The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on buying a syncro please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Splitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on buying a syncro please
    Posted: 01 Feb 08 at 03:35
Hi , can anyone advise on what to check when buying a T3 syncro to make sure the diffs / cv s / diff locks , is there a special way of checking these over , as in a previous post someone said you can spend £2K sorting out a manky one 
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 08 at 11:23

Try the 80 90 site they have info on the syncro. If that is no good do a google search on vw t3 syncro and you will find various sites some explain the VC testing etc on them.

Also do a search on this site as i think Mikeghia did a write up on this subject, i could be wrong though.

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 08 at 09:04

Mr Splitty,

Be careful of 80-90, there's lots of info going around from lots of people who don't necesarily know what they're talking about.

The basics on viewing a Syncro are the same as a 2WD. They suffer bodily in the same places but if they've been offroaded a lot, then expect more corrosion.

Mechanically, the gearboxes, VC and engine are the possible weak points and expensive to fix. A rebult gearbox will set you back £850 upwards, a recon engine £1200 and a VC £500 so these need to be good.

If you're unsure about inspecting a vehicle yourself, look around for one which you really like and then pay for someone to come and inspect it for you so you know what you're getting.

If you get stuck for some info, give me a ring on 07989 333437 and I'll talk you through it.

MG

HarryMann View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryMann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 23:11
Quote Be careful of 80-90, there's lots of info going around from lots of people who don't necesarily know what they're talking about.

Really Michael, are we all that bad

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 08 at 23:51

I never mentioned any names!

MG

rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 08 at 08:18
Clive - I can testify to the perils of listening to a self confessed Syncro expert - has cost me upwards of £2K over the purchase price justt oget it roadworthy.

Mr Splitty - go to my site - in the sig and read the Syncro bit - gives you some idea of what Mike is talking about.

However, there are also some really sound folks on 80-90 and Clive is one of them. All Mike is saying is be careful, ask around and don't just take the first person's advice as gospel.

Good luck - they are really great fun when sorted, I never cease to be amazed by what the ScoobyVelle can get up.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
 Post Reply Post Reply