The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 crap mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAYFOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 crap mirrors
    Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 22:16
Is there any alternatives to use, coz im getting pissed off with the poor quality of repro's. Everytime i sut either front door they bloody move. Was thinking of going down the yank route

Any ideas/pics of alternatives before I get the drill outSmile
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 22:24
Silly question, but have you tightened the nut?

There are many alternatives, some better than others, from genuine electric big mirrors, to corrado, syncro ones etc, I think rowlesy fitted Landy ones on his DOKA
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
1.8T Conversion sat on an engine stand waiting for spare time.
JAYFOR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAYFOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 23:01
Yeah, keep tightening the nuts up till they snap, on my second pair now. tried to find NOS ones as some guys on the samba have advertised but on the pictures they are the same as the GSF ones. MuppetsUnhappy
orcecaveman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orcecaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 23:11
Have a word with andyvan, im sure he's got some good genuine used ones for sale.Wink

T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 12 at 23:13
I've got a set of genuine ones if you want them. Bit old obviously, but you can have them if you want to cover the postage and a beer token or two
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 06:52
land rover defender mirrors! me and fatboy have em and there rock solid! my thinking was as i couldnt destroy em on my 90 they'd have an easy life on the doka/t3's.there at the back of my doka thread. i also have a load of brackets to make up if i ever get time!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Bigherbie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigherbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 09:33
Why don't you buy new ones from a VW dealer.
Beware of people who know less than they think.
JAYFOR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAYFOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 09:45
Thanks for the offers of used ones, but as my bus is quite clean (in my opinion) :-), I will look for clean/new ones.

I didn't realise VW still sold them new, will try calling VW commercial and see. Also will look at the Defender ones for looks. What year Defender mirrors are you using??
Thanks

Edited by JAYFOR - 10 Aug 12 at 09:46
T3Panel View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3Panel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 11:04
Originally posted by JAYFOR JAYFOR wrote:

Thanks for the offers of used ones, but as my bus is quite clean (in my opinion) :-), I will look for clean/new ones

Don't blame you - that's exactly why I upgraded to big mirrors. Expensive though. Defender ones look pretty good, and think they are fairly cheap for new ones
1987 T3 Panel 2.0 T3i!
1990 T3 Atlantic
JAYFOR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAYFOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 12:18
Yeah just looked at some, trying not to drill more holes, but if it comes to it :-)
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 18:10
thats where the brackets come in! Wink

silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 18:47
Take a look at Jag XJ6 series 3 / XJ-S mirrors. Nice and square, chunky, electric. Shouldn't be too hard to mod a T3 mirror foot onto them as they have a similar mounting angle on the door. Would look nice and actually be of some use! Miles better than blobby 'rados.

PS Anyone wanna buy a pair of Corrado mirrors?
Have I missed anything?
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 20:23
binned my rado mirrors for the 90's! never go back!

fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 22:16
I broke my passenger mirror last week and bought a gsf replacement - what a pointless price of shit it is! Can't see a f#&king thing - annoying cost I'm off to France next week so will need it.

I like your landy ones Rowlsey - are the brackets of a landy 90 too?
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 22:18
No, they are Rowlsey specials!
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
pothole dodger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pothole dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 22:40
Got some LT brackets with brand new T3 mirror housing here, if your interested. They should fit straight on, my matey has same on his T3. No problem fitting them. £100
cruz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 23:05
I've got LT mirrors too but the larger 4x4 version where the mirror can be swiveled through 360 degrees to level the mirror up as LT mirror arms to not sit perpendicular to a T3 body.

Before that I had repros, from Brickwerks, and one from GSF and they were fine. Both were Hagus

There are two types of repro mirror. Cheap and better quality. GSF sell both i.e one is £6 the other roughly £23
JAYFOR View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAYFOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 12 at 23:58
Yup I did go for the £23 ones and one has now snapped and the others on max adjustment. I do like the landy ones tho but will also look at the jags :-) coolio, seems I'm not the only one then
fufflenarnia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
#1 Cable Shift Bitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fufflenarnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 12 at 09:12
Do the defender ones give a good wide viewing angle? - if so I think I will go that way ultimately, my local spares place has them complete for £12 each plus vat
fatboy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
judge judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 12 at 09:16
They have convex mirrors, it's fucking terrifying driving with them because you can see EVERYTHING behind you!!!!!
'83 T3 westy - biguns got it
68 buggy again!- Roger the cat is going to finish it
Syncro, previously known as the scoobyvelle

Shit I need to sell some MORE cars!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>