The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing loose JX bottom pulley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing loose JX bottom pulley
    Posted: 17 Oct 08 at 10:12
Not sure how many people stress out at the prospect that there beloved diesel engine is total scrap because their bottom pulley has worked loose and mashed up the crank.
If you stopped driving before the pistons said hello to your valves then you may be able to save your engine.
This is what I did.
Remove the necessary parts to give access to the lower pulley.
You may find that the bottom bolt is already loose which makes things easier for stripping down.
If the crank and pulley look like this you may be able to save them.

The three machined holes were done by a local machine shop. They are drilled then reamed to 3/16.

They also made me this tool, which when screwed into the end of the crank will hold the pulley square as it is a very snug fit on the inside of the pulley.

Screw it into the end of the crank as shown here.

Slide pulley onto shaft. The pulley and crank on my engine were only damaged on one edge. Refer to the earlier photos.
Turn the pulley clockwise to but the 2 good surfaces of the keyway together.
Then drill the end of the crank to about 5mm, the depth that the silver steel pin will need to recess into.
Then fit the first dowel to hold the pulley in place.
Now drill the 2 remaining holes into the end of the crank using the pulley as a guide.

A little tip to gauge the depth of the hole you need to drill.

With this done, pull off the pulley. clean, degrease, remove any burrs of the crank and use bearing lock on pin before you reassemble.

I'm not saying this will last forever, but if you do a good job and take your time to get it right you will get your van back on the road. You can then start saving for that 1z tdi conversion.

Its not all dome and gloom and you have little to lose, so give it a go.

pm me for more details if needed.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 08 at 10:35
nice work Tim... 

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 08 at 18:42
are diesel cranks not hardened in some way?

did you have trouble drilling it?

Cool idea

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 08 at 19:48
The end of the crank is far softer than you would imagine. A good sharp drill bit made light work of it.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 08 at 20:36
Good bit of work there. Using a new pulley and drilling that would sort that side of the keyway issue (they are about 26 quid), and you really should use the NEW type crank bolt, they put a modded one in later motors to cure this problem (the new type is a stretch bolt and it`s tightened up differently to the first type, it`s got a small "pip" on its head so you can tell `em apart) I Loctited it as well for good measure.

Edited by Joker_Club - 17 Oct 08 at 20:37
Sunny Lancs
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 08 at 21:00
jeff lawrence View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff lawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 09:22
That's a tidy job Tim!  We need a good T3 mechanic in Bristol... Wink

Really must check that my AAZ has the uprated bolt in it before it is too late...
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 20:03
It's a fairly common mod, people have been doing it on 16v's for a while.
Trouble is that I have seen it done to AAZ's and the rawl pins have been sheared off.
jeff lawrence View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff lawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 21:57

With a high-reving aircooled motor you would go for 8 dowels for the extra strength.  Is there scope for 7 dowels on the aaz?  I guess the success of this type of repair has a lot to do with how carefully the crank holes have been drilled. 

We all see routine stuff done badly on a daily basis, let alone the 'last ditched, cutting edge' attempt to save an otherwise spent engine from the scrap pile!  3 dowels are better than none, in my opinion!

I think my aaz may be on borrowed time...I'm happy to try anything if I find my bottom pulley is loose. 
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 22:03
The problem as far as I know was caused by the ribbed belt set up and the uneveness of the alternator putting irregular loaing on the belt, basically going slack and tight, thats why newer alternators have a freewheeling clutch on the drive pulley.
Anyway, ribbed belt and un modified crank pulley bolt is a recipe for disaster.
One of the reasons why I use the JX belt set up when doing AAZ conversions is this problem, plus the rev counter also works properly with JX alt, and it's easier and much tidier.
The engines I have removed and stripped had the ribbed belt set up that had the broken dowels, it shouldn't happen on a v belt set up unless someone leaves the bolt loose
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 23:05
The engine which I repaired was a 16 td. I guess that the problem here is just VW's inbuilt obsolescence on their belt driven ohc engines.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
b2_solid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b2_solid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 18:35

How long last this crankshaft pulley before it broke again???

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 11 at 22:14
The crank is not broken yet and should easily last the length of the rest of the engine. This is a very strong repair.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 11 at 12:28
Does anyone know when AAZ's were factory modded to eliminate this issue?
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 11 at 12:43
check the crank bolt, if it's got a nipple it's the newer style and shouldn't undo when torqued
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 11 at 13:39
Hhmm. Mine are both 94's, and no pert nipples!!Thumbs Down I am running JX alternator/pulley set up though, so hopefully risk is reduced.(though as per the thread, JX are also prone to damage.)
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 11 at 15:03
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Richey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 15 at 13:00
Don't just rely on a new bolt I'm just in the middle of trying to sort one where a new type bolt has come loose, going with the above doweled repair so fingers crossed avoiding another new engine
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 15 at 13:38
Best of luck with your repair. Take your time and make sure that the dowels are a good fit into reamed holes. Then make sure that you torque up the new bolt to keep all parts in place.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 15 at 19:05
Just change the bloody bolt for a new one. Torque it up properly. Mine had a nipple bolt but it actually snapped and almost wrote off my engine! I'm going to stick a new bolt in every
Timing belt change. That's why they are included in the kit?
 Post Reply Post Reply