The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 Overheating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Overheating
    Posted: 20 Oct 19 at 21:44
Hi guys I've had some great results on here in the past so I thought I would give it another go.

I have a VW T5 2007 T28 1.9PD money pit in red. 

Here is my scenario I was hoping for some pointers. 

20k miles ago I had head gasket done. The water pump and timing belt done. Also new radiator, new bottle and cap and new thermostat.. Since then up until recently it's been great. 

However. 
In the the last 3 months or so I have been losing coolant to the value of abouT30ml per 500miles.... Ish. There has been No overheating at all. My normal commute is motorway with no hills or engine strain. 

On Friday I topped the coolant up then travelled 150 motorway miles. No issues at all. No loss of coolant. 

Tonight I have driven back and noticed that on a steady run of 65mph ish the temp sits nicely in the middle at 90.

Apart from when going up a steep ish hill at 70mph when I got to the top I noticed the temp had crept up to about to nearly three quarter line. Nowhere near boiling. 
As soon as I went over the hill and eased off the temp dropped back to middle. I would say the tone of the engine was deep sounding like it was close to needing to drop to 4th but I went over the top of the hill first.

For rest of the journey temp stayed at middle fine. Got to another. Longer but not as steep hill the temp nudged up slightly. The engine wasn't struggling as much as the 1st time but sat steady at probably 2/3 of 5th gears capability.

I seem to be developing a overheating issue when the engine is under stress. 
I have used about 100ml of water on this trip which is about 350 miles. 

Does anyones have any ideas given the amount of things I have had changed in the past. I can't see any obvious leaks but I am certainly not an expert.

Thanks for any help that's out there. 
Cheers

Neil
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 19 at 01:40
I assume you have checked the oil and the coolant isn't going into the engine oil.

The missing coolant must be going somewhere.  Either externally (eg pinhole leak in hose that sprays on exhaust and evaporates so no drips on the ground), or there is a head gasket problem and it is going into the combustion chamber and out the exhaust.  

I'd look for traces of dried coolant all around the engine bay first, maybe using a snakecam to see all the awkward areas.  If there is a leak then the coolant won't be at the correct pressure which reduces its effectiveness.

If you can't find anything there next I'd try a pressure test on the coolant system.  

From what you have said I'm suspicious of the head gasket.  Did they check for a warped head when they replaced the head gasket ?

Edited by gregozedobe - 21 Oct 19 at 01:42
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 19 at 09:38
As Greg says really.  If it is the cylinder head again you ought to be seeing coolant stains below the cap where it releases excess pressure.  Either that or steam from the exhaust if the coolant is being burned.  

Although you have only done 20k, if the new pump was a cheap one perhaps the impeller is slipping.  That usually causes overheating under load.  Have a look at the return pipe from the heater with the cap off.  See if it is still working with some revs on.     

2004 2.5 174
heskethlmu View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 19 at 12:05
thanks for the replies.

The head was done twice. The first guys used crap BGA gaskets that gave out. 
So I went to a reputable garage who checked the ewhole system. They found the knackered radiator. Then they pressure tested the head. Skimmed and put on a genuine gasket. 
When my HG was knackered last time I had coolant all over the header tank and underneath where its had been pressuring out. None of that this time. 

There is no coolant in oil or oil in coolant either. 

On my normal commute today the van did not hear up any quicker than it normally does. It's seems to be driving perfectly normal until you add in a hill and load the engine up. 

The water pump and timing belt were done they are BGA brand. 

I'll try have a good look around the engine bay for a leak but couldn't see anything obvious last night. 

Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 19 at 05:25
make sure the leak hose at the back of the engine, from the waterpump is clear and check it for moisture after a run

Edited by Rebuild - 22 Oct 19 at 05:25
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 19 at 09:19
It's a 1.9 Steve..
2004 2.5 174
heskethlmu View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heskethlmu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 19 at 19:34
cheers I will do mate.

I'll be spending done time on it next week based on the tips on here. 

Thanks to all. 

When I get an outcome I will post it on here for you all. 

Cheers

Neil 
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 19 at 06:58
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

It's a 1.9 Steve..

Do they have one, like the 2.5?
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 19 at 09:33
No drain pipe on the 1.9.  The pipe is a quirk of the 2.5 5 cyl  and the V10 engines.  It is only there because the water pump is internal, it is supposed to stop the coolant going into the engine if the water pump fails.  

The water pump has an external seal to the cooling system and a second seal to the engine, when the pump bearings fail, the shaft play damages both seals and the coolant leaks into the small chamber alongside the pump.  The chamber is supposed to drain to the ground via that pipe but it's usually blocked and the coolant goes into the engine.  Most of it ends up at the bottom of the sump like on this van I changed a pump on years ago!

2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply