The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 westfalia weekender

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 westfalia weekender
    Posted: 26 Aug 10 at 23:10
Good evening!

I am new on the forums and need some advice. I am looking to buy a T3 Wesfalia diesel and I've been looking into the different interiors. Because I want to use the van also to carry people and loads I think the Weekender interiors would suit my needs best. But I have a few specific questions regard the different interior configurations and options.

Does anybody know of any links or resources specifically for the weekender interior?

Apart from the visually very obvious what are the subtle differences between the normal full on camper interior and the weekend interior?

Can I assume that the outboard rear seats on the weekender can be fitted with 3 point belts (and the centre with a lap belt)?

Can the rear facing seat behind a LHD drivers seat be fitted with a 3 point belt?

I have seen some weekender interiors with the rear cupboard installed (behind) the left rear seat. Was this an option. If not can a genuine Westfalia cupboard be made to fit?

Were there any cupboard or unit options behind the passangiers front seat (LHD)?

Can the weekender be retrofitted with captain seats?

Is the weekender pop-top offer 2 beds for the kids like the full-on interior?

My main objection to the standard Westy interior is that the stove/basin fridge looks very cramped and I know we would prefer to cook outside. With the weekender interior I assume I could quite easily remove the rear facing seat in order to carry large loads.

I would be interested to hear any other comment our experiences. Downsides and upsides of both interiors.

Thanks,

Stuart

james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 00:25
http://www.camperinterior.webfotos.co.uk/html/camper_interior_westfalia_T3_.html

Weekenders or Multivans as there known on this side of the water, had quite few options for the interiors, you could have overhead lockers and side wardrobes and a removable kitchen block which sits behind the passenger seat. 

The pop top is the same as the full camper.

If your lucky it'll come with swivel seats, but they can be easily fitted if not.  The buddy seat is easily removed, just 4 bolts.

Kits are available  from Brickwerks for 3 points seat belts for the back, I've not seen one for the buddy seat, not as important as it's rear facing.

Someone on here has a website with all the original brochures showing the various options, I 'll try and find it and post a link.

They are very versatile vans,  and with the back seats down will carry quite a sizeable load, loads of space when camping too,and as you say we always cook outside too
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
MacAdiane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacAdiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 00:37
Never heard much about weekenders in the T3 Westfalia range. I spend perhaps too much time on French forums where most of the westies are Californias, Jokers and Multivans. Some multivans did come out of the factory equipped with a pop top but are no so common and perhaps more difficult to find.

As far as furniture is concerned anything can be manufactured but you should probably look for a suitable vehicule first and plan this a bit later. 

Try searching mobile.de. There is usually a good range of choice of westies at a reasonable price, and the import procedure is very easy in this country. And yes, you can fit three point belts if you so wish.

This type of furniture which would be suitable for your needs is still available from Gunzl...

click

Edited by MacAdiane - 27 Aug 10 at 00:41
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 18:19
Originally posted by james72 james72 wrote:

http://www.camperinterior.webfotos.co.uk/html/camper_interior_westfalia_T3_.html

Weekenders or Multivans as there known on this side of the water, had quite few options for the interiors, you could have overhead lockers and side wardrobes and a removable kitchen block which sits behind the passenger seat. 

The pop top is the same as the full camper.

If your lucky it'll come with swivel seats, but they can be easily fitted if not.  The buddy seat is easily removed, just 4 bolts.

Kits are available  from Brickwerks for 3 points seat belts for the back, I've not seen one for the buddy seat, not as important as it's rear facing.

Someone on here has a website with all the original brochures showing the various options, I 'll try and find it and post a link.

They are very versatile vans,  and with the back seats down will carry quite a sizeable load, loads of space when camping too,and as you say we always cook outside too

Thanks for the info. The link didn't work directly but I managed to get to the site. Excellent resource. Yes, fairly set now on a weekender interior. A custom built cooking block on some kinda hinge would suit me.
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 18:22
Originally posted by MacAdiane MacAdiane wrote:

Never heard much about weekenders in the T3 Westfalia range. I spend perhaps too much time on French forums where most of the westies are Californias, Jokers and Multivans. Some multivans did come out of the factory equipped with a pop top but are no so common and perhaps more difficult to find.

As far as furniture is concerned anything can be manufactured but you should probably look for a suitable vehicule first and plan this a bit later. 

Try searching mobile.de. There is usually a good range of choice of westies at a reasonable price, and the import procedure is very easy in this country. And yes, you can fit three point belts if you so wish.

