The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Wheel help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thickest shims?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thickest shims?
    Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 20:37
Hello there

I have just got my van back from paint and have put my new Merc rims on the problem is the back. Even with 10mm shims on the back the wheels are way to deep in the arch I rekon I need at least 30mm shims to make them look right. The deepest shims I can find are 20mm anyone ever put a 20mm an a ten together or anyone know where I can get 30mm ones??

Thanks Tom
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 20:56
Anything over 20mm and you really should use hubcentric spacers.
Me personally i'd never put a 10mm and a 20mm spacer together.

What ET are the alloys?
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 21:01
Ahh just looked and we've been here before.....

You said the alloys were ET38 so a 10mm or 20mm max spacer should be more than enough to "fill" the rear arches out.A 20mm spacer gives an effective ET of 18 which should do nicely on the rear.(*edit* not on the front before someone pipes up!)

I've got ET23 rears on mine fitted with a 6mm spacer and that's plenty...for me anyway.

Edited by Steve B - 27 Aug 09 at 21:02
tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 21:27
Thanks for the quick reply Steve...

I have put 6mm shims on the front and they look great. I will defiantly try some 20mm on the back before I look more in to the hubcentric thing. I had 9" deep dish ronels on the back before and I know I can't make my new 7" rims look like 9's but I really what them to sit as close to the arch as poss because ant the moment they are lost.

Thanks tom
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 21:32
Before you going buying thicker than 20mm spacers i've had ET11's on the rears.

They sat flush with the arch but the sliding door wouldn't open fully.......

Diablodub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
mehcedes...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablodub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 21:36
I've seen some pretty thick 'Shims' , i mean some of them don't even shave properly and the adams apple is a dead give away..................................

brick-yard splitters breakaway judean peoples front cheesy toss wank - Member No 1
07974 787780 - Stu

Sunny Stockport-Cheshire

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 21:38
Here we go....LOL
Diablodub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
mehcedes...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablodub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 21:42
Embarrassed Ah wheel spacers - shims , i mean come on , you'll be calling sausages faggots next.
brick-yard splitters breakaway judean peoples front cheesy toss wank - Member No 1
07974 787780 - Stu

Sunny Stockport-Cheshire

tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 21:59
I got the name shims straight off Brickwerks but im happy to call them whatever.... Broken Heart

I have an extended slider so how far the wheels come out is not an issue. I just want them to look right. I'll order some 20mm's SPACERS tomorrow with some longer studs and will let ya know how I get on I may even post some pics..

Tom
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 22:05
Originally posted by tommykite tommykite wrote:

I have an extended slider so how far the wheels come out is not an issue. I just want them to look right.

In looks no it's not an issue but in function it is.

You just can't keep pushing a wheel out to make it look good without having a detrimental affect on the wheel geometry.

Now see what you've done....i'm getting all technical now. LOL
tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 22:10
What you did with an ET 11 sounds good did that work or not?Confused
I'm used to my van eating tyres with the 9" I had on there.
Are there any other bad consequences??

Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 22:15

What you did with an ET 11 sounds good did that work or not?Confused
They're not on now so what do you think?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm used to my van eating tyres with the 9" I had on there.

Ahem...
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

You just can't keep pushing a wheel out to make it look good without having a detrimental affect on the wheel geometry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there any other bad consequences??
Extra stress on rear wheel bearings,trailing arm bushes etc
tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 22:28
Ok I get ya... The 9's I had on the back where done by project zwo I would hope they would know what there doing which is why I've been so keen to obtain the same look or as close as poss.
Like I said i'll give the 20mm's a go and order them tommrow. From a quick search hubcentric spacers seem very expensive so its probably a can left closed anyway...

Thanks again for your advise

Tom
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 22:31
Projektzwo 9" wide alloys designed for a T3...are you sure?

Pic?
tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 22:37
Pic yeh sorry won't be a min....
tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 23:21
What a mission my Photobucket wasn't uploading.. These wheels are Ronel's but they are stamped with the project zwo logo. The whole of my bus was moded by Project zwo at some point in the early 90's.

All this time and its still a crap pic Pinch
Steve B View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 23:29
I've been trying for the last hour to find 9" wide P2 Ronals but can i f'ck.

Are they 16's or 17's Tom and what ET are the rears?

Here's a pic of the P2 van with 7x16 fronts and 8x16 rears.

They did list a 17" alloy at one time especially for vans with the larger bodykits but like i said...can't find them anywhere.

Edited by Steve B - 27 Aug 09 at 23:30
tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 09 at 23:38
The P2 one's are 16" with 245/45's sorry don't know the ET but the look very similar to the ones from the P2 web site.

This is whats on the van now but just been painted in Black Anthracite

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 09 at 02:50
those 9" rear wheels are the same as orignal AMG wheels.
the AMG "penta" wheels are made by ronal.  here in the uk we are used to a copy wheel (8x16 et 11)  but these are made in the uk.. cant remember the company but i did find it out ar one point.

check out the ronal rims in the oettinger pic

to me if you want to fill out the rear arches...  you do it with wider rear wheels..!!

can you not get a wider version of your rear wheels??
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
tommykite View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommykite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 09 at 08:36
Thanks for the info T3ADICT they do look like my orignal rims only in much better condition!
Unfortunately I bought the Merc wheels that are now on my bus from fleebay. I'm fairly sure you can't get them any more It would be much better to have a wide stance at the back. On the other hand I have decided to keep those Ronels and get them cut back and repainted. That won't be for a while though i'm skint because of a new paint job.. I will post some pics of the van with the new rims soon but got to wait a bit longer until I sort spacers an which long studs.

Cheers Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>