The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for DIY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for DIY?
    Posted: 11 Nov 08 at 10:46
Hi Guys I have just started the inside of my van

One half of the bed in
Toilet cassete door cut in
Water heater in
Solar panel on
Electrical wire in place
Water tank in

I have now seriously started panelling the walls and fitting cupboards etc.  I am starting to think about when I get to covering the plywood I was going to go for leather, but after talking to a few people I decided not to, due to shrinkage problems etc.

I have bought some 3mm foam backed vinyl (from a firm in germany). It's going to be a pain job to do - has anyone got any tips..
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 08 at 12:04
I'd ask the supplier as to what adhesive to use, the wrong type might melt the foam or allow the vinyl to peel. Could use beading to protect the edges/joins from peeling.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 08 at 14:30
With vinyl Id be a bit worried about condensation. unless the panel its on is well insulated and if your van gets hot during the summer it might end up like all those dashboards in the 70s cracked and dried.
mikebdomain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 08 at 14:37
The van is well insulated and the stuff I have bought is UV protected...
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 08 at 10:06
sounds good I would use a spray adhesive but test a little on a small test piece just in case it reacts with the backing
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 08 at 10:10
Thanks Thal - good idea
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 08 at 09:46
I used a sray glue called stikatak got from BQ it gives good coverage and sticks well. I covered 6 large shelves with vinyl about 12mt2 but it didnt haveany foam backing so you might need to use more. I would spray the surface not the vinyl and be carefull positioning, if you have to move it it might pull off the backing
isup View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 11:03
mike, what is that silver stuff that you put on the floor? looking forward to seeing more photos of the work Tongue im very sowly doing mine up at the moment
1988 LT31 2.4 Turbo Diesel- slow work in progress --Eire
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 11:17
It's thin sound proofing, sort of bitch coated with aluminium foil - you can find it on ebay under item number 140280697316
It's OK as sound proofing, I use it for all sorts...

How are you getting on with yours?

One thing I have realised is that I am no carpenter and I friggin hate working with wood...

Edited by mikebdomain - 17 Nov 08 at 11:18
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
isup View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 11:19
that soundsLOL pretty good,  it looks pretty neat too
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 11:22
Another product I have found that I wouldn't be without is Sticks Like Sh*t by evo stick - £11.few pennis from for three tubes from Screwfix - you can also get it in B&Q (although its only called sticks like) but it's brilliant and dries to a rubberised paintable finish when dry..
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
isup View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 11:24
im gonna get stuck into kitting out my van now, but am trying to make a plan on paper first, i dont want any regrets, i liked the photos you put up. i will be snapping my progress too
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 11:31
good plan mate - I snapped all the outside work I did but have been a little lax on taking photos of the inside work.

I planned all mine out on paper first, but it's amazing the changes you make as you go along - my biggest problem is my ability with wood...and understanding the way it will or won't bend - LOL I will try and take some photos and get them on here
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
isup View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 08 at 11:41
its hard when the van is'nt close by, but i want to try and fint some plans with dimensions online 
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 14:37
Originally posted by isup isup wrote:

im gonna get stuck into kitting out my van now, but am trying to make a plan on paper first, i dont want any regrets, i liked the photos you put up. i will be snapping my progress too

Hi all,

excuse me for being a bit thick, but I can't see any photos - are they posted somewhere else?

Thanks,
Peter.
isup View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 08 at 17:16
Originally posted by petergeeky petergeeky wrote:

Originally posted by isup isup wrote:

Hi all,

excuse me for being a bit thick, but I can't see any photos - are they posted somewhere else?

Thanks,
Peter.

it was on another thread http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27472&PN=7
 Post Reply Post Reply