The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tdi transplant in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tdi transplant in progress
    Posted: 21 Oct 07 at 23:42

The 1.6 TD just dont cut the mustard with a 4.57 diff and taller tires struggles on any kind of a hill.

So out it came today and in went the Tdi, just got to wire the electronics back up and put some fluids in and away i should go,or i will be once i work out where to put the s*dding starter battery.

monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 07 at 08:46
coolio, pics and updates fella :)
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 07 at 22:43

What a pain in the butt that battery position is, decieded to keep battery where it is and make up an airfilter box to slot down the side of it and then put the ecu just above that lot. Got to put the ecu there because when it was in the 2wd van it sat on the rear interior slope, cant put it there as the diesel tank is in the way. Just means i have to mess around with the wiring harness again, which isnt to bad as i do need to shorten some of the wires to tidy it up.

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 07 at 22:46

Baxter and I have been working on a TDi Syncro over the last week and although we didn't do the original conversion (there were lots of things we would have done differently), the wiring was taken through the floor and up into the passenger space. To be honest I would want to put as much of the electrical gismos out of the engine bay as possible. They weren't designed to get wet and that's what's going to happen to them.

Pics please

MG

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 08:20

Hi Mike,

I was going to cut a hole in the deck and fit the ecu under the rear cupboard, still might but try not to for now.

The plan of action is put the wiring harness in get it running again, unfortunately i just cut all the wires to get the harness back out of the 2wd van, so had a heavy session on the soldering iron again last night.LOL 

Pics hey, i'll see what i can muster up, not much has changed really.

90HP 1.9TDi 1z engine out off a golf with the complete golf clutch setup and the conversion input shaft for the gearbox.

Only thing really that has changed for the syncro is the air filter box.

Cant use the original golf airfilter box as the battery is in the way.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 18:40

After some help if any one knows what the red dot connects to.

The rubber pipe with the red dot in below pic  connects to the ? in the other pic but what connects to ? in the other pic

The blue dot connects to the ecu if i remember rightly. ?

Edited by Full Throttle
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 18:56

It's connected to the servo

MG

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 07 at 19:31

Star, very true i remember the bit that is missing now, after consulting with a guru of course. WinkClap

Halfords dont sell them.Cry will have to get another tomorrow.

Cheers Michael

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 19:10

Thought i would finish the transplant today, on a mission.

Well got the engine running no problems from the harness after modifying it, prayed as i turned the key and it burst into life. Big smile

Bleed the clutch ready to roll it off the ramps and back under the car port.

Oh but whats that noise i hear from the clutch when i press the pedal down, slight tinkling noise.

I've only gone and put the syncro box on with out installing the ing conversion shaft for the golf clutch.Angry

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 19:59

Oops... bad luck mate. Everyone forgets stuff like that sometimes.

Good to know it's not far away. Will you be up for some offroading soon?

MG

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 07 at 20:25

No off roading for a while, still got to convert the front gearbox and put the taller gears in the rear box. Just got cheesed of with the 1.6TD not having enough go in it with the taller diff and 15" AT tires.

See how it is with the tdi in it, then think about the gears again.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 08 at 22:24

Well it's warm isnt it, so i started work on the van again.

Decided to make another air box and put it next to the battery in the space behind the right rear lights.

I bought one of them THS charge coolers, but it's to big to fit in the space behind the left rear lights looking at back of van. However this was not going to stop me so i cut some chunks out of it so it will fit into the space.LOL 

Still looking for a swirl pot if anyone has one.Cry

While rummaging around in the space behind the left rear light i found the snorkel, may fit that on the other side and connect it to the air box i made.

Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 08 at 23:44

Any pics of what's going on?

Swirl pot?

MG

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 08 at 23:52

will do some pics tomorrow.

yes , need a swirl pot for the charge cooler if anyone has one spare.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 08 at 18:23

Pic of air box position.

Pic of THS charge cooler mods.

And pic of position, this will be fixed to top of space with rubber mounts, this enable good clearance for the 50mm inlet and outlet.

Repositioned the ecu, had to cut a hole in the deck to postion it under the rear cupboard. No pic for this yet.

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 08 at 19:18

Other info for fitting the 1.9TDi engine to a syncro or T3 van.

The donor engine came from a 1.9 Tdi golf, so i kept the Golf fly wheel and clutch setup.

here is a pic of it.

To use the golf fly wheel and clutch setup you need to purchase the tdi conversion shaft. The tdi clutch plate has more teeth in the center compared to the T3 Diesel clutch plate. The downside is that the tdi fly wheel rubs against the starter motor, so you will need to skim the fly wheel slightly. Not sure if the Audi tdi flywheels are the same so they may not need skimming.

Here is a pic of the shafts

The Tdi and T3 diesel shaft look identical but the tdi has more teeth on it.

Here is a pic of it next to the T3 diesel shaft in a syncro box, all you need to do is replace the T3 shaft with the Tdi shaft.

Tdi shaft is on the right.

Edited by Full Throttle
Ghia View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nesh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 08 at 20:27

Good info there. That chargecooler looks a tad large . Hope you're good at tig welding.. I need to practise on ally!

Air box looks neat. Have you connected it up to a snorkel? The petrol one sits on that side so you should be able to use a factory fitting at the top.

After the flooding we've had today in and around Leeds, I've been driving through 2 ft water lots and am very glad I fitted the snorkel!

MG

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 08 at 23:24

Cheers Mike,

Not fitted the snorkel yet, but will later as their is still plenty of room at the back for it to connect to the air box. The THS charge cooler is big the inlet and outlet on it are 3" as standard and you cant even get it in the space. Luckily i needed 50mm inlet and outlet, so measured up with that in mind and it would just fit. The good thing about the THS charge coolers is they are relativley cheap.Big smile

Just done another session on the soldering iron connecting the ecu wires back on. (I hate that job).LOL

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 08 at 23:09

Some more pics if anyone is still awake or interested.LOL

Snorkel will fit in the right hand side space looking at back of van which is a result.Big smile

This pic just needs a short bit of 70mm Ali pipe welding onto back of airbox, then a small piece of convoluted hose to fit to the plastic bottom part of the snorkel.

The diameter of the air intake (MAF sensor) on the air box is 70mm and luckily a 70mm hose will fit in the space shown below.

Heres a pic of the rear access via the rear light cluster, plenty of room for connecting and disconnecting the hose from the air box to original pipe work on the snorkel.

And one of the modified charge cooler in place,just needs to lifted up more in the space for easy fixing of pipe work to turbo. Rear cooling hose will come underneath the charge cooler.

Edited by Full Throttle
T3di View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 08 at 18:09

Looking good Nigel,and very familiar chargecooler location

I'm moving this set up on mine as its too tight and the pipework rubs on the turbo inlet.

I sourced some rubberised bolts etc for isolating it, from a bloke off ebay but as they're M5 I'm not sure if they'll be sturdy enough yet.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>