It's the top of the spring tower which is the problem. The clearance to the arms is bigger.

As far as I tell my Westfalia is standard ride height. Does seem to have a bit too much camber.

In both case the studs would need to be about 5mm longer.

Edited by tram-man - 11 Oct 10 at 21:18

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 23:11
Just an update on the A8 wheel steels. I machined the centres out to 60.5mm tonight (from 57.1mm). Should clear front hub now although I will have to remove and refit grease cap. Although for the rears it was not necessary I choose to do all 4 wheels as the rears were not a snug fit on the hub anyway. As you can see there is still a shoulder on the pressed centre.

clocking

tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 10 at 22:10
Now fitted both A8 steels. To fit fronts grease cap has to be removed. Rears are fitted without spacer (running 205/60x16's). I will be fitting longer studs shortly. I'm using 10mm spacers on the front.

Muthafunka View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muthafunka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 11 at 18:47
Originally posted by tram-man tram-man wrote:

Now fitted both A8 steels. To fit fronts grease cap has to be removed. Rears are fitted without spacer (running 205/60x16's). I will be fitting longer studs shortly. I'm using 10mm spacers on the front.

What size are these? any pics of on van?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>