The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unexplained wheel wobble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyspitfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unexplained wheel wobble
    Posted: 13 Jun 14 at 15:37
Hi guys,has anyone had this one before,im running a set of Mercedes alloys on my bus,they are 16 inch rims,running a van rated tyre,the size is 215/65/16,the front wheels have been balanced,but when she gets up to about 60,she starts to shake like an ikea wardrobe !!
You can drive through it,and it seems to clear at about seventy,
but can any one explaine whats going on ????
andy.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 14 at 15:55
egg shaped tyre?
  get wheels balanced again!

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
andyspitfire View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyspitfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 14 at 16:13
Many thanks for the info,think I will get them checked again,the two front tyres are brand new,but the garage did fit them in a bit of a hurry,there is the possibility they may have dropped a clanger,
many thanks
andy.
Scimdiesel View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scimdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 14 at 21:51
You can balance an egg shaped tyre.   Some chap at national tyres refused to understand that when you balance a egg shaped tyre it is still egg shaped and will cause nastiness.    He refused to give me a new remould ( student days) i coukd see it was not round on his machine.... he said it must be the car out of balance. No more national tyres or motorway remoulds for me... Losers
Without engineers science is just philosophy..... Joined the revolution with a 18 year old TDI :
Allanw View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
SYCOPHANTIC TRAINEE WELSHMAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allanw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 14 at 11:54
Have you got the correct wheel hardware?

radius vs. taper seat bolts? The  usually pull up OK if wrong, but are dangerous, as they can come loose.
Allan :-)

'84 T3 Kombi, EJ25 DOHC, apprentice Viking...

Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 14 at 12:31
Are you using spacers or adaptors ?

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
 Post Reply Post Reply