Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle Revalation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Revalation
    Posted: 30 Apr 18 at 21:20

So, my old Florida has always been pretty easy to drive. Never a fast vehicle, but frankly I don't need to be doing high speeds in an old van with a constantly moving C of G whizzing about above me head somewhere and with my precious family on board.

Making reasonable progress on long hills requires careful management of momentum, and the occasional lean forward helps    

But, I had cause to take a look at the throttle pedal recently as it felt a little wobbly under foot.

Cause was a fractured hinge on the pedal where the hinge pivot pin runs through the pedal and attaches it to the base plate.

I took the whole assembly out to give it a bit of love, and cleaned it up and fabricated a new hinge.

While out, I installed a new lever to the back of the pedal, and a new pivot plate - both of the old ones had huge wear and effectively robbed the pedal assembly of full travel when you've got your foot flat on the floor.

Put it all back, and have now got the advantage of full pedal travel.

What a difference!

60mph was a nice cruising speed, with the occasional foray towards 70 when absolutely necessary, and when physics permitted.

Now, 70 is no issue on a run. Engine noise is not an issue - there's more wind noise than engine noise.

Like a said, I don't really have the need or desire to be regularly approaching the limit - got a bike for that, but the real difference is lower down torque. Short urban hills and stirring the gears are a thing of the past!

Thoroughly recommended.   

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 18 at 12:05
Thumbs Up
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 18 at 08:52
I adjusted the cabel on my 75hp Karmann LT L. I feel it went from 65 to 75hp and that i now have all the horses alive. I think it saves fuel also. Last spring i switched to 15 inch Alu Wheels, and i feel it also helped on the top speed and consumption. Last summer we recorded 11,1 liter/100km and 12,1 average on our 4500km summer roundtrip in Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Be-Ne-Lux. Top speed (GPS) is 108kmh and cruising is 88-93 kmh (GPS)
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply