The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ugly Betty, my mission

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ugly Betty, my mission
    Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 07:50
I thought I'd share a little on my LT, if time allows we are going to do a 10000km round trip in her in the near future.
its abit of a story and a little thrifty but I love a challengeSmile
These cars are very rare in Australia and a good friend saw her on Gumtree classifieds and knowing i was looking for something, contacted me and said
"THIS IS UGLY, YOU SHOULD BUY IT"
It was for sale 300miles from me so a friend looked at it and said "IT RUNS LIKE A CLOCK BUT ITS THAT UGLY YOU HAVE TO HIT IT WITH A STICK BEFORE YOU GET IN IT"
I took the challenge and rang the owner direct to try to negotiate a price, the problem being the windscreen was broken and being a European import I had no chance of getting a screen. The owner wouldn't come to the party so I thought, "no screen no buy!" Later in the week the vehicle sold so I kept hunting.
Lo and behold 4 weeks later the vehicle came back on the market at a lower price, by this point I had found a screen in Australia and explained to the guy that I didn't buy the car. I rang the couple who bought it and it turns out they were European Backpackers who were leaving the country but had done a quick 5000km trip in "Big Bertha" as they called her :). We negotiated a deal and planned to meet in my home town in a week where I would hand them a very low amount of cash and 2 bus tickets HURRAY!!! deal done!!
4 days later I recieved a very somber phonecall, the couple had been travelling and the police pulled them up for no brakelights, they saw the screen and immediatley put a defect notice on the vehicle, they then rang me and informed me what happened and pleaded for a deal so they could get out of the car and go home. I basically got the vehicle for a song but lent them my car and fed them for a few days. I met nice people and had some laughs and got the UGLIEST car on the street :)
Heres how she sat when delivered

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 08:43
Welcome aboard, and remember:  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"  WinkTongue
jimmycadillac View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 08:54
we have a plan to leave on the 15th of Feb so it went in to a mates workshop to get some stuff done so as to get it over the inspection.
We replaced all the hoses including adapting hoses form Astra's. Gemini's (aussie vauxhall) Commodores and the like. Made the dual battery system work and the heater. Now theres an interesting story, the heater fan doesn't work and its not a part you can get here in Oz so we adapted a 12 volt dash fan from an automotive shop to fit Big smile Whilst this was going on i organised some new tyres (the old ones were cracked) dug out in my shed and got some "portawall whites" and a set of smoothie caps from a mate for $100 and hacked off the roo bar :)

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 09:00
there was abit of a gap in the afternoon so I got out some wet and dry and got rid of the god awful "leaf" paint work off the sides, shes got true patina now Wink
a mate who owns a panel shop came for a look and decided to chip out a big peice of bog (bondo, putty) out of the front...
"see you have to do the body now before you go!!" nice one Ron
A friend who is a plumber owed me a favour and is replacing all the gas lines and fitting for the hot water system, shower and stove. The present system has the lines held in by zip ties between the heat shield and the exhaust
"look at me, i'm driving a mobile bomb!"

I'll update tomorrow as we do more,
LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN OuchOuchOuchOuchOuchOuch
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 11:36

love a good story, keep up the instalments, especially when you start your travels Thumbs Up
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 19:22
Welcome JimmyCadillacBeerand congratulations on the purchase.

Regarding your heater fan, the motors are available through various factors, probably also covering the colonies. The motor and fan are the same as BMW K100(?K75 too?)

There have also been a few threads already, http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic69845.html

More pictures and words. Good man.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 14 at 22:14
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

Welcome JimmyCadillacBeerand congratulations on the purchase.

Regarding your heater fan, the motors are available through various factors, probably also covering the colonies. The motor and fan are the same as BMW K100(?K75 too?)

There have also been a few threads already, http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/topic69845.html

More pictures and words. Good man.

thanks LT, I can get the fan but at $250 and 3 -4 weeks i didn't have time, I'm trying to get on the road ASAP :)
Going to take the wife to the workshop today so we can clean up the inside a little and try to get a bearing on what to take, where to store it and how to use all the wonderful storage nooks and crannies Star
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 14 at 06:43
?What does an Oz dildo look like?LOL
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 14 at 13:17
Ohhhh, LT, you are just trying to get him going...

JC, watch out for the swear filters. They are a bit weird on this forum (which, BTW, is not a club as you will be told if you use that term), haha.

Edited by Canada LT28 - 11 Feb 14 at 13:18
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 14 at 13:33
?Who me? Surely not matron.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 14 at 17:44
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

Welcome aboard, and remember:  "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"  WinkTongue
I quite agree !Big smile
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
lorryloader View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorryloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 14 at 17:54
http://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/volkswagen-lt28/6390233

Guess what one for sale here with same roof in Ireland !
LT-45 HIGH TOP + LT-55-BEVERTAIL.Mercedes Atego tilt n slide with lorry loader crane.
vw magic View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 14 at 18:48
i dont think i have seen that kind of roof before, Wacko
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 14 at 02:27
Thanks mate

that one in Ireland is exactley the same as mine, apart from the fridge position its spot on!!

i've just snuck" it home to do some work on it, going to remove the domestic fridge and replace it with the 3 way fridge I got for free, also I'll remove the factory heater unit in the rear. Its Australia, what do I need a heater for :)

I'll do some pics through the day and post them, she's off to the panel shop tomorrow to get a tiz here and there :)
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 14 at 02:28
Ohand good news!!

After the 4th fitment, the whitewalls didn't fall off :)
timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 14 at 08:40
Looking good. She's a beauty. I like the white walls :) That was indeed "a big peice of bog"!
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 14 at 09:26
So its been a very long and abit of an "oh dear" day
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 14 at 09:35

I started the day by loading the roof up and checking that everything was going to fit. Yesterday we fitted the flat screen tv in a better spot and the DVD, did some cupboard cleaning and had a general fit up..
THATS WHERE THE FUN STOPPEDSleepySleepySleepySleepySleepy

WE STARTED TODAYS WORK BY PULLING THE WINDSCREEN OUTCry

To say "there was no metal underneath is abit of an understatement, the top is non existant and the A pillars are swiss cheese, theres about a third of the bottom strip but NEVER FEAR!!!

if were going this far it was out with the side windows too and do the lot Tongue
There was a section above the sink that was tatally missing and was leaking slightly sowe attacked that first

Sandblasted the bad edges and replaced the metal, we had a piece folded up and welded in by lunchtime, then it was grinding and a little glass work, final coat tomorrow.

Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmycadillac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 14 at 09:41
Next after some grotty takeaway burgers and a coke we attacked the front windscreen. Again our local "sheety" was on the ball and has shaped all the replacement panels for $30 so were still on track for the "cheapest build of the century"
as you can see theres some issues behind the screen (oh and this is the good bit)

I also just found a shot of the roof section discussed before...

So shes in the shed for the night, shes glass less and I'm tired, but tomorrows another day!!!!!
Beer Oclock!!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 14 at 16:14
Putting the WhiteWalls on was a bit premature then.Wink

The good thing for you is you can work outside at any time you like without getting cold or rained on.

$30 !!!!!Shocked I just checked the exchange rate and it is £16.19.Shocked

Proper bargain, but ?Will it last once he realises how much you need?

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>