The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ur Van

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 38>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 13:26
Here's my creepy heap -

1977 LT28 Motorhome, now with the later D24 2.4L six-cylinder lump fitted
Spanner man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 14 at 16:11
Hi,me and my wife bought a lt35 camper,1989.will post more details later.Anne and Andrew

Edited by Spanner man - 20 Dec 14 at 20:13
Own 1989 LT35e camper
Carlos&Hannah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlos&Hannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 14 at 23:01
Here's my baby.... LT28 2.4D low top

charlieboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 12:50
That's weirdly cool, dude!

.... look great slammed! When's someone with more skills than me gonna drop one of these all the way down?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlos&Hannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 13:49
already in the process! running it on 16" transit wheels now, getting them banded in the new year. Going to flip the rear axle, cut the front coils and make some extended rear leaf spring hangers to match the ride height! to sit on stretched tyres! cant wait!
The Stig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 13:56
Stretched rubber chopped springs ( mot fail right there )and banded wheels on a commercial weight vehicle? Have a word with your insurance company first or you may be left in the cold should the worst occur.

Edited by The Stig - 13 Dec 14 at 13:57
The mystery brick-yard administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlos&Hannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 14:13
one step ahead! M.O.T garage are helping with the work! :)

herts insurance only want £50 extra on insurance!

Summer will be looking good!
The Stig View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 14 at 16:34
They are happy with stretched rubber and banded wheels? Wow that's a first!
The mystery brick-yard administrator
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 10:07
Originally posted by Carlos&Hannah Carlos&Hannah wrote:

running it on 16" transit wheels now, getting them banded in the new year. Going to flip the rear axle, cut the front coils and make some extended rear leaf spring hangers to match the ride height! to sit on stretched tyres!

herts insurance only want £50 extra on insurance

maybe I'm getting to be a synical old sod in my old age but I can't help thinking you may have been just a tad economical with what you told the insurance company regarding all the mods you're planning Wink LOL 
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 10:54
Yeah me too! I can't see them liking banded steels for a starter as no one who does them will give you a cert for road use, chopped springs are a bodge and stretched tyres on a van the size an weight of a Lt are a no no in my eyes!
But hey if they'll cover you properly (so should you be unfortunate enough to crash into a bus stop full of orpan nuns due to dodgy suspension / wheel mods your arse is still covered) then its your bus to do what you like to. I'd definitely be want it in writing off them though.

Modding stuff is one thing, doing it safely is another.

Edited by jason k - 14 Dec 14 at 10:59
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carlos&Hannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 18:34
can i just say.... PPL never used to want to touch bay windows or T3's... they weren't desirable. Then ppl like myself started playing around, not afraid to try new things. Ive had 6 bay's, 4 T3's. Its due to ppl like myself who dared to mess around, try new things... home mechanics etc that are partially to thank for the huge increase in demand for those vans and value of them as a result. If People dare to try, possibly make mistakes, learn and try new things with the MK1 LT's then these too will become desirable and value increase also. I get stopped all the time by ppl who ask what van it is, compliments etc. everyone is quick to criticise the non purists... But its creativity that created all the VW vans in the first place!
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 18:56
Not criticizing your vision or ideas but being realistic a Lt is a whole lot heavier than a bay or wedge, of which I've modified a few too! I can't see stretched tyres or banded wheels being safe for road use or up to the satisfaction of an insurance company assesor that's all.
Best to check if its still insurable before doing lots of work!
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 19:21

As said ^^^^ your van your choice of 'look' as long as its both roadworthy and safe, personally I consider 'chopped' springs on anything an unsafe bodge and banded steels with stretched tyres on a van the size and weight of an LT1 also unsafe, and as far as the insurance only wanting an extra £50 to fully cover you if you've declared all of those mods fully, then sorry but I'm a great believer in the old adage, If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is.
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 20:02
...and since any reason to be stopped by PC Plod, will be followed by the obscured rear number plate card.

Just saying.

There were two at the LT Meet in September, one had Lexus wheels but the other pictured below has 'something else'

This may be heading towards another type of thread, but the grey van has been around a good while and the Lexus van is a recent conversion. I never did talk to Rupert about wheels and stuff. but Eds' Lexus has adapter plates.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
tontoe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tontoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 14 at 20:43

can i just say.... PPL never used to want to touch bay windows or T3's... they weren't desirable. Then ppl like myself started playing around, not afraid to try new things. Ive had 6 bay's, 4 T3's. Its due to ppl like myself who dared to mess around, try new things... home mechanics etc that are partially to thank for the huge increase in demand for those vans and value of them as a result. If People dare to try, possibly make mistakes, learn and try new things with the MK1 LT's then these too will become desirable and value increase also. I get stopped all the time by ppl who ask what van it is, compliments etc. everyone is quick to criticise the non purists... But its creativity that created all the VW vans in the first place!

Heres my two pence worth. I dont have a problem with what you are doing, I have been modding cars and vans for over 25 years, boundarys are there to be moved. Just do it legally! Banded wheels are in most instances superbly welded but as wobbly as shit and very illegal. And stretched tires!,,, well a bit is fine but the usual 155 on a 8 inch rim is just plane silly and looks shite.I think what the guys are trying to say is get out there and make a statement but do it safe,oh and before you dismiss me I drive a slammed golf that wont go up a curb as a daily driver and a t3 with more wrong bits than right bits, but in the unlucky event of a accident my insurance has every detail and nobody will lose out!
LIFE IS JUST A GAME WE PLAY
CAMPERJAM TUG OF WAR TUGGER
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 01:34
Well I hope you slam it Carlos! And I reckon it will be bloody brilliant!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 15 at 01:36
... And Ruperts V8 powered matt green bus there has redrilled Range Rover wheels I think. It' a killer bus!
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 15 at 19:14
Originally posted by tontoe tontoe wrote:

Heres my two pence worth. I dont have a problem with what you are doing, I have been modding cars and vans for over 25 years, boundarys are there to be moved. Just do it legally! Banded wheels are in most instances superbly welded but as wobbly as shit and very illegal. And stretched tires!,,, well a bit is fine but the usual 155 on a 8 inch rim is just plane silly and looks shite.I think what the guys are trying to say is get out there and make a statement but do it safe,oh and before you dismiss me I drive a slammed golf that wont go up a curb as a daily driver and a t3 with more wrong bits than right bits, but in the unlucky event of a accident my insurance has every detail and nobody will lose out!

Yeah, this is the one. I agree completely!

If you've got the skills then anything is possible - I'd love to see the van when its done! Big smile

Edited by icky - 06 Mar 15 at 19:14
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
Bundas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 15 at 14:53
Our new LT in front of the house after the long trip from Germany:

lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 15 at 20:23
I must hit the like button !Thumbs Up
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 38>