The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

timing belts... how often do you do yours?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: timing belts... how often do you do yours?
    Posted: 31 Dec 08 at 15:55

quick question....

timing belts on LT 6 cylinder lumps... how often would you change it?

I've heard rumours of everything from 10,000 miles to 80,000 miles... with lots of theories of impending doom about the general engine design

also, both people i've bought LT's off have told me the engine needs to come out to change the timing belt; looking at it though, i don't see why it should have to?

throw me your thinkings please!

and a happy new year to all! :) x
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 09 at 17:50
sorry can't really help but would also be interested - before buying my LT I was told by a few people including a well respected VW garage that there was something "funny" and prone to failure about the bottom end pully / wood ruff key / belt. But never had it confirmed by an owner.

I had my belt changed after a few hours of trying to do it myself. Just couldn't get it around the engine casing / bottom pulley - seemed very odd layout. But was't charged too much so can't imagine they took the engine out.
daz2vans View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daz2vans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 09 at 09:03
The timing belt cover on my 2.4TD says every 60,000 miles.

No need to take the engine out just remove the radiator and there's loads of room.
You will need to get or make a U shaped puller to get the Timming belt idler off. And wedge a pri bar in the flywheel to get the main pulley bolt out or use a Air impact gun to do it so no need to lock the flywheel, But it is always best to take the belt off the cam pulley when wedging a pri bar in the flywheel as the bolt can be very tight and there's always a chance of it slipping.
A lot of people change the water pump at the same time as well. It took me about 3 hours to change it not a difficult job really.
Daz
52 RHD Panel, 63 23 Winda, 66 Canterbury Pitt
caveman_dick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 09 at 11:07
Yeah I tried to do mine when I changed my water pump. However with no access to any air tools I couldn't get the anti-vibration pulley off. Looking at the manual the torque to tighten it to is something like 500nm!!! The belt didn't look too bad so just re-assembled as is. Spoke to my cousin who used to be a mechanic and he said as long is it looks in good condition with no cracks or major wear it should be ok. Luckily I had a new one to compare it to so was reasonably happy. TBH I'm prob still gonna get it replaced in 10,000 miles or so but as I only do about 5000 a year I'll be ok for a while! :-) 
davidd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 17:45
Just had my cam belt done as I bought with no service history (now done 100k miles). Local garage said there was a rear belt that also needed to be done given the engine was apart anyway. Total cost for belts, oil, filter and fuel filter change was 360 pounds. Does this sound about right? 

ps I watched some of the work and it seemed like a pig of a job!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 09 at 17:12
Rear belt? Do you mean at the back of the engine?
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 09 at 21:25
rear belt, must mean the deisel pump belt, thats easy to replace, so iv found out.  i replaced my cam belt when i brought the van and man was i glad to as it was falling off, really falling off!!  i also replaced the water pump, 22 pounds, and the tensioner pully, 10 pounds.  We then made up a bar to bolt onto the fan mounts so we could lock the flywheel and get the bolt off.  Was easy to do, just fiddley to do, but i think i could do it on my own next time.  oh yeh i changed the fan belt too while there.  Ill look at changing my cam belt ever two years.  I only do 5000miles a year but it sits around for long periods so may start cracking and i dont want to take the risk.
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 10:13
Mine was done 20,000 miles ago, but that was 1996. Do you think I should get mine changed? as it sits around for most of it's life.
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 11:28
12 years ago it was replaced!!! hell yeh!! id change that, rubber perishes over time.  It less than 12pounds for the belt but how much for a new engine??
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caveman_dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 14:18
Originally posted by bushbandit bushbandit wrote:

rear belt, must mean the deisel pump belt, thats easy to replace, so iv found out.  i replaced my cam belt when i brought the van and man was i glad to as it was falling off, really falling off!!  i also replaced the water pump, 22 pounds, and the tensioner pully, 10 pounds.  We then made up a bar to bolt onto the fan mounts so we could lock the flywheel and get the bolt off.  Was easy to do, just fiddley to do, but i think i could do it on my own next time.  oh yeh i changed the fan belt too while there.  Ill look at changing my cam belt ever two years.  I only do 5000miles a year but it sits around for long periods so may start cracking and i dont want to take the risk.

No wonder I don't remember seeing it, I've got a Petrol!!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply