The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 - London LEZ £100 per day!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simbasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 - London LEZ £100 per day!
    Posted: 12 Dec 08 at 16:44

I’ve got a 1.9 Turbo Diesel T4 Transporter campervan, SWB.

Can anyone tell me which line in the weights section in my handbook relates to my van? I’m assuming it’s the section titled ‘Kombi’ for Transporters, 2920 wheelbase for standard wheelbase vans and the ‘50 and 62 kW’ column? (2575kg Permissable GVW, 1580kg Unladen weight, 995kg payload.)

I’m asking because I have something I really need your ideas on ( you might want to make a cup of tea and find a comfy seat before you read any further) – Anyone else out there living in London and pondering the future effects of the Low Emission Zone on the enjoyment of their camper?

From October 2010, as things stand at the moment, it will cost me £100 per day to drive my van in LondonCensored. I’m trying to get it re-registered as exempt from the charge but I'm having some trouble.

Problem is, Transport for London look at the age, engine size and Gross Vehicle Weight. Motorhomes/campervans under 2.5 tonnes GVW are exempt and this is what I am trying to contest. TFL are looking at what the van was originally designed for (as a commercial goods carrying van) and they have my Gross Vehicle Weight recorded as 2575 Kg (through the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders I think) so 75 kg over their relevant weight. I’m trying to argue that the van has been converted to a campervan, is registered as such with the DVLA and is not now capable of, or intended for, holding a tonne of goods in the back.

I have no weights on the vans ID plate.

DVLA has no weights registered for my van as they only do so above 3 tonnes I believe.

My old MOT certificates have N/A in the ‘If it is a goods vehicle, state the maximum design gross weight’ section.

VW tell me they don’t keep records prior to 1997 – my van is a 1996.

So I’m going round in circles trying to get a new campervan weight registered with the DVLA so TFL will accept it. TFL will not accept me going to a VOSA weigh station and giving them an unladen weight.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can either convince TFL that a campervan surely shouldn’t be recorded as having a commercial goods van’s GVW, or how to get an amended weight registered that is below 2.5 tonnes?

TFL have asked for a photo of the vans ID plate and the relevant pages from the handbook and I know they are just going to say – that’s 75 Kg over, £100 please.

Please tell me I’m missing something obvious?

There will be other options, such as a new engine, but…

And no, "move out of London ya fool!" is not the sort of advice I can do anything with, but would be a fair comment.

If anyone’s interested/worried, check it out: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/default.aspx

Southern Ape View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southern Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 08 at 21:26
Not sure i understand all of what your on about but if you want a weight for your vehicle how about taking the van to a weigh station and getting a weight for it. If the police are happy to do spot checks on vehicle and use these weights to prosecute for overloading they might except it. Sorry if you mean you want the weight it can carry and this is all useless.

Good luck with it mate and whatever you do don't sell the van it's easy worth a £100 a day.
We are all just big monkeys
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 08 at 21:59
 dont know if its possible to get it 'replated' ? let me explain................

mate bought a hoooooge yank camper with gross weight of 7.75t , 0.25t over his licence allows. (it is 5 and a bit tonne unladen) . had it replated(legally) to 7.5t and had log book altered accordingly by dvla. if he gets pulled hes legal as long as hes not overweight.

if yours is non commercial , or you know it wont be used to carry near the max could you do this?
  was quite simple , all done on paper and no test etc involved.£60+dvla fees IIRC.

Edited by ELVIS - 21 Dec 08 at 22:10
simbasmith View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simbasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 08 at 10:42
Thanks for the idea, I'll be looking into it as soon as I can as there's got to be some way round this problem.
If I'm succesfull I'll be sure to inform everyone how to go about it.
Astrocharger View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrocharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 09 at 16:05
I'm also in London.. any news on this? Is yours a LWB T4? I'm in a SWB T4 so that might make the difference.. be very interested to know how you got in..

charlie
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrocharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 09 at 16:06
Thats embarrassing!!

Note To Self: Read Post Before Replying
charlie
simbasmith View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simbasmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 09 at 16:15
Well, looks like Boris Johnson has let us off the hook for now.
It'll be confirmed in September...I hope.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astrocharger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 09 at 16:57
Nice one Bozza.. no doubt he'll be having our pants down in the long run over this though.. it seems hes only stalling.. we shall see..
charlie
 Post Reply Post Reply