The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 2.5 AXE no power and loads of smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 2.5 AXE no power and loads of smoke
    Posted: 07 Oct 19 at 21:01
I've just bought a 2006 T5 2.5 with a AXE Engine. Was told by the seller the Turbo is faulty. When for a test drive, saw the smoke spoke to some people and decided to take the chance and buy it. Put it on a trailer took it home and stripped the Turbo to only find out its a brand new Turbo. Nothing al all wrong with it. Previous owner not giving me any info I am now on my own. Here in South Africa it's hard finding people who specialize in vw only but got hold of a guy far away in SA that gave some advice, he said he has had many similar issues and after only reaching the fuel /vacuum pump on the motor its all sorted. We haven't stripped the engine yet as I don't want to unless I have to. It's starts real easy and revs up, you can hear the Turbo spool up but can't drive it as I can probably walk faster and the smoke is a clear sign of issues. I'm not a mechanic in any way so help would be greatly appreciated. Do I start with the tandem pump? Do I replace or rebuild it first? Or do I try sell it as is and cut my losses. I've always wanted a T5 and so it begun.... 
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 19 at 21:26
if it starts and runs it most likely not the pump, is the oil over full or very thin or have diesel in it, how much smoke what colour/ has the intercooler pipework and exhaust been cleaned off all the old oil? does disconnecting the air flow meter make any difference to running or smoke ?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 19 at 01:03
First thing is to get a good code reader (eg vcds) to find out what error codes have been recorded by the ECU.  Are there any error lights or warning messages showing on the instruments ?

Next I'd look for leaks somewhere in the intake pipework (from the turbo outlet through the intercooler to the intake manifold).  Loose connections aren't uncommon.

Another possibility is the sensors in the intake that measure how much air is going in (electrical connections or the sensor itself is faulty).

It could also be a cam timing issue, does it look like the cam covers have been off at all  eg to fit new cams/followers).

Unfortunately lots of things can go wrong, and sometimes can be tricky to track down.  But a logical, persistent approach can usually locate the source (eventually).

Good Luck !

Edited by gregozedobe - 08 Oct 19 at 09:32
Henri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 19 at 05:21
Thank you. It does look like the cam cover was off, the mass airflow sensor did have a fault and I replaced it. With the scan I got a few faults. One was the maf, then the outside temp sensor, then Turbo under boost / permanent, fuel temperature sensor, engine control unit blocked. No idea what the last one is. Thanks again for the pointers. 
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 19 at 09:36
As 912 says, what colour is the smoke ?  Black usually indicates too rich a fuel/air ratio (which can be lack of turbo boost), white/grey can be oil or coolant (not a good sign).

If you clear all the error codes which ones come back ?
Henri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 19 at 09:50
It's white smoke. Smells very oily. Turbo under boost comes back on the scan straight away. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 19 at 10:59
It does sound like a classic split intercooler or one of the big hoses after the turbo split (or popped off) to me.  The symptoms of a hose popped off can be clouds of white smoke, zero power and even knocking, the intercooler leaking air is similar but less severe depending on how bad it is.  Sometimes they can hiss on revving.  

However, if enough oil is being burnt that can also make clouds of white-looking smoke. It's important not to run the engine until you find out which it is just in case it is burning oil from the intake which could cause it to 'run away' wrecking the engine.  I would take the lower intercooler hose off just to be sure and see how much oil comes out.  It is normal for a teaspoon or so to dribble out.  

My money is on split pipework or intercooler.  Have a close look the intercooler for any bulging or oil stains.  The vertical straps can corrode and break.  Sometimes they break at the back where you can't see them while staying intact at the front.  Check all the large hoses from the turbo, you might have to take some off because otherwise you might miss a split underneath out of sight which opens up under pressure.

I think it's just possible someone might have replaced the turbo mistakenly, so it could actually be your lucky day! Smile 

Front of intercooler looking a bit tired rusty and oil stained but with straps still in place - 

Back of intercooler!

Edited by T5 TDI - 08 Oct 19 at 11:04
2004 2.5 174
Henri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 19 at 11:04
I've got the intercooler off and all the pipes. Intercooler looks fairly new, pipes look OK too so can maybe be a oring leak on one of the pipes. After I rebuild the pump I'll put it all back together and do some tests. 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 19 at 11:58
No cam/crank related codes I suppose?  The fact the cam cover has been off is interesting, it takes a lot of effort on a 2.5 and there aren't that many good reasons to do it.   A camshaft check or new camshaft  is quite a good reason though so if they have changed the cam they often get the valve timing wrong which usually leads to a non-start but it depends on what they did.  If they didn't use the correct tools on this particular engine they will get it wrong!

Don't worry about the 'engine start blocked by immobiliser' code.  It's quite common on older VW's and not related to your problem.  If you try and use a non-chipped surf key for instance it's enough to cause it.  The immob system is set to be paranoid, if it it sees any minuscule thing anywhere on the system it doesn't like/understand it will cause that code. 

Edit- If you haven't already done it, run it without the front pipe connected in case of blocked exhaust or cat.             

Edited by T5 TDI - 08 Oct 19 at 12:24
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply