The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t5 1.9 85ps.no lowdown pull.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 174 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t5 1.9 85ps.no lowdown pull.
    Posted: 23 Jan 17 at 23:38
SmileWinkSmilehi to all.i have recently bought this van and have noticed it does not to pull from the bottom as well as my previous 04 85 ps one .this one which is a 08 85 ps version and the turbo or pull doesent seem to happen until just under 2000 rpm then it starts pulling.my 04 van seemed to pul straight from the bottom but not have so much effect at higher rpm.which worked better having grunt at the lower rpm range.are these engines set up different ...any help appreciated as its no joy to drive...ConfusedConfusedConfused

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 17 at 20:05
The 85 is not the tourquiest (new word) engine, in fact the few I've driven wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! Perhaps your old one had been chipped.
2004 2.5 174
174 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 174 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 17 at 22:34
SmileHI T5 TDI.thanks for your reply.i am aware of the low power of the 85 ps.but the two vans are so different .i expected the newer van to be as good.the old van was direct from miele when sold i would have thought that it was standard.the newer van has possibly had a harder life.i was told it had a new turbo fitted.not sure if it had or fitted properly. is it possible it could be a adjustment of the actuator ie spanner as opposed to mapping chip atc.Confusedlike i said earlier the old van seems to bring turbo in straight away.and the newer van is sluggish no guts at all if under 1800 rpm then it starts to pull...any ideas / thoughts appreciated.ConfusedConfusedConfused
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 17 at 23:09
Could the gearing in the newer van be different (ie higher) ?   That would explain weaker acceleration.  Manufacturers are always changing things to improve the "official" fuel consumption ratings (which rarely translates to real world driving).

Have you had the compression tested ?

If you have access to VCDS it might show some error codes, and it is possible to log requested vs actual boost levels.

My 2.5 lump doesn't start to pull until about 1,600 rpm, then by 1,800 it pulls properly.

Edited by gregozedobe - 26 Jan 17 at 09:39
174 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 174 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 17 at 23:16
HI GREGOZEDOBE,,,Smile.will get van plugged in and see what comes up ...i did notice at the top of the engine at the bulkhesd...it is definitely not the same as the older van... i believe this is the egr bits...thanksConfusedConfusedConfused
 Post Reply Post Reply