The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The SLOOOOWWW transformation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 15 at 00:46
Who's that cool guy in the pic?  Wink
Canada LT28 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 15 at 11:51
All I see is a light and a shnod, haha. Can't be sure who, LOL (tell your daughter I said that)

PS, be prepared.....weekend after next... more LT work.

PPS, I'm still trying to find a DK. Rare as hens teeth it seems

Edited by Canada LT28 - 02 Feb 15 at 11:53
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Slow and built to stay that way
87 T3 soon to be a camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 15 at 16:15
?DK?
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 15 at 22:40
Originally posted by LTCamper89 LTCamper89 wrote:

?DK?

A transmission for my T3
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 02:19

Here is a shot of the quattro box. The mount is a flange and not a spline. Does anyone have an idea of a setup that allows the drive shaft to account for suspension travel?

Edited by Canada LT28 - 15 Mar 15 at 02:19
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 06:44
It looks like there are splines on the wheel end of the half-shafts, but that would mean more splines than at the gearbox/differential end. those may be for mounting though. The rear Cardan shaft looks to be solid too.

?Does the method of mounting gearbox/differential make splines unnecessary? Perhaps there is only a small amount of movement, it is absorbed by other means.

1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 10:26
The connection to the diff is the same as you see on the audi box which is also the same as the T3 drive shafts, 100mm 6 bolts.

Mine s a long wheelbase so it has the support 1/3 way from the box to the diff. One thought Uberhare and I have is to take the forward most CV which has the spline, turn it around and weld a flange to it. Then find a male spline and weld that to the drive shaft and, presto, adjustable length shaft. It needs to be lengthened by 200mm or so anyway.

I bought a volvo overdrive one time and was going to mount it on the stock box but never got around to it and i can't remember what the connections were. I can't even remember where the parts are. arrrggg

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 10:47
Volvo is a flange too.

Sorry Mike I was thinking of the Audi rear not the LT.

?Does that mean the Audi shaft has an internal spline which is not visible on the parts drawings? It is flanged at both ends and has a support bearing too.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 11:03
Nope, I don't thing it does. We thing the suspension travel is taken up in another way on the Volvo. On the LT it is at the box with the spline.

The audi is not a spline so I will have to find another way to make a slip joint and I thought I could get and output shaft from another LT box, weld it to a 6 bolt flange and pop it on the audi flange.

You can see the audi setup in my pic.

Edited by Canada LT28 - 15 Mar 15 at 11:05
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 18:53
What does the DK trans come in specifically?

What about a slip yoke welded to the propshaft? Any drive line shop should be able to do this for you. 

What are you doing about the front differential and flanges?
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
wheresthatgonenow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheresthatgonenow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 19:22
i`ve had a look at my lt2, this has flanges at each end of the prop shaft (g/box/diff ends)

just after the propshaft centre bearing hanger(diff side) the prop is splined, this is what allows for the movement
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 20:06
Originally posted by Rabbit 16v Rabbit 16v wrote:

What about a slip yoke welded to the propshaft? Any drive line shop should be able to do this for you.
That's what I had done with my latest project - just a simple splined joint part-way down the propshaft.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 20:38
Originally posted by Rabbit 16v Rabbit 16v wrote:

What does the DK trans come in specifically?

What are you doing about the front differential and flanges?

DK since he needs one for his t3.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 20:39
Originally posted by wheresthatgonenow wheresthatgonenow wrote:

i`ve had a look at my lt2, this has flanges at each end of the prop shaft (g/box/diff ends)

just after the propshaft centre bearing hanger(diff side) the prop is splined, this is what allows for the movement

Presumably the Audi has a similar arrangement, if it needs that amount of travel.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Rabbit 16v View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbit 16v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 15 at 22:53
I knew he needed it for his T3, but i was wondering what specific T3 model it comes in..

I can confirm the audi prop shaft this week as we have a couple coming in..
Chris
1985 LT40 4x4 2.5 TDI
1987 LT28 Florida
1985 LT45 Sülzer D24TI
1992 LT40 4x4 D24t
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 15 at 01:59
We may be able to use a Golf axle(?) with the CV on it. It seems to have about 1" of play in and out so we have to measure it. There are 2 axle thicknesses that we have, roughly 27 and 33mm but we don't really know if they will take all the torque.

The DK box was to be used when I changed the 2.1/1.9 krankenmotor over to a TDI. It has better ratios for that engine on the T3.

A slip joint was to be the next route if the 33mm axle couldn't handle the power. She breaking up Jim. The dilithium chrystals canna take an more.

Edited by Canada LT28 - 16 Mar 15 at 02:00
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 15 at 00:33
Need to measure the length at full droop, then with load.  Whatever the difference is double it assuming someone overloads the back end :)  Could always find a used truck shaft with a slip joint and change the ends/length.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 15 at 10:50
Originally posted by Uberhare Uberhare wrote:

Need to measure the length at full droop, then with load.  Whatever the difference is double it assuming someone overloads the back end :)  Could always find a used truck shaft with a slip joint and change the ends/length.

Already looking for one, just in case.
94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
poptop2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poptop2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 15 at 14:33
Good thread. I am enjoying the ' slow, but unsure' progress. Still unsure of the electric motor conversion and its benefits, but liking the commitment. Malc
Yes it's me!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canada LT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 15 at 22:24
Anyone know the spline diameter and tooth count for the driveshaft slip joint (the part that goes into the tranny)? I'm looking for an easy way to extend the current driveshaft a few inches.

It's one option as noted above. I'm just trying to keep the work to a minimum

94 LT28 Doka 2.4D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>