FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parasitic Current Drain?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parasitic Current Drain?
    Posted: 24 Jan 20 at 09:41
Half inched from Gregozobie :o)
Thanks Greg :o)

BTW I've been running LED interior lights in my van for over 10 years with no problems.  They must be better quality than the one I put in the cargo bay of my Golf R wagon, it has started to intermittently fail after only 2 years :(

The only oddity I've noticed in the van is they give a faint glow if switched on after the "expired timer forced off thing", if switched off they are totally off (no glow at all).

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 20 at 08:06
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Haha!  Yes I suppose I am. Smile  Being old increases that plus a heart attack I had back in June made me even more philosophical!

I think I'll stay as Victor M thanks T5
Old and heart attacks sound too high a price.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 20 at 19:18
Haha!  Yes I suppose I am. Smile  Being old increases that plus a heart attack I had back in June made me even more philosophical!
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 20 at 18:06
You're very philosophical T5 :o)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 20 at 17:24
I get it.  That's one way round it although a bit of a faff if you forget!  That reminds me I need a new cab interior light 'cause mine fell to bits, along with one sliding door lock and one driver's door lock and probably a window switch.  The list is starting to mount up!  I can't really complain because all the parts are original at 16 years old.  
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 20 at 07:48
I think Honest John was simply saying
If your battery goes flat in week,
try switching your interior lights off
when you park it T5.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 20 at 20:57
I can't see that unless it's faulty.  It is designed to work with a dimming interior light after all and it will switch off in all positions after 15 mins anyway.  Is yours causing problems then?  I had some alternator/J519 problems with mine once and I measured the current drain at 30 milliamps (after 20 mins to let stuff shut down) which is normal.     
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 20 at 11:57
Honest John (Telegraph motoring doofer) 
points his finger at the sort of
interior light that dims rather than switching off.

He reckon you need to switch
your interior light off manually.

He says that even though the light
appears to switch off
it still keeps drawing current.

Worth a Try?
 Post Reply Post Reply