The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - T3 Syncro (Vanagon) Rear Shock Absorber Alternativ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Syncro (Vanagon) Rear Shock Absorber Alternativ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squareblau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 Syncro (Vanagon) Rear Shock Absorber Alternativ
    Posted: 28 Jul 14 at 10:34
I thought that this was worth copying and pasting (posted by MG) due to the content.

T3 Syncro Rear Shock Absorber Alternative:

An easy swap over for the rear of the T3 Syncro is from the LandRover Discovery 2 (1998-2004).
The standard rear shock absorber is almost identical to the standard rear sock absorbers fitted to the T3 Syncro.
They both have the same overall length, compressed and open.
They both have a similar outer diameters.
They both use M12 bolts to fit although the Disco 2 mounting tube is 1mm longer than the T3 Syncro so you have to open the mounting flange a little, not hard to do.
I've been running the Pedders 9503 on Limey for a while now as have other Syncro owners. Other friends have bought stock length cheap Disco 2 rear shocks from eBay (these can be as cheap as £40 for a pair!) and had very good results.
Another very good bit of news is that you can buy +2 (that's 2 inches longer than stock) off the shelf as well. Terra Firma offer these for as little as £35 each new) so you can see that the cost is vastly different from what is available within the Syncro market at present.
There is more! If you're going all out, you can buy +3, +4 and +5 rear shocks for the Disco 2 again off the shelf!!
The damping rate is very similar to the T3 and with such a large range of rear shock absorbers on the market for the Disco 2, you're sure to find something that you're happy with.
As people cotton on to this info, I hope that you will report back with your findings as to what is good/bad etc.
Oh, just in case someone asks, the damping rates were compared by the technical boffins at Pedders R&D in Australia to a stock Syncro rear shock absorber that I sent over for testing... so it's not just me saying 'yeah they'll fit mate!'
One word of warning...
If you put longer rear shock absorbers on, your rear CV joints will be able to move further than they were designed to by VW. I would suggest that if you want to go +2, you fit Porsche 944 CV joints (which have more travel but may not be any stronger than standard) or upgrade to 108mm CV joints as fitted to the Syncro 16.

Dave

Edited by squareblau - 28 Jul 14 at 18:11
'89 Pickup (Syncro-ish, don't ask!;-)) had EJ22 scooby power till I broke it, soon to be EJ25 propelled
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 14 at 17:34
nice observation that!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply