The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle cable/pedal help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle cable/pedal help!
    Posted: 27 Jun 16 at 21:21
Had a search and mentioned this in the other throttle thread but thought I'd get direct.

Set off in Mk1 LT35 on Saturday, pulled out the top of our road and the go pedal dropped to the floor. Managed to get it in a parking space on momentum and had to abandon it as we were rushing to a wedding. Not being technical I guessed the cable had gone, but so say it may just be a bit of linkage.

I could pay for a recovery to a garage and pay someone to sort it, but would rather not, especially if it's a matter of hooking summat back together or replacing a spring. The pedal is pretty knackered as it is so that may just be a replacement job anyway now something's given up, but should I want to have a nosey how do I go about finding out what's wrong?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to things with engines but I'm handy with push bikes and got a brain and hands, and some tools. Where do I start?

Edit: well in part I can do a less rubbish job of the search function, having a poke through some other threads now

Edited by dutch gus - 27 Jun 16 at 21:29
Mk1 LT35 1996
Rusty on the outside, cosy on the inside.
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 16 at 23:56
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 16 at 22:00
Cheers MLT.
Had a poke around this evening when I finally had a moment:

Looked underneath and no sign anything was amiss. Gave all the cable run a tug, seemed secure, squeezed the bellows and could feel the cable inside.
Then started from the top, screws fixing the bearing cover were in a horrible state, faffed about for ages and finally got the last one out with some mole grips. No obvious problems except no sign of any pressure spring! Looked simply that the push rod had fallen out of the hole in the bottom of the pedal. Is that what the pressure spring is supposed to prevent?
In the absence of one how can I go about fixing that problem?
Also the pedal was already having problem slipping off the bearing pin at its bottom edge, any ideas?

Need to get some new screws to fix the bearing cover back on, and solve the problem of stopping the pedal falling off again in future.

Crossed the line of getting involved in the van and suddenly there's a mental list of jobs. Had to pull up the sodden mat/sound proofing, which has made me think about getting on the case plugging up wherever the rain pours into the footwell (I gather I'm not alone with that issue!), and then there's the rest of the bodywork problems...
Mk1 LT35 1996
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 16 at 23:55
Missing spring may be hiding somewhere so have a good look around otherwise can probably be found or ordered through your local VW Van center... screws also if you can't clean 'em up.
Lucky your both still here after an event like that.Clap
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 09:46
Pfft, loss of power at four mph on a residential road - didn't feel particularly risky!
I reckon the spring is long gone, I gave the cab a big sweep of all the surface debris and crud not long ago...

Is the pressure spring just for holding the pedal on?
Surely there's an easy bodge solution for that.
Similarly what's the need for official VW screws?
I'm sure I can find some that fit in the hardware shop up the road.
Mk1 LT35 1996
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 12:11
If that'd've happened going uphill at speed on a packed autobahn in a snowstorm etc etc.... been in such situations. Your lucky that happened as it did. Could've been at worse times is what I mean...

Anyway type 211259283 into ebay and there's quite a few available.
The spring is not your average type you'd find in a hardware store.
The screws could be matched probably. I've had no luck with UK hardware stores. They don't even stock M16 bolts.
Buying direct from VW or one of their recommended suppliers for stuff like this works out best, cheapest and less faffing about usually in my experience. Don't forget brickwerks too as they can get most stuff.

Edited by Monster LT - 03 Jul 16 at 12:24
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 15:30
Oh definitely it was the right place for something to break, apart from on the forecourt of an LT expert.
I'd have thought I can match the screws, but perhaps not.
Not clear to me where the spring actually fits or what it does! Th exploded diagram seems to show it goes on the other end of the push rod but I can't see what it's doing there. If I get a spring will yer average mechanic know what to do with it?
Mk1 LT35 1996
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 16:43
I'm no expert either. Guessing the spring fits on the end of pushrod and against the pedal. Could be wrong.
Is the pushrod rectanguar at that end? Also there are two different diagrams for the pedal depending on engine type. Here's the other one:
http://vagpart.com/vw/lt-lt-4x4-lt-eu-1996-7310-accelerator-pedal-accelerator-cable-cold-starting-aid-cable/
What engine code does yours have?

A mechanic should be able to sort this out easily... but something you should be able to do too... I guess, again.
Also spring would've dropped off at moment pedal dropped so should still be around... guessing yet again.

Edited by Monster LT - 03 Jul 16 at 16:49
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 19:37
Man, that spring is tiny.
Here's how it looks on mineif that helps any ... 

Edited by Monster LT - 03 Jul 16 at 19:53
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 19:56
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 16 at 22:04
Great, that definitely helps. Loads of them listed on eBay, should be able to get one easy

Beastyvan will be back in action in no time!
Mk1 LT35 1996
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 16 at 14:07
Spring should be coming through the letter box tomorrow - £3.70 all told.
Screws - free from a local hardware goddess.

This could be the cheapest breakdown ever.
Better yet we got away with no train tickets on the journey we were going to make when it went, so I'm probably up about fifty quid in diesel!
Mk1 LT35 1996
dutch gus View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch gus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 17 at 15:45
Going to need to replace the pedal I reckon - thought there was a link here to someone selling a kit but can't spot it... 
Also looking at the pics posted looks to be a cap on the end of the push rod with some sort of locking ring on - definitely nothing like that on mine, perhaps this is why the pressure spring won't stay put!
Wondering whether I'll go and source a new pedal set-up and then find that it won't stay on the rod either.
Mk1 LT35 1996
asiormax View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asiormax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 17 at 16:49
I have complete pedal for sale
VW LT28 2,4TD SVEN HEDIN WESTFALIA

Post Reply Post Reply