The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travelling to Italy question ;0)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sablepoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travelling to Italy question ;0)
    Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 18:14
Hi guys,

We are off to Italy next year in our LT for a friends wedding

My question is what basic spares would you take in case of a breakdown ? We have breakdown cover but I was just thinking if we took some basic spares the old girl may get fixed quicker if the worst happens and she conks out on us !!

We won't have room for a spare engine, gearbox etc before you suggest that

She going to have a service, cam belt change, brakes checked and new tyres before we go to be on safe side.

Look forward to your comments
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 18:41
Failing a spare van on the hitch, cables, throttle and clutch and handbrakes. All of them routed and cable-tied in position so you do not have to do it in the dark and rain and snow and hail and stuff.

You really think Italy is always sunny TashWinkWink

Check what you legally have to carry in each country. Warning triangles, light bulb sets, HiVis jackets(Stern Smile I kid you not )

All the best, and send a postcard.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 18:56
Bulb kit, belts, cables, fluids, torch, abduction kit (gaffer tape, cable ties, rubber gloves) relevant tools, pump, charger...... ADAC cover or equivalent.
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
Sablepoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sablepoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 19:34
Damn.. Didn't think of towing a SPARE VAN Chris

Please note it WILL be sunny and hot, we are going in June

Surfrider, what pump ? Water ? And what charger ? Battery ? ... Sorry I'm blonde

Thanks both x
Sablepoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sablepoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 19:36
Chris, have you heard we are famous ?! The LT. meet got in the vw camper and commercial magazine !!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 20:41
I lost my subscription to VicVan, so not aware.

?Linky? Had a quick look but no joy.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 22:05
works the other way as well, see what spares you can bring back that are hard to get here
Sablepoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sablepoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 22:57
It's in issue 86 of Volkswagen camper and commercial, I've not got it yet but it was on the volt page
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 14 at 23:18

one of those 4in1 booster packs off ebay.
start a flat battery, compressor for the tyres, light and 12v cigarette socket for chargers.
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 14 at 05:43
Originally posted by Sablepoot Sablepoot wrote:

Please note it WILL be sunny and hot, we are going in June
x

I've been in Italy in June and July several times - it was not sunny I can tell you.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 14 at 08:37
I drove down to Florence this summer in the van. Ace. Do a mountain pass, France drive is easy but boring so I always do Switzerland, most amazing scenes.
Pump for tyres and charger for main battery.
PhilJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 14 at 10:19
Swiss mountain pass in an LT? - Allow an extra week!

Phil J - VW LT 35 2.4 D 1989 Camper
jools tools View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jools tools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 14 at 10:55
I might suggest brake pads too. And how about the regulator pack for the alternator? It includes the brushes in one tiny unit. I picked one up recently for 12quid when I thought that was about to fail. Note that France requires you have a self test breathalyser on board too.
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 14 at 11:34
Er nope - January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Sablepoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sablepoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 14 at 20:07
Originally posted by PhilJ PhilJ wrote:

Ha ha we are planning to do the Switzerland route down and definitely a mountain pass if we can - maybe one of the easier ones, if there is such a thing !! I think I will start a new thread sometime re the route to Sorrento as I have more questions to ask..

Looked at the 4 in 1 booster pack on eBay and I think I will get one as looks quite a handy gadget, will definitely get spare cables and belts as suggested and get new brake pads put on.... Better to be prepared though I'm sure Ethel will be fine

Thanks for the advice so far everyone
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 14 at 06:35
Originally posted by PhilJ PhilJ wrote:

Post Reply Post Reply