The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 transponder / fuel pump problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t21972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 transponder / fuel pump problems
    Posted: 16 Aug 12 at 22:49
Sat in the back of an AA wagon writing this.
I have a 99 T4 Caravelle 2.5 TDI ACV engine. Just drove to Ikea at Leeds no problem jumped back in the van and its a none starter. Turning over no problem just under a full tank of diesel but just won't start. Check both timing belts just In case & there fine, I suspect it's the immobiliser that's gone down on the pump. Im sure I have seen a get round for this. Can any one point me in the correct direction for a how to guide or any other suggestions what it could be????

Edited by t21972 - 16 Aug 12 at 22:51
Ian
dbug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

I Luv Glynwoods I do!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 12 at 00:02
Did it fire at all ?

One trick is to undo both battery terminals, touch the wires together then refit to battery, then try to start .

Don't ask me what it does but I know this has worked on Vw's in past that had immob issues
t21972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t21972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 12 at 00:06
hi yes the AA gave it a little sniff of easystart and fired but cut out just as quick so that tells me its not getting fuel.

Ian
t21972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t21972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 12 at 16:11
Update 

Tried the trick touching the battery wires together and no different. 
But did notice 2 more things, 1) I couldn't hear the fuel cut off switch clicking and 2) no heater plug lights. 
I put a live to the fuel cut off and it clicked turn the key and the van started. Now my problem is the glow plug warning light is only coming on for 1 second there for heaters not working and van takes excessive cranking to start  
Ian
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 17:03
Heater plug relay 109? 
t21972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t21972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 12 at 22:28
Hi Yardie

tried heater plug 109 and 103 ignition and still the same, the fault is only intermittent, suspected ignition switch so replaced and also tried different fuse board. Ermm 
Ian
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 12 at 19:18
Hi, did you get to the bottom of this because mine has just developed the exact same fault. Not started it for 2 weeks, came to fire it up and nothing. 
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 12 at 01:13
If the immobiliser in a T4 works the same as the ones in my T5 and Skoda, then without the correct transponder the engine will start and run normally, then cut out after approx 2 seconds and display a warning message/light.
t21972 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t21972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 12 at 12:48
Originally posted by adyjoad adyjoad wrote:

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this because mine has just developed the exact same fault. Not started it for 2 weeks, came to fire it up and nothing. 

Hi Ady 

Yes at last it was 2 fold 1st the big block connector thats you have to take the under tray off and is located at the bottom front of the engine when I unplugged it, it was very wet and possibley coursing shorts but further round the loom under the corrugated protection where the loom 1st secures to the bracket it had rubbed and bared about 7-8 wires and again when wet was shorting and under the corrugated outer protection it was very wet. 

Hope this helps 
Ian
adyjoad View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyjoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 12 at 20:58
Thanks for that. Read a really good thread on the T4 forum which tells in detail how to trace it.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68572

Found a broken wire half way along the engine loom so hopefully sorted (when I find my soldering iron)
 Post Reply Post Reply