The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

t4 syncro ??????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t4 syncro ??????
    Posted: 04 Aug 10 at 18:07
thinking aloud can you convert a t4 2wd to4wd using t4 syncro parts. i know how the t3`s are done and was wondering how much work was involved in doing a t4.
lee.
rogerthecat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
official aa mascot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 10 at 18:15
I have asked this question of Mr Baxter before now re doing it to a T3 when Mr Ghia was converting Dave Pickles camper to Syncro. I am sure he will correct me if I am mistaken but I am sure he said that it is much more a bolt on process than it is with a T3 and does not require, or requires minimal, fabrication and welding.
T3 Westy, T3 Syncro (the ScoobyVelle), New Beetle Cab, 2 x Polos - I have too many projects
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 10 at 22:55
thanks paul. had a feeling that they wouldn`t make a specific body for the syncro but i`ve never had a chance to see underneath one. the missus fancies a westy exclusive but unless i can syncro it she`s got no chance.LOL.

anyone else on here with a t4 syncro. 
Vanatee View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 11:55
I've recently bought a T4 syncro which I bought as a replacement for my beloved T3 camper which I've just sold  - I'd had for 11 years!

The T4 is more practical for my current needs - a 2.5 tdi (102bhp) twin slider kombi! Was fab in the snow earlier in the year.

Hatching plans & started collecting parts for it! 
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 19:42
Do they still run a centre vc and 1 or 2 diff locks. I'm feeling the need to know more about them.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 10 at 22:11
Not as good as a T3 off road but can be messed with to improve things.
No under body protection.
Extra bit on the back of the gearbox, bit like a golf syncro.
prop, then the VC is just infront of the rear diff.
As far as i know only rear diff lock.
I think most holes are there ready to accept prop, diff etc.
Wiring looks minimal.
Obviously exhaust is different.
Something I have also been considering.

If the bits pop up at the right price I'll do my Special X
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 15:36
thanks sime thought you`d have seen a few. need to speek to you about the spring platforms too. if you`re busy monday i`ll send you an e-mail.

cheers lee.
robinbowes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinbowes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 20:29
Me wants one (T4 Syncro). They seem to be fairly rare.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 22:46
British Gas used them, or transco, or whatever they are called this week.
Sky news used some petrol caravelles, a few of those knocking about.
They are out there, they pop up in the trader more often than e-bay.

robinbowes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinbowes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 10 at 22:56
Thanks for the heads up.

Trader search is crap though - can't save a search and get notified unless the search returns at least one result :rollseyes:

Will keep a look out.

Cheers,

R.
andyluffs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyluffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 21:20
Looking at mine I don't think there's any extra electrics involved, only the rear has difflocks and that's vac operated.

I think the undertray is different too, mines missing. as a result I twatted the sump which is now leaking Cry

oh and you'll need an alternative location for the spare wheel.
FIGHT APATHY! I would but I just can't be arsed

http://www.rmctf.org.uk/
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 22:06
There is a vent in the front bumper and a corresponding vent in the shit pan.
andyluffs View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyluffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 10 at 15:21
What's that vent for anyway? I was wondering as I washed it yesterday. 
FIGHT APATHY! I would but I just can't be arsed

http://www.rmctf.org.uk/
vannin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vannin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 10 at 07:33
I know this is an old thread but what is the front vent for?
Any info/pics on modding one to make it semi decent off road?
Any home made tyre carrier info?
Nik
syncrodoug View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syncrodoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 11 at 16:35
It's rumoured that the front vent is for gearbox cooling!
Thecrash View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thecrash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 11 at 23:44
There's a t4 syncro van on e bay at the moment got a couple of days left on it bidding at £1220 at the moment.
Life is an aimless drive that you take alone, might as well enjoy the ride, take the long way home
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 20:17
I got one so if you need any pics shout up.

The diff casing looks virtually identical to a golf 4motion haldex diff, but with a viscous coupling. No wiring, purely mechanical. Diff lock is vacuum operated, only wiring would in the cab for the light and warning buzzer. There's an extra bit under the dash, when you pull the knob (ooh err) it sends vacuum to the diff and locks in the diff lock mech. Yellow light comes on indicating this. You get a warning bong over 30mph. Push knob back in to turn it off.

Diff lock on rear diff only. Some have ABS too. Diff mounts are just 2 box sections across the rear floor between the chassis legs, pretty sure rear arms are the same as a 2wd.

As Baxter says, gearbox has a transfer box on it to provide drive to the prop. Prop has a centre bearing and cv joint and a third of the way down it's length.
Gear ratios are also shorter. I never used to use 1st on mine until I fitted the bigger Tyres.

Vent in bumper is in line with a hole in the bell housing, so my guess is for clutch cooling.

Edited by Phatty - 06 Jan 11 at 20:21
Phatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 20:23
Whoring opportunity seized :-D

Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 21:48
There was some cool ones in Germany at the 25 years of syncro do, looked ace, few with shorter bumpers to improve approach angle.
I'll see if i can fins some pics.
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 11 at 23:39
I spoke to one of those chaps. The guy with the white one. He'd done saome amazing work on the underside. Full length ally skid plate, long range fuel tank and a whole host of other reaslly well thought out and executed mods.

Saw him out and about too and it was performing very well indeed!
Alan Hayes - Campervan Culture
e:al@campervanculture.com
m: 07967 010140

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>