The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tandem Pump Test.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willboff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tandem Pump Test.
    Posted: 07 Nov 12 at 16:03
Hi all did a test on my tandem pump not sure I got it right.
Put a gauge into to test port on the side of the pump.
Started van.
4-5 BAR of pressure (quite erratic).
Reved up to 1500rpm 8+ BAR (quite erratic).
Stopped engine pressure dropped to 0.
Tried again with NRV in fuel supply line, again pressure dropped to 0 again.
Switched ignition on and off a few times to prime pump, no pressure.

Do these figures point towards pump issues or head/injectors?

Obviously I got a problem here as I thought there would at least be a little pressure from the lift pump? Also I think my Camshaft is gone since there's alot of rattling coming from the pump end of the top of the motor.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 12 at 22:30
I'm not sure about fuel pressure issues. Perhaps others more knowledgeable can comment.

Three common causes for a knackered camshaft (and followers) are:

1 Early build R5 engines had camshafts and followers made out of cheese.

2 If the wrong oil is used the cams and followers will wear.

3 If diesel gets into the engine oil the result is much the same as 2.
Willboff View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willboff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 06:35

2006 BNZ 2.5. probably should've mentioned that! Is that an early one?

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 11:25
Originally posted by Willboff Willboff wrote:

2006 BNZ 2.5. probably should've mentioned that! Is that an early one? 

No, it was the 2004 build 2.5s that had "cheesy" cams and followers (but even the later ones need the right oil at the right change intervals or they will wear).  

I think the VW design with PD (injector pumps) running off the cams puts a LOT of load on the cams and followers (I have an idea someone said the cam surfaces are a bit narrow for the load they have to carry).
Willboff View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willboff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 11:56
Ye deffinately coming from that end of the cam. Wonder if it could affect the pump (or wreck it) and cause the starting problems...
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 12:06
There is a PD "pump" for each cylinder, so if only one was faulty it shouldn't affect starting that much.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 17:18
I speak here on this withou specific knowledge.

Could the end bearing on the shaft be shot and floating about affecting the injection across the cylinders and with a bit of wear not allot of happness?
Willboff View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willboff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 12 at 21:31
Thats what I was thinking.... kinda. I suspect with so much vibration the pump could be leaking and maybe thats why I'm losing the pressure hence the bad starting???
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 12 at 11:10
Are we starting ok or are we still sick, the suspense is killing us.
Willboff View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willboff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 12 at 02:36
Sorry just got van back after many weeks. Injector seals. Now sorted starting problem. Done 100 miles and got permanant limp mode, glowplug light flashes when accelerator pressed, squeeling noise from engine. I hate my life :(
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 12 at 12:17
Don't hate your life, just hate your van when it is a problem.  And don't feel bad, all of us do it at some time or other  Wink
Chrissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 19 at 23:39
hello pleased to be a new member .willbof this maybe an old post but I have same van symptoms as you have /had did you resolve them what was it after thanks .πŸ‘πŸ»
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 10:57
Originally posted by Chrissy Chrissy wrote:

hello pleased to be a new member .willbof this maybe an old post but I have same van symptoms as you have /had did you resolve them what was it after thanks .πŸ‘πŸ»

Member Willbof hasn't visited this forum since 2013, so I don't think you are likely to get any response from them (sorry).

Edited by gregozedobe - 08 Jul 19 at 10:58
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 11:44
Welcome Chrissy,Smile  

As Greg says the O/P hasn't been around for quite a while.  If you only have noise coming from that end of the engine it is more likely to be the tandem pump than the cam.  I have a feeling there may be an (aftermarket) repair kit available because there are springs and other bits in there that can break up.  A new genuine tandem pump is pricey (a few hundred pounds).  If the tandem pump is failing it could cause bad starting, bad running or/and an oil leak.  There are many other things that can cause bad starting if that is what your problem is.

Let us know what year/engine/size/code/ and problem is and we will try and help if we can. 

2004 2.5 174
Chrissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 13:27
hi thanks for reply .πŸ‘πŸ»i think a pierberg tandem pump is around 220 quid which isnt the end of the world .its a 54 plate 2.5 174 tdi thanks again blue smoke on tic over and thick black when under load .i get it plugged in to cgeck although no lights up on dash .occasional oil top up thiugh  its had new turbo new intercooler tested injectors .and new catalytic converter i dont think it has a dpf .i will post my findings thanks again.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 15:26
Probably an 'AXE' engine like mine which has a CAT but no DPF.  The blue smoke is from burning engine oil and the black smoke is from burning fuel.  If it was me I would first take the fuel filter off and check that the fuel you tip out is clean, new diesel, if it looks grey or black it's not good news.  Then I would take the lower hose off the (new) intercooler.  There should only be a residue of engine oil in the intercooler.  If oil comes dribbling out, suspect the new turbo, especially if it is not genuine or not from a source with a reputation for quality.   
2004 2.5 174
Chrissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 17:05
ok thanks so if fuel is contaminated I would suspect tandem pump is that correct .πŸ‘πŸ»it is the axe engine yes
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 18:52
No it's the other way round, the tandem pump can cause fuel to leak into the oil which can dilute it causing engine wear.  You can usually tell because the oil smells of diesel and/or the oil level is high on the dipstick.  If the fuel is contaminated it's most likely to be the injector seals or the injectors moving around in the head.  This can get very expensive so that is why I suggested checking for this fault before going further.  If there is enough fuel contamination it could lead to your smoke especially if the oil level is high.  If you do find the oil level high don't drive the van.

On the other hand if your fault is the tandem pump is rattling like the O/P's,  just repair/replace that.  
2004 2.5 174
Chrissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 19:16
thanks gladly top guy .post soon as my local garage has ripped me offπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ with a smile i hope.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 19 at 21:15
You never said what the faults with your van were Chrissy.  My advice is to research online for a garage that understands the quirky old 2.5's.  I'm guessing that you are not based in the UK but the same advice stands. Smile         
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>