Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Gap (Brecon Beacons)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Gap (Brecon Beacons)
    Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 20:45

Kelly (my other half for those who don't know) is from Wales, Cardiff to be exact and I've kinda thrown her in at the deep end so far as offroading goes.
It went something like, "Hi, I'm Mike and I've got a few vans..."

Thankfully she's taken to it very well, so well in fact that I found myself and Limey being entered into an offroading weekend with a load of Welsh Landy owners! Ok this'll be fun!

So 'The Gap' was organised and we put Limey down for the Midnight run and again on Sunday from 1pm.

As the weekend approached, more and more Landys dropped out of the Midnight run, so much so that when I got a text from Alan (V-lux) asking if there was chance of another Syncro coming along, I was happy to say 'please do!'. Cool so 2 Syncros and some Landys.

On our drive across to Brecon Beacons, we received a phonecall from Rob (the chap who was going to be organising the Midnight run) asking if we had a spare seat! Wow another Landrover had dropped out. This dropped it down to 2 Syncros and 1 Landrover 90. Ok so we met up, swapped muds over and headed for the gap.

It starts off fairly mild with about a mile of track coming up to the main gulley which you'll see in the pics and videos. There's no warning of the gulley, you open a gate, drive through and the road just disappears! We jumped out and I walked down to the bottom with a torch to see how bad it was. Boy was it steep and just as steep going back up with a nice twist in the middle to catch you out.

We all managed to climb down and back up the other side without incident but it woke us up (it was about 1:00am by this time). There are more trials along the route as you'll see in the pics but I'll let the photo's do the talking.

These pics and vids are all taken by other people, we took some but to be honest my camera isn't a patch on the ones which were there and I take my hat off to the photograper. Great work!

I'll upload our pics and vids later on. A huge thankyou to Kelly for getting me involved with bonkas4x4 and for putting up with me and my vans (thanks honeySmile) and another thanks to all the guys from bonkas4x4 for making us feel so welcome. It was a blast and we're looking forward to the next trip to Wales.

There are many many more pics here.
All credit for the photos to Peter from http://www.bonkas4x4.com/

Here are 2 videos (fairly long but worth it) of the weekend too.

MG

Edited by Ghia - 02 Mar 09 at 20:54
green manalishi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green manalishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 21:07
Brilliant video's, those heavy old disco's really need diff lock.

Just proves what excellent vehicles syncro's are.

Simon.

1991 2.1 DJ 16" Factory Hightop camper
Kez View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 21:33
Was a fantastic weekend but think I caught the bug and now want to do many more (with Limey and my van). The guys from bonkas4x4wales were in a word.....bonkas but great fun and can't thank them enough for all the help and excitement they provided during the course of the weekend.

I also got to drive a stage (albeit an easy path!) Big smile

I have a feeling there may be a surge to purchase Syncro's after nearly everyone (including cyclists and walkers who were watching) mentioned they needed "one of those!" Smile 

Oh and the new website address is http://bonkas4x4wales.com/

Kez

Edited by Kez - 03 Mar 09 at 11:20
Frankenstein View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 22:28
love it syncros make it look so easy
Dan Williams
Buzz-Worx Camper conversions, Merchandise printing, Decals, i.c.e and joinery
permanent work in progress www.buzz-worx.co.uk tel:01782 922656

email: info@buzz-worx.co.uk
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 22:46
Rode that on my bike a few years ago, was hard enough on two wheels let alone in a van! credit to you Mike.
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
robert francis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 00:10

hi guys rob from bonkas, id like to get 1 thing clear im a landy owner and so proud but im not welsh, lol

glad you had a good weekend, we got a pay n play coming up in april and another in june, the 1 in june is the place where limey was stuck at the entrance of the forrest, Thumbs Down

its a good chance to meet like minded people and get muddy.
bonkas provide free teas and coffees and some sort of food at pay n play sites,
see you all again soon
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

the home of 4x4's
PITBULL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PITBULL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 09:17
i have to say the land rover drivers let us down on the day not the vehicles just drivers like ur syncro but like abit of axle travel they were bouncing all over the place goin up the step

well inpressed with ur vans but ill stick to my landys with lockers LOL
www.bonkas4x4wales.com
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 14:59
To be fair, i couldve driven that a bit more smoothly.

I was just having far too much fun booting it...Evil Smile
You can just about see the grin on my face in the last bit as i pass the camera. he he
Alan Hayes - Campervan Culture
e:al@campervanculture.com
m: 07967 010140

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 15:52

looks like you had a good time! Blown bridge has eroded to buggerey in 12months. Did you do church steps while you were thre ?

Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 16:44
No, we just did the gap a few times. We had a look on a map for some other lanes, found some, but not knowing whether they were any good or not we thought better to just stick to the Gap.

Would like to explore some others though next time im up thatta way
Alan Hayes - Campervan Culture
e:al@campervanculture.com
m: 07967 010140

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
syncrostan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrostan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 18:03
Great pics and vids,didn,t look as aggresive on the day Wink.Must have been a totaly different ballgame in the dark!!!
syncrodoug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrodoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 21:08
The last time I was there (MTB) the world and his wife were there too.
A gaggle of trail bikes (30+) and a convoy of assorted LRs plus our party of MTBers all converging on the Gap.
robert francis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robert francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 09 at 23:50
wheres the church step lane, ???
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

the home of 4x4's
 Post Reply Post Reply