The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 2.5tdi won't start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 2.5tdi won't start
    Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 08:58
Hi I'm new here and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction...
My van cut out whilst driving and has not run since. My limited knowledge has come to a halt. What I have done is thus so far... There is no reading from the OBD port. I've sent the ECU away and had it tested , they say it is fine. I've checked every single fuse to my knowledge, all fine. The in tank fuel pump sounds like it is working. 2 garages I've approached shuffle their feet and are not interested....If anyone has any ideas it would much appreciated
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 17 at 09:57
Diagnosing problems on-line is difficult. It might help if you give us some more info (and the more details the better) - things like:

engine code, 
mileage
any recent work (especially electrical or fuel related)
any recent problems (rough running, hard to start)
when it cut out did it splutter to a halt or just sharply cut power entirely
any warning/error lights (both when it stopped the first time, and when you try to start it)
what happens when you try to start it (describe in great detail)

Without communication via the OBD port obviously you can't get any error codes, so that is the first line of investigation I'd look at - is there power at the OBD port ?

Edited by gregozedobe - 14 Mar 17 at 09:58
Gordini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 07:02
Hi I appreciate your reply and understand it's difficult to diagnose so I think it's best to keep it simple so people don't go off on too much of a tangent. The van was running sweet as a nut, when it cut out there were no warning lights. It didn't cough or splutter, nothing went bang. The OBD port is completely dead. When turning the engine over on the key it sounds fine to my ear but absolutely no attempt to fire up. I don't know engine code but it's a T30 bus 2.5tdi. It had a remap but as I said I've had the ECU tested.....I've checked fuses in van and under battery???
Gordini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 07:23
I guess I'm just hoping to bump into someone who's had the same symptoms. I've read hours of forums but nothing seems to tick all the boxes
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 09:14
where are you? there may be someone local willing to help?

T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 16:54
I don't think you will get a quick fix for that one.  You will probably need a sparkie/indie/dealer.  The most likely cause is wiring chafed or corroded somewhere.  But which wire and where the fault is will take time and experience to find.

When you say the OBD port is 'completely dead' what exactly do you mean by that?  Using a meter you would only expect to find one 12v supply.  (Pin 12 bottom right).  Or do you mean it's dead because it won't communicate with the engine when it's plugged in to diagnostics?     
2004 2.5 174
Gordini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 18:45
Hi, thanks for replying...There is no power to the OBD....it was working fine before. I can't find the information of where the power comes from to the OBD port, there must be a link to it cutting out. Perhaps one of the relays has blown up...unfortunately I can't afford the intake of breathe and scratch of the chin 😊
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 17 at 21:10
Based on your symptomsI'd be looking for a loss of power supply further up the chain, possibly on the way to the main ECU.  Corrosion in connectors and pins falling out are also possible causes.

Don't forget to check for earths as well in your investigating, as no earth will stop things like ECUs etc from working just as effectively as no power supply.

Gordini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 17 at 07:21
I've just remembered it had a knew turbo 6months ago, , would any electrics be involved in that ie: in the removal... Electrician it will have to be me thinks 🤑
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 17 at 09:11
I don't think the lack of a 12v supply to the OBD socket would stop the engine on its own so something is causing you to lose 12v supplies to several things including the OBD socket.  

If it was my van I'd start at the main supply relay (109) in the ebox under the battery.  It should be getting a 12v supply and earth via the ECU.  There is a fair bit about how to test this relay online.  But don't risk accidentally shorting stuff (=dead ECU) if you are not sure!    

2004 2.5 174
Gordini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 17 at 09:54
Cheers for advice will let you know if I have any luck
 Post Reply Post Reply