The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Syncro upper wishbone bushes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Syncro upper wishbone bushes
    Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:19
Having new (brickwerks) upper wishbone bushes fitted but garage doing works having serious difficulties fitting them.

I've advised them of methods on 80-90 (1. put wishbone in vice and whack in using lump hammer with piece of wood to protect. 2. wind in using vice and section of scaffold tube.)

They have a press but say having trouble getting bush started to press it in..(?) and that it seems to need pulling in somehow - (?)

Anyone any tips please which I can pass on tomorrow?
(wish I lived oop north or devon where expert syncro repairers reside...Ouch)

Edited by Reco - 25 Mar 13 at 22:20
92 syncro rhd 2.1 pop-top
90 syncro rhd aaz pick up
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:26
Have you painted the wish bones? They don't like any paint in the hole. If not the big socket and a press works a treat.
I taste Hurty!
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:29
No not painted....and assuming they've cleaned and copper slipped holes - they must have surely  but will see tomorrow! 
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:32
They might have burred the lip and it's just snagging.
I taste Hurty!
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:38
Thanks Gtavalanche - I'll check for that as well but surely they'd notice.
Say they have been at it some while and 'rubber sticking out preventing it starting' or something like that.  Does this sound like they are trying to fit bushes with wishbone arm in situ.....Confused
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:41
Rubber sticking out? That sounds random.
I taste Hurty!
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 22:50
Yeah - I could have misheard him.
something about rubber not letting it go in...dread to think whats happening.
Looked reasonably simple when I looked at 80-90 methods - almost tempted to try it myself!

Never simple, getting tired of this, maybe time to sell it.....
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 23:00
Just done some...no rubber at all and the end is tapered so it starts easy! It is a tight fit however...I rammed a inch flap wheel into the hole to hone it a smidgen then used a vice to pushing in the arm...a few clouts on the jaws with a Thor to seat the bush fully..
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 23:42
Thanks Maxandcaddy - I'll add to listof things to check/try...
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 13 at 14:54
Visited first thing yesterday with few tips gleaned from here and 80-90 to be told 'he's made up a tool to sort of pull them through and finished one side so all going ok now'

So I've just phoned garage afterwaiting for them to call to be told ' oh yes mate,
 finished it late last night - sorry forgot to phone'

I just know theres a problem, as well a massive bill Ouch.

Anyone have an idea how long this should take? - replace upper wishbone bushes plus the lower track control arm bushes (the big fat ones) both sides.

I guessed about 4-5 hours - but no real idea.........
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 13 at 15:04
Depends if you're fitting polybushes, decent rubber bushes or cheap just kampers ones. The poly bushes take five seconds. Brickwers ones are supposed to go in Ikea with the correct technique. Just kampers ones will deform, get stuck tear just generally be an absolute Twat.
As for the wishbone bushes they shouldn't take long at all. 30 mins a side max.
I taste Hurty!
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 13 at 15:06
all brickwerks bushes......
( - Ikea??)
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 13 at 21:49
Just for completeness - they charged me 5 hours

(" not charged the full time it took but tbh this is a bit 'old skool' to what he's used to so took longer due to some inexperience on his part")

Hmmmm.
Still, all seems ok, runs quiet and nothing appears mullered so all's well that ends well......Stern Smile
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 13 at 22:32
Glad you got it sorted.

When I said IKEA I meant easy! Damn auto correct!
I taste Hurty!
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 13 at 16:15
Ah - agree auto correct can be a pain in the arts!
Hey just noticed - you running a syncro around ipswich?
I'm about 10 miles outside
Where do you get works done - or do it all yourself?
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 13 at 16:19
I wish! Mines two wheel drive unfortunately. I'm waiting untill in a real grown up to get a syncro. (Read not paying for 3 kids).
I taste Hurty!
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 13 at 23:07
There is this for 2WD, but it doesn't work on syncro.

For the syncro we cut the part of the bush that protrudes from the arm in 4 places and peel it open, then whack the guts out just leaving the outer metal sleeve left in the arm.
We then hacksaw through the sleeve to release the pressure then just tap them out.
We press them back in using the tool we had made in the video above.
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 13 at 18:00
ffs - how easy was that when you know how!
great vid and helpful notes - nice one boss Thumbs Up
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 13 at 23:12
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

..I rammed a inch flap wheel into the hole to hone it a smidgen then ..a few clouts on the jaws with a Thor to seat the bush fully..

The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
 Post Reply Post Reply