Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3 Diesel Rev Counter Needle Shenanigans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T3 Diesel Rev Counter Needle Shenanigans
    Posted: 26 Jan 21 at 14:44

Anybody know why my rev counter immediately pegs to the stop when the ignition it switched on?

Turn ignition on, rev counter needle goes all the way around to the top, and stays there until switch off!

Wiring and connections at the alternator are all good.  Disconnecting the W and/or the B terminals makes no difference at all! 

Edited by Chappy - 03 Feb 21 at 14:53
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 21 at 14:49
Ignition off:

Ignition on:

Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 21 at 14:53
No takers out there peeps?

It's got me stumped!

Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 21 at 20:48
I would think it's either the alternator at fault or the exciter wire shorting with the Rev counter wire
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 21 at 08:42
Originally posted by Timjburrows Timjburrows wrote:

I would think it's either the alternator at fault or the exciter wire shorting with the Rev counter wire

Missed this response Tim! 

So, can you explain a little further? When you say alt at fault, do you mean dodgy W terminal?

An the exciter wire? Help me understand what that is?

Cheers fella,
Chappy
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 21 at 21:24
not an expert but the red/black wire and blue both go to the alternator,could be shorting together,power down the blue to excite the alternator when the ign is switched on going straight back to the Rev counter.or some failed inside the alternator causing the same thing to happen,may be
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 21 at 15:28
Well, after a total of 42 jobs completed on this van - everything from headlamp and rad at the front to number plate light at the rear, and a fair few jobs in-between....... the van had to go for MOT, and then back to my niece down West.  The rev counter remains unsolved... for now!

It'll be back to Chappy's chop shop for a new pop top canvas and an eberspacher install so I'll no doubt have another crack at it then!

I'll report back on progress (or lack off!)
 Post Reply Post Reply