The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lamba probe "what the hell is that ?"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRANSPORT06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lamba probe "what the hell is that ?"
    Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 01:10

my exhaust gas warning lamp comes on for a couple of runs then stays off for ages then back on again. Vw told me they can't find now't wrong with it. The only thing i have done is fit a kenwood head unit in but this is wired to the battery and doesn't go through the computer.

Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 08:03
It measures oxygen, in the case of a combustion engine, it measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas and can therefore help calculate the amount of fuel being fed to the engine.

It's quite important, though I thought it was only used in petrol engines. Seems things have moved on since I had a spanner in my hand. Smile
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
TRANSPORT06 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRANSPORT06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 10:32
ok ta not something i can unbolt and lob over the fence then
Gripper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gripper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 21:09
You Can, But You Will Probably Get The Big Engine Shaped Warning Light On Your Dash Forever   Unhappy

Edited by Gripper - 16 Jan 09 at 21:10
TRANSPORT06 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRANSPORT06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 09 at 02:38
great not a good move then
TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 09 at 20:00
My exhaust gas warning light was now come on and is staying on. I'm hoping it's just a faulty sensor, but the fact the warning light is a big picture of an engine is spooking me. I will of couse get it booked in ASAP, but has anyone any more experience of what the likely fault is and what I need to watch the dealer does / doesn't do here?
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 09 at 20:40
I had this fault, the dealer changed the exhaust gas sensor under warranty, they said the original one was faulty and i,ve had no problems since ( well not with the sensor anyway ).

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 09 at 21:11
Thanks Triple. That's the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. Speedy response appreciated.
John K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 09 at 01:45
I had this happen as well, dealer changed out sensor and problem solved.   Only problem in three years.
2006 T5 174 TDI 4motion LWB
TwoFish View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 09 at 19:18
Happy ending. Problem was apparently the exhaust pressure sensor, now replaced under warranty.

Good service from Manchester Van Centre too - a 'no problem, yes we can' attitude all round.
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 19:00
I've just read through this as I have this issue! Any idea how much a new pressure sensor is and can joe bloggs fit it??
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 12 at 23:48
Originally posted by Dub4life Dub4life wrote:

I've just read through this as I have this issue! Any idea how much a new pressure sensor is and can joe bloggs fit it??

Yes,two small pipes and a torx screw to undo, pinned to the firewall just above the engine.
You don't need eyes to see it, you need vision.
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 12 at 10:18
Thanks. It would seem the issue has been resolved.....for now!
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
 Post Reply Post Reply