The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > South African T3s
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temp Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlinowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp Gauge
    Posted: 18 Mar 14 at 17:36
Hi, just bought a SA T3,1993 2.5 Microbus with camper conversion. Dashboard was in a bit of a state, main connector on flexible printed circuit was broken and tracks damaged, so have fitted complete assembly from my broken 1.9DG van (with SA switches). Everything is working but the temp gauge is reading high, three quarters to max when warmed up and fan cutting in. Original dash was with rev counter but now have analogue clock type, will this make a difference? Is the voltage regulator different? Gauge was reading correctly (needle over led) on other van and SA gauge was also reading correctly. Not sure if fuel gauge is reading correctly, could be high though.
Thanks
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 14 at 17:10
Being a "gauge" it only shows a "relative" temperature. There isn't a "correct" place for it to sit. All of my vans over the years have been different (wbx & 5cyl). It's obvious when it raises from it's normal running position and the red light light will flash under fault conditions during normal driving etc. As with any instrument or gauge it can be calibrated but this isn't needed. If your bus isn't overheating and the cooling system is fault free why worry about it ? I think 80-90 wiki & The Samba have more details on this subject. PM me about rebuilt gauges if you like. Wink

Edited by TransPorscher - 20 Mar 14 at 17:12
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

marlinowner View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlinowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 14 at 17:30
Thanks for that, it was a bit confusing because the warning light was flashing after a period of driving which made me wonder if it was because the gauge was reading high (fan wasn't cutting in), but it turned out to be a bad connection on the level sensor, so now I'm happy for the gauge to read as it does.
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 14 at 20:23
It is a pain !!  I'm sure we've all driven our vans with the light flashing knowing the cooling system is fault free, but also thinking it might not be !!! Shocked If it happens again in the future & you know all else is 100% it'll be the gauge.It's probably the most complex & misunderstood circuit in the T3, my last 2.5 went to my brother & he set the circuit up ( including header tank) on a test bench to properly understand it, was very interesting to see & learn !!! I also recommend a new good quality thermostat & check the thermostat alloy housing for pitting/corrosion.
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

Post Reply Post Reply