This type of furniture which would be suitable for your needs is still available from Gunzl...

click

Thanks for the link. I'm based in Holland so importing a Westy from Germany would be easy for me. Except I haven't seen many weekenders. I think they my be more popular in the states / UK.
MacAdiane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacAdiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 18:53
Originally posted by tram-man tram-man wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm based in Holland so importing a Westy from Germany would be easy for me. Except I haven't seen many weekenders. I think they my be more popular in the states / UK.

And stop calling those weekenders. It is a bit of terminology that is'nt used very much, and you'll just confuse those who are trying to help you.
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 20:10
So actually they are not Westfalias at all then?

Did Westfalia make them?

On mobile.de I've been searching using Westfalia terminology with not much coming up.
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 20:35
They are Westfalia Vans, the correct name is Westfalia Multivan, Weekender is what they were called in the States I think.

They have there own category in the drop down menu on mobile.de.  VW then T3 multivan and bobs ya uncle.

T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 20:52

And stop calling those weekenders. It is a bit of terminology that is'nt used very much, and you'll just confuse those who are trying to help you.

thats just a Whitestar with a Reimo roof and some Reimo Cupboards???

I have heard of Westfalia Weekenders and as I understand it theyre Multivans which were specced with pop up roof from conception... so they have the westy roof pressing with a multivan interior

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 21:25
OK folks, it's a little clearer....

I will be expanding my terminology to search for what I want. I've got twentyfive years of VAG behind me and if I'm confused then I'm sure some sellers are aswell.

One other question I have is the front part of the roof which is above the drivers area. I have seen 2 designs; one with a recess together with strap eyes and another design which is open in the front with 2 side 'butresses'. Both complete the silhouette in side view but I wonder why the first design was changed.

Stuart

Edited by tram-man - 27 Aug 10 at 21:28
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 21:35
later design a little more aerodynamic maybe, but also allowed for a sunroof to be fitted at the expense of the luggage rack

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

MacAdiane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacAdiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 22:11
Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

thats just a Whitestar with a Reimo roof and some Reimo Cupboards???
Dead

Oh dear...you are correct. In my hurry to get things clearer, I quickly posted the link without even looking.
Serves me right for being a smart arse.

Havent dug too much on the US market ...different terminology across the pond as well.

But that's what we are looking for here...a Multivan...
"Swimming pools"LOL or luggage racks on top of the cabin are a pain. They get filled up 3 month of the year with snow over here. the bloody white stuff freezes in there and the van becomes top heavy. 
If you use it in Holland, it might be useful.

Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 22:19

but with a factory pop top?

thats my understanding of a "weekender"

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 22:25
Sunroof was an option then? Not essential but nice to have of course.

Thanks for all the help. One last observation with regards to the interior is that the Multivan seems very 'OEM'. In other words the trim and seats kinda look VW factory quality and not Westfalia quality. I wonder if VW actually made all the Multivans including roof and they were sold (distributed) through the Westfalia sales / dealership.

Just a thought...

Edited by tram-man - 27 Aug 10 at 22:26
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 22:30

If your looking for a pop top then search using "Aufstelldach" or "Aufstd"  there's a few on mobile.de.  Here's a nice one click

T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 22:44
Yep, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Power steering, engine pre-heater. Diesel donor.

Any idea what year they started making the Multivans with pop-tops? Due to Dutch road tax policy it would be worth my while locating a pre 87 model.
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 10 at 23:32
Multivans started in 1985, I think pop top was available from day one, the one in the link is a Magnum edition and was the only special edition to have the pop top option, the later Bluestar and Whitestar vans were tin top only.  The special edition vans had a better level of trim.

Weekender new I'd seen it somewhere. Lots of Multivan brochures on the vwpix site also
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
MacAdiane View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacAdiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 10 at 00:18

Originally posted by Tee3 Tee3 wrote:

but with a factory pop top?

thats my understanding of a "weekender"

ok,ok...dont hit the head will you...LOL

The guys on T3Zone refer to those as multivans ..................with a factory pop top. Hence the lack of info from my part. 

tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 10 at 00:33
OK, so I'm after a LHD 1985 /1986 VW Multivan with pop-top. Preferably Magnum edition. Diesel.

Hmmm, Sounding a bit too specific.

As an alternative, a 1981 - 1986 Westfalia pop-top to convert with a Multivan interior.

Well, at least I don't need it next week.
james72 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 10 at 01:16
Originally posted by tram-man tram-man wrote:

OK, so I'm after a LHD 1985 /1986 VW Multivan with pop-top. Preferably Magnum edition. Diesel.

Hmmm, Sounding a bit too specific.

As an alternative, a 1981 - 1986 Westfalia pop-top to convert with a Multivan interior.

Well, at least I don't need it next week.

Oh Magnum's didn't come out until 1987!
T3 Multivan 3.0 H6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>