The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT 2.4 Petrol engine to 2.5 TDI conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT 2.4 Petrol engine to 2.5 TDI conversion
    Posted: 23 Aug 18 at 16:13
I bought a cambelt set to change on my DW engine, but before i came around to change it, the clutch got stuck. I was able to drive it the 350km home on shitty Norwegian roads crossing 4 smal Mountains With a lot of zig-zag roads. Not easy when you have to stand stil and the engine of to change gear. We then desided to search for a AAT engine (5 pot 2,5TDI 116hp) to fit in the Camper. 75hp in a 3,2 tonn Karmann camper is not enough in 2018. 3 Days after i started to search i found one in Bergen on the west coast. It has only done 235k km and the seller is the grandson of the first owner. On thursday august 30 i'l fly to Bergen to pick it up and drive it the 480km home. The next day the MOT expires, so il have to deliver the License plates. When i deliver the wreck at an autorised junckyard i'l get 3000nok back, and i'l pay 5000nok (450£) for the car, so i am realy happy about it. If i then sel the gearbox for 2000nok and the calippers for 1000 i'l end up geting my transportations costs coverd as well.

Now i Wonder, has any one else done a 2,5TDI conwersion to their LT?
This guy http://www.vw-lt-karmann.de/html/umbau_auf_2-5_tdi.html used an exhaust manifold from a Volvo, witch should i use? Audi or volvo?
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
mr sly View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr sly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 13 at 17:31
hi saw your post and wondered if you have a use for the distributor that is if its for the thraight six 2.4 engine and is not too worn out
kojl View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kojl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 13 at 19:18
I have a diesel rev counter from a car with ECU, is it possible to run it from W terminal signal?
'89 VW T3 bus JX to AAZ
wildrovers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildrovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 12 at 21:14
If I drive to Turkey...please will you do mine ?
Used to be Splits, then Bays, then T3 WBs. Next came Landys, now Mitsu L400 &
seeking LT4x4...
Alevaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alevaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 12 at 23:37
Originally posted by mechano mechano wrote:

Mecit (the owner) drove it to Istanbul and I came back to Ankara, he is now working on the "rear-axle conversion"  he will be using a US Dana60 rear axle with 3.54 final ratio.
A special adapter flange to use LT wheels (actually he is running 16" TATA wheels but they are LT PCD) on the Dana axle will be designed by me.

A wheel dics may fit from any Ford Transit 15-16". It have dimension 5/160 too.

High protector may be solve your problem.

VW LT-28 1984 Kastenwagen ACT 2.4L
http://oldbusclub.ru/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=830
Rocky332 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky332 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 11 at 13:07
Hello,

Here my Picture from the conversion,

Greats Bernd.

http://h1905000.stratoserver.net

http://www.vw-lt-karmann.de

mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 11 at 15:54
Hi All,

Two weeks ago me & Mecit (the owner of the LT) made a 650km trip with LT to the west coast of Turkey to see how it performs and test it, (a small holiday).

The engine pulls really strong and you nearly never ever need to down shift when overtaking or going uphill.

Fuel economy was also very good as the average was 10.2 Liters/100km.

Down side is the gearing with 3000rpm@90 km/h (GPS speed), ratios are too short.
Mecit (the owner) drove it to Istanbul and I came back to Ankara, he is now working on the "rear-axle conversion"  he will be using a US Dana60 rear axle with 3.54 final ratio.
A special adapter flange to use LT wheels (actually he is running 16" TATA wheels but they are LT PCD) on the Dana axle will be designed by me.

Thanks for reading!

Left to rigt: Me (Eren) & Mecit

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 11 at 02:09

wow..

thats a wicked job, so nice to see an lt getting the same kind of love as alot of t3's do engine wise.

i bet its still not super quick as the lt is even more square than the t3.....LOL but it must go well??

plus the extra power potental from these engines is great, if he needs more power you can tune them.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
The Weasle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Weasle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 11 at 14:07
Thats absolutely awesome!!!
Super Bus!!! '91 LT35 Carb!
Super Golf!! '83 MK1 Golf GTi Cab
Super Caddy!! Beluga Blue 2011 Maxi!
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 11 at 23:22
The truck is a bit too clean. If I could use it for a while I could make it proper tradesman dirty.LOL

Very nice job despite the fuse (we all do that sometimes).
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 11 at 15:12
Clap  well done that  man Cool
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 11 at 14:02
Hi All,

The wiring is finished and I am testing the bus since Monday.
The ECU - immobilizer and the relays are under the seat:

The boost & EGR valves and the MAP sensor are placed behind the manifold:

I have also installed the brake and the clutch switches:

they are not seen when the plastic cover of the column is attached.

The Bus was driving well but it was giving the "start of injection control difference" and "implausible brake paddle signal".

I have altered the injection timing many times but couldn't solve it so I have visited the "Bosch diesel service" and have the advance actuator in the pump changed.

Guess what the error code is still there!

I gave up and started looking for the cause of the "implausible brake paddle signal"
I knew that two brake switches has to set perfectly synchronized, I did it but no help Confused

Than I found out that there is no +12V at pedal switches ..
It turned out that the fuse at the power line to switches are blown! and that fuse also feeds power to advance valve !!!!!

So I replaced the fuse and set the timing again and the bus is even better pulling than before!

It is so funny that I never checked the fuse before, It must have blown when the A6 had the accident as the wiring of the advance was cut and probably short circuited.

The latest view of the engine bay:

Edited by mechano - 15 Jul 11 at 14:10
cnycl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnycl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 11 at 15:08
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

Ouch and that probably wasn't the whole cluster.

I bought the tacho mentioned here from a brick-yard member. As I recall it was around 50 gbps. Also I got the petrol engine tachometer (NOS) from a member and I paid 40 gbps.

Just search carefully (especially ebay.de), you'll find one with a reasonable price in the end.

mechano View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 11 at 12:11
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

Is there no end to your talents? Mechanics, electronics, what next?!

Tachos are pretty rare over here, out of all the LTs I've seen I've never seen one with a tacho fitted. Mine has one now but I had to buy it new from VW as I couldn't find a second hand one!

Thanks for your comments, I am a mechanical engineer working for defence industry in Turkey. VWs are my hobby ever since.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 11 at 11:57
I'd like one too but I cannot see paying what would end up as $400 
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 11 at 11:54
Sadly no, this is all I got:

I had some unexpected money, so I casually enquired about availability. Once I found they were still available I just couldn't stop myself!Embarrassed
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 11 at 11:23
Ouch and that probably wasn't the whole cluster.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 11 at 09:50
Originally posted by Canada LT28 Canada LT28 wrote:

What did they charge for it?

Too much! I think it was about £250...

Edited by mat_the_cat - 14 Jul 11 at 10:13
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 11 at 10:54
Originally posted by mat_the_cat mat_the_cat wrote:

Is there no end to your talents? Mechanics, electronics, what next?!

Tachos are pretty rare over here, out of all the LTs I've seen I've never seen one with a tacho fitted. Mine has one now but I had to buy it new from VW as I couldn't find a second hand one!

What did they charge for it?
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 11 at 10:53
There are lots of aftermarket tachs out there but I guess most people want it to look as original as possible.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>