The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t5 facelift test drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Hedgehog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 14:15
Originally posted by Berisford Berisford wrote:

Originally posted by VWstealer VWstealer wrote:

Just to add to people's confusion over taxation classes - the New (T5.1) Transporter Kombi has been type-approved as LGV so it DOES get the same EuroV lower tax as the panel van.
The T5.1 Window vans are as before - taxed as Diesel car.

Indeed, I was just looking through the brochure and noticed the above fact.

Very interesting indeed, so the latest Kombi's are speed restricted as a LGV is?

That aside, the fact that we have almost identical vehicles (T5.1 & T5) with different (vastly in some recent cases) taxation prices is just typical of this governments ill advised and poorly thought out VED policy.

Jerks. (and what's happened to our old '*ankers' smiley?)

I couldn’t agree more they are a proper bunch of Herberts, They also reduced Plant first year allowance to 40% as a temporary measure  Ouch

Jumped Ship to a Vito but I hear a 2021 T6 calling, only real difference is the Vito cab is more car like.
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 14:19
That is just rubbish.  I'm paying £400+ per year in tax for my Kombi because it's a T5 and anyone buying a T5.1 (is that their official BY-name?) only pays £125?   That's utter bollocks.

Is the T5.1 Kombi really super efficient in terms of fumes or just totally reclassed?   It sounds like it's just reclassed?  How do they justufy that without reclassing all T5 Kombis?

2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
VWstealer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 14:19

Q.  Why are the speed limits different when very often cars & vans are in the same tax class for DVLA registration purposes?

A.  Some people make the mistake of thinking that if a van is in the same tax or registration class as a car then it is subject to the same speed limits.  However the two issues are unrelated and they are governed by different legislation.  National speed limits are set out in the 1984 legislation are based on the possible load capacities of the vehicle and whether or not it is used for carrying passengers.

*www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/speedmanagement/vanspeedlimits*
Taxation class has nothing to do with the speed limit a vehicle can go - this issue is mentioned on this forum quite a lot, if you drive a Window van/Kombi you are driving A VAN and are subject to the same speed limts as someone with a Panel van.  It does not matter how much you pay for your tax disc!!!  The above is a quotation from the Department for Transport website, freely accessible information for anyone with interweb access!
The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Did Not Exist...
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 14:34
Good link Stealer.  

What about motorways?  Are they classified as "dual carriageway" ?

VWstealer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 14:55

Speed limit for motorway is 70mph.  Dual carriageway refers to 2 lanes in each direction, separated by a barrier or strip of land.

The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Did Not Exist...
nox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 17:36
you could reclassify as a motorhome - would take over 10 years to re-coup the cost of the conversion tho...

Although i'm still not sure if that changes your speed limit...

Nox

Edited by nox - 01 Feb 10 at 17:38
IT'S HERE!!!!
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 19:25
That is a good link!

So basically even though my window van is "diesel car" on the log book, it is classed as a "van" in the eyes of the law as its gross vehicle weight is 3 tonnes.

So its speed limit is 50 on an unrestricted single carriageway.

In reality I'll contimue to drive at the same speed as I would in a car.  Almost all the speed controls around here are speed cameras and as these cannot distinguish between a "diesel car" and a diesel car as long as I stick to 60 I'm fine.

Bollocks to driving at 50, bloody ridiculous rule.
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 10 at 19:33
[QUOTE=Mr Hedgehog]

Hi Kev, I was pushing for 12% off list but the guy were I went today wouldn't say yes or no 

Hi I was given 10 % today without even asking, waiting for a bid on my kombi before I start to haggle.

Strange that VW do not offer a bluetooth option for their stereos.Thumbs Down

Apparently you have to buy a separate thingy.

Kev.
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 13:25
Thumbs Down

How Much  !!

Ive just been offered £ 3 k  plus vat for my LWB Kombi,

55 plate , shadow blue, privacy pack , electric pack, elec folding mirrrors , unmarked bodywork, 6 seats, 
full VW main dealer service history, 140k miles , new discs and pads at dealers within last 4 months , serviced 2500 miles ago ect.......

Taking the piss me thinks, yes the miles are high but for such a nice looking van £3k .

Take a look see what you think .

