The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temp gauge issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp gauge issue
    Posted: 01 Oct 17 at 19:50
I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I'm currently driving round with no temp gauge - not so bad pottering around town but I'm off to Spain next year in her
It all started last summer, I was on the way back from Croatia and noticed that the temp needle had just disappeared. I must have drove about 500 miles and suddenly it just appeared again. Anyway, a week or so later when back in the UK the engine went (cambelt slipped) and I had to get another engine fitted (Skoda AEF 1.9), and when it came back the needle had gone again (but the red light would flash a few times on first starting).
All this summer I've drove her with no needle but now the red light has started flashing continuously every now and again (pulling in and then starting the engine again normally stops it). The needle is sometimes just visible sometimes as well - but never goes up to halfway like it used to

Anyone got at ideas as to what it could be? Is it worth buying an independent temp gauge from Brickwerks?

Thanks in advance.
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 17 at 21:09
have you fitted the original jx cylinder head outlet? if so put a new sender in there. if you have the aef outlet with blue or yellow sender it may not work.... i had trouble with the aef constantly taking a dive off the scale and found out as soon as it opened (or closed) with the heat it would ground out and the needle would disappear. the flashing led will be the sender in the water tank (header) if the "burp" tank has been removed the mechanic may have only part filled the system.... it should be full! therefore the sender may sometimes not work maybe at full throttle or on an incline for instance... if the systems full the sender will be faulty or just dirty! (i kid you not) late antifreeze changes clogs up the cooling system and covers everything up with a coating....
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
bernard73 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernard73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 17 at 21:39
Thanks for the reply mate, I'll have to take a look at this and get back.
The thing is though this problem first occurred with the original engine (1.6d)?
Where will the sender be located on the aef?
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 17 at 19:58
front of engine in line with the glow plugs either a 2pin or 4 pin connector (multiplug)
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply