The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo problems
    Posted: 31 Jul 17 at 17:49
Hi not a new member but its been a long time since being on. 
I am looking for some honest advice. I have just been told it looks like my turbo has gone , still running just pouring out oil and running flatish.
 The thing is its a 2.5 174, had it since Christmas 2009 it is a late 2005 model. whenever it needs something I get it done, serviced regularly and water and oil are always bang on never any noticeable losses . Not suffered the clutch problems or drive shaft problems just the same recurring problem the turbo.
 This will be my third turbo that I have had replaced , now after the second one failed I asked the garage to do as much checking as possible to make sure not something else causing this problem. I have been told that without dismantling the engine to check possible pressure variations ( I believe that is what I was told it was a couple of years ago) they could not find anything else that would cause the problem. So I held off on an engine rebuild thinking it was just one of those things.
Now the turbo has gone again, no more than 20-30k between each turbo. Could it be the fact I used reconditioned turbos or would you suspect something else amiss.
Just to note the garage has a good reputation even with other garages in the area( derby) that I have been told to try.
Any genuine advice would be appreciated .

gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 01:24
If you have access to VCDS you could log requested and actual boost to see what is happening.  If you usually drive very gently it could be that the variable vanes have gotten stuck in the low boost position.

Did you do any post-mortem examinations of the previous failed turbos ?  

What reputation does the turbo reconditioner have ?
mak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 01:48
the first replacement I got from an eBay source a factory rebuild from either latvia or lithuania . Cannot recall how it failed nothing dramatic probably the performance dropped and it was pulled by the garage. The second failure was quite dramatic the turbo blew out the exhaust ( luckily) while putting my foot down on m5 covered 6 lanes in a huge white cloud, not much left to diagnose. The turbo that replaced this ( the current one ) was sourced by the garage from a rebuilder in the derby area. As for checking on a VCD I will have to ask about to see if I can get access to someone who can look at that for me.
festa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 06:04
Turbo is going to be one of the first things to go if there is a problem with oil supply as the bearings need oil to float the shaft.
It possibly could be your recon turbo as you don't know if the core is genuine or not... plenty of chinese copies around.
You could always get an oil sample sent away to see if there is an underlaying problem going on before sticking on another turbo.
lwb 174,Wagner intercooler, rosten rods, balanced bottom end, GT2262v hybrid turbo, 2.7bar boost with full ss 76mm decat exhaust, itg filter, 440ft lbs@288bhp
mak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 17 at 06:10
Would any one know whether there is a mechanic in the Derby area they know would be capable of problem solving this ?
 Post Reply Post Reply