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t5-aesthetics_topic4959_page8.html

Kev.

Edited by Kev The Gas - 02 Feb 10 at 13:27

180PS DSG Sold

neil76 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 13:46
They can't retail it at those miles so straight into the auction. Looks nice though, I'd buy it for £4k.
What motor is it? 1.9 or 2.5?
Sticking it on here or ebay and selling it privately will only put you in a stronger position on the new one too. Bet you'd get 12-15% for a straight purchase.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 14:46
Nice looking van Kev.   Always best to sell privately if you can - you'll make much more money than a part-ex.  Obviously part-ex is loads more handy though.  Can't believe they are only offering £3k.   I would have thought even the stealer would offer about £8k for a van like that.  Does the mileage matter?  These VWs go on and on and on and on anway.

Can you find a price on Parkes (or whatever is the equivalent for VW T5s if they don't do vans in there)?

simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 16:59
Don't worry Kev I will give you £3,100 cash for it.

I bet you feel better already, £100 profit.
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
Tim the gas View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 18:18
Originally posted by Kev The Gas Kev The Gas wrote:

Thumbs Down

How Much  !!

55 plate , shadow blue, privacy pack , electric pack, elec folding mirrrors , unmarked bodywork, 6 seats, 
full VW main dealer service history, 140k miles , new discs and pads at dealers within last 4 months , serviced 2500 miles ago ect.......

Taking the piss me thinks, yes the miles are high but for such a nice looking van £3k .

Kev.

I asked Colbornes just before xmas what the likely trade in would be on mine.
They told me approx £7500 but would get more selling privately.
Thats for a LWB panel van,69000 miles,174,air con,elec mirror pack, comfort seat pack,
alloys (16"),6 disc CD changer,charcoal filter, ply lined,towbar,roof prep,reversing sensors.
Tornado red colour(no metallic). Un-signwritten. Full VW service history.

I think 3K is just a bit low - piss taking fuckers.LOL

2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN
Tim the gas View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 18:20
Originally posted by Tim the gas Tim the gas wrote:

Thumbs Down

How Much  !!

Kev.

I asked Colbornes just before xmas what the likely trade in would be on mine.
They told me approx £7500 but would get more selling privately.
Thats for a LWB panel van,69000 miles,174,air con,elec mirror pack, comfort seat pack,
alloys (16"),6 disc CD changer,charcoal filter, ply lined,towbar,roof prep,reversing sensors.
Tornado red colour(no metallic). Un-signwritten. Full VW service history.

I think 3K is just a bit low - piss taking fuckers.LOL

Sorry forgot - its a October 2004 registered van on a 54 plate.Tongue
2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN
Petehelmet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petehelmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 21:02

If it still looks like that in the pics then they are seriously taking the piss.

You could sell all the extras for somewhere near £1000
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 21:13
Still Dazed and confused, I went to the same garage on Saturday and spoke to a sales guy 

On the forecourt as I was browsing, he suggested a figure around 6k!.

3k difference from 2 sales guys in the same dealership!

Think I will run it into the ground.

kev.

180PS DSG Sold

energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 21:37

Still Dazed and confused, I went to the same garage on Saturday and spoke to a sales guy 

On the forecourt as I was browsing, he suggested a figure around 6k!.

3k difference from 2 sales guys in the same dealership!

kev.

If you go back tomorrow and speak to someone else you may be offered 9KLOL
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 22:27

Kev, it's the only plan that makes financial sense and is also my plan.  You have a smart van there and 14k miles is nothing - ask any T5 taxi driver.  As the new model appears and the guinea pigs take their chances there is huge value in better the devil you know. 

I bought mine new four years ago and (out of curiosity) asked its value at a stealer at three years old and was told £7k. That's a cost, just in depreciation, of £23k - 7k = £16k = £444 per month!!! 

Even now if it's worth say £7k at private sale prices that's £333 per month on depreciation.  At 12 years and £3k residual it equates to £139 per month on average.

The only way I could justify spending £23k on a new van was to keep it for at least a dozen years.
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
nox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 10 at 23:45
is this all 2.5 T5 kombis that got hit with mega-tax?

Nox
IT'S HERE!!!!
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 10 at 09:19
no, mine is £235 a year
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>