The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Thinking of buying an LT35 -82 with engine problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of buying an LT35 -82 with engine problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 14 at 10:17
You could have a look at the technical manual.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 14 at 09:02
I looked in the haynes manual and on all the tec manuals i could find linked here, still no help. :/
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 14 at 09:26
?Have you used the Image search rather than Web?

I find that quite often there are images which have links to information the websearch did not throw up, or it was so far down the list of pages.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 14 at 09:29
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 14 at 09:48
The manual is there, trust me cos I uploaded it ages ago and checked before I replied.
Same carb fits LT's and Passat using different jets.

Edit:-

Just checked now to be sure LT Manuals - Petrol leads to Engine and Carb manuals.

Edited by AndyT - 15 May 14 at 09:59
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

volition82 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote volition82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 10:13
I had the same problem with mine when I had the old carb on
As mine is the new carb can't help other than I eventually worked it out by looking through the manual at all the different diagrams and pictures. Also Google images helped. I can't remember anyone who has the 2.0l other than Andy who now has a Weber. Perhaps you could pm him and ask if he knows of any other member's with one who might be able to help?

You would think Haynes would have a flow diagram of it. Good books, but typically it never seems to have what you need!
1989 LT35 - 2.4 Lpg/Petrol - Converted To Camper
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 16:20
AndyT; Thanks for all the replies, i will have another check in the manuals - maybe i overlooked it.

LTCamper89; I did try several google searches before asking here, i always turn to forums as a last resort. But thanks! :)

Edit: Was too fast with the reply.
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

http://www.ruddies.business.t-online.de/ti179.htm 
That's exactly what i looked for! Now i just gotta get working on that german. :D

Thanks!

Edited by Widar - 16 May 14 at 16:22
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 14 at 17:45
German is easy, they just add words together to make new onesWink

I am sure it will be better than my Swedish.

Shockedhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhRkAzaDuyg

Did not embedConfused

Edited by LTCamper89 - 16 May 14 at 17:46

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 14 at 16:59
Haha! :D

To go even further off topic; 
We do the same in swedish. Put words together and voilá - this means something completely different! 
Not entirely true, but the other way around, if you mean something and don't connect the words, it can be hilarious.
For example;
"Giftorm" = poisionous snake
"Gift orm" =  married snake.

And yeah, we have the same word for marriage and poison over here. :)
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 14 at 17:01
LOL en Francais aussi

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 14 at 12:31
First, please bare with my lacking in english mechanical terms...

This friday me and a friend changed the timing belt and discovered that the old one was mounted one kog wrong... With a new one fitted and fitted correctly my LT now runs a lot better... More power and runs smoother! Thumbs Up

Since how hard we tried we couldn't find the ignition timing marker on the flywheel trough the hole in the gearbox bellhousing we had to resort to basic or "default" (+5 degrees said Haynes) setup and then did rolling ignition calibration on the road with my friend sitting behind the front seat and adjusting the distributor cap to make it run as smooth as possible. LOL
It runs best with a bit more pre-ignition than the basic setup. (?)

Problems with stuttering on lower rpms with half throttle still persists, but now it doesn't need to have choke applied to even run... When a small amount of choke, small enough to only close the air inlet a bit, is applied it runs better and the stuttering stops, but higher rpm power is reduced.

My thoughts are still with the carburettor 1, being incorrectly adjusted, since it was adjusted with the timing off... or 2, that it still needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts? It seems strange that it runs best on more pre-ignition, anything related to the 2.0 litre?

And are there any ways to set the carburettor in "default", unadjusted, mode and see if it runs better?

Thanks,
Widar

Edited by Widar - 01 Jun 14 at 12:33
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 21:13
Now the new carburettor is fitted and it fially runs like a charm! It took a while to figure out that the new carb had an solenoid idle cutter thingy that needed +12V for opening!

Now time for fine tuning and setup and also another look at the ignition setting.
I'm so glad that i got it all back and that it runs as smooth as it does! No choke needed to run anymore :)

Edited by Widar - 06 Jul 14 at 21:14
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 21:28
Good news.Thumbs Up

VW LT Camper not Cramper

timaldiss View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timaldiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 14 at 21:59
Yeah that's cracking news. Good diagnosis I'd say!
-------
I have a history of VW LT camper van addiction: http://campervanman.co.uk
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 14 at 06:09
And now were back from portugal. :)
Almost 8000 kms later!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 14 at 08:29
Thumbs Up

Must work well then.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 10:20
Hi fellow LT'ans!

Back trying to fix her again.
I'm trying to sort out a broken vacuum pipe t-piece and started wondering if i ever got the vacuum hoses correct before.

I don't have it on my LT...?
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 12:06
It's the vacuum operated valve that diverts hot hair from around the exhaust manifold to the air intake.
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
Widar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 12:36
Thanks! But.. that doesn't help me. Dunno if it's the english or that it's monday. I just can't get my head around why it's needed. Why is a vacuum valve needed to divert air?
Care to explain like I'm 5?
Dreamcatcher View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 17:02
I was thinking that this was part of the fast heat up system, my mistake!

Edited by Dreamcatcher - 15 Jan 18 at 17:28
Dave 1991 LT31 Camper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>