The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tdi transplant in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 08 at 23:59

no the switch is on when the water gets to 107 deg c [ according to the current flow diagram i have,  wv transporter august 1989 ], i tried checking the sensor  [ a new one ] in boiling water, it didnt work then used a soldering iron to heat it up [ only for a short time] it worked [ contacts closed] so the cylinder head water temp has to be very hot before the aux water pump and turbo cooling fan come on [if any of this is wrong please excuse me  iv been in the bar!!] Syncro G seems like your switch could do with a check?

1992 1.6td syncro
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 00:15

Whats 3c among friends.Smile

Looks like yours is fubar then syncro g.Cry

I have a plan on the temperature thing.LOL

Will make up a ali sensor holder, then weld that into a ali pipe.

Blow hot air in it until the t3 sensor goes into overheat mode on the t3 guage, measure the temperature. And then do the same for the Tdi sensor at the same temperature and see what happens on the t3 gauge. If it goes into overheat mode then i can live with it starting slightly higher on the guage when cold.

Wont be tomorrow or the day after though. Ive been playing with the charge cooler pipe work and the wiring harness. Removed the golf clocks so decided to strip the wires out of the harness and tidy it up a bit.

Theres always that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that your going to cut a wrong wire and then take 3 weeks trying to find.LOL

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 08 at 22:35

The charge cooler pipe work, not the best in the world but it will do for now, until i can find some 180 Ali degree bends that will fit.

Made a sensor housing up and welded that into the pipe, enable me to get rid of the plastic housing that came of the golf.

As you can see i'm new to Ali welding, it's dead easy to melt everything in sight.LOL

Pic

Wiring hell again.

Decided to have a tidy up in there. All the wires on the left next to charge cooler have gone, only 4 wires go that way now. The rest have been re-routed to the right side, because all the furniture is going to be re-made for RHD.

Pic

Edited by Full Throttle
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 08 at 22:11

The wiring is done.Big smile

Not without hiccups though, turned the key and the engine just turned over, not firing at all, as soon as i stopped turning the engine over the tdi relay started ticking constantly. Angry

Found that fault 15mins later, bad earth to battery.Big smile

Turned the key again and it ran for 3 seconds then stopped,not now please.

This took a while to fix, imobiliser fault springs straight to mind. Checked the imobiliser wiring once, twice, three times, and all the wires are going to the right places. (F**)

Looked at the pile of wires on the floor and am thinking, which one of you bar stewards should be in the van. Got the Vagcom out and it confirmed the fault, imobiliser stopping engine start fault.

Then out came the multi meter, and the fault was found 1 hour later mind. Big smile

I had taped a wire for the imobiliser to another instead of tapping into that wire, the tape made it look like i had done the task earlier.LOL

The joys of wiring hell.

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 09:46

You probably don't want to know this now but the AAZ inlet manifold faces the other way so it's great for installs with chargecoolers. The ports are the same size etc and you can blank off the EGR easily.

Yes wiring's great fun init!

MG

Edited by Ghia
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 08 at 21:19

No i did'nt want to know that Mike. LOL

Looking a bit tidier in the wiring dept, after hours of tedious soldering.

I have left the T3 wiring intact in case i ever need to put a jx engine back in it.

Pic

ECU, glow plug relays and imobiliser will all be mounted to a plate similiar to mikeghia's setup.

The last few wires for the DLC, key transducer and clutch and brake pedal sensors will be run inside the van to the front cabine area.

pic

Edited by Full Throttle
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 22:57
What happens when you get bored ?

You play with the van. LOL

Decided to convert the interior to RHD, and had some alloy lying around like you do.

So i made these up.Smile

Will use the original doors to make life easier.

The cupboard unit is a pain in the butt due to rear door having an angle on it so you cant use the original door, so ll have to get two doors made up somewhere.

End result: It is lighter than the original westy stuff, but the down side is i could halved the weight again.Ouch

The square cut out of the bottom of the unit in pic 1 is where the eberspacher is going. It wont be seen as it goes into the bench seat and connects to the original blower outlet on the bench seat.

Van update: Had the gearbox's done, so it's now a 4.57 diff van, still to make my mind up about the third and four gear upgrade though. New VC fitted, but the down side is it has made me notice that the front outer and inner cv joints are shot, loud clicking. Ouch

Edited by Full Throttle - 31 Jul 08 at 23:00
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 08 at 19:59

Getting there.

Edited by Full Throttle - 01 Aug 08 at 20:01
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 08 at 20:57
Clap
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 08 at 19:02
Wow, very bling!
MG
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 10:26
Any more news on the temp sender issue, did you decide to run both the t3 and golf sensor. Does the golf sensor talk to the ecu as well as the temp gauge? Did you fit a taller 5th gear as well as the 4.57 diff? Is there a clutch centre plate that will fit the golf clutch that saves the need for the tdi style input shaft. What size is the tdi centre plate?
The project looks good. I like all the alloy parts you have been building for engine and cupboards.
Keep up the good work.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 16:36
No more news im afraid, been a little busy lately.
Decided to extend my garage to make room for another van when i buy one some time soon. Was buying another van but had to back out due to threat of redundancy from the company, thats all sorted now so i can carry on as usall for now. Will be playing with the temp sensor during the winter and finishing the conversion. cant work under the car port anymore.Smile

Not fitted the taller gear yet still deciding which one to go for as the one i have (0.70) is probably a little tall. Cant help on the clutch plate as i used the complete golf setup and did'nt measure the plate. You should be able to check it out yourself as it is all standard Golf 1.9 1z tdi engine and clutch,  M/N Reg. If i remeber rightly i think the ecu does use the temp sender as well as the guage its self, 4 wires are in the golf sensor. Hence why i need to alter the resistance of the original golf sensor to work with the T3 guage.
joolsvw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joolsvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 08 at 21:04

Hey - I1`d be really interested to know what gearing you go for - my 16 inch has a 1z in it and offroad it seems pretty good and torquey.  However on the falt you are thrahing the nuts of it over 50!  So much for low rev peak torque!  Love to get a longer gear in her for motorway cruising

Jools

you know - people never cease to amaze me!
T3 Atlantic 1.6TD, Syncro 16 DOKA TDi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123