The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedT5 towbar wiring help please...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 towbar wiring help please...
    Posted: 23 May 07 at 19:42

Hi Guys, I am new here but really need some help. I have just bought a T5 t30 tdi 104bhp which i am going be turning into a camper or somthing like that.

But first i need to fit my towbar electrics as i am of down devon this saturday and i am towing a boat. A firend of mine said you may not be able to wire the towbar electrics into the back lights as the van use's a can bus system, and that i need a proper plug in wireing loom.

Is this the case or as anyone wired in there own socket before?

I will be fitting the bar tommorow so any quicl help would be great.

Thanks Andy

Mr Hedgehog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 07 at 20:16

Hi Andy

I wired mine into the rear lights 104 T30 2006

You can buy a plug in kit from VW for the electrics if you don’t want to splice into the rear light loom, but I was quite happy to splice

As far as I’m aware the only time CANBUS need settings changed is if you have got reversing sensors, I found it best to take most of the feeds for the socket from the right hand side as this is where the loom runs down

It’s an easy job fitting the tow bar itself but removing the under covers is a pain and don’t forget the fasters behind the rear wheel arc cover to take the bumper off

Happy fittingSmile

Edited by Mr Hedgehog
Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 07 at 20:33

Hi Andy.

I agree with HH.

Bit of a " faff " removing trims etc. to fit tow bar, but electrics were taken as HH said, from the right side, and " scotched on ".

andrewmancheste View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 07 at 22:48

Hi Mr Hedgehog and Fifty pence.

Thats great news.  One small problem is that my van does have reversing sensors, But i guess that i would only have to plug into the can bus to disable this so that when the socket is conected the sensors won't beep? I can live with the beeping for this weekend.(Can this be done using vag com, which i have?)

It has took me weeks to find a good t5 at the right money,  so i am rushing now as the trip to devon has been planned for months.

Carpeting the inside of the rear when i get back so no doubt i will be back for some help. (please)

Thanks Andy

Post Reply Post Reply