Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Syncro Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 08 at 12:45
Small update, pics of the unfinished roof..

And a bit of a look at things to come...
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
Syncost Alot. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
horns apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncost Alot. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 08 at 15:51
Looking good, Are they LT mirrors?
SyncroSpares UK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 08 at 22:16
yes.
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 08 at 10:01
They are o.k, but sit at a bit of an angle.

Thanks to RS2Camper for his getting my Eberspatcher heater working again - top man thanks buddy!

Roof now on & secure, just need the frame, to cut the correct size hole, and fit the canvas.
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 08 at 11:28
tried to open the drivers quarter window yetErmm
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 08 at 19:05
Yes. both quarters open perfectly.
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 08 at 09:14
ah i see someones moved the drivers mirror into african elephant mode,Smile 
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 09 at 14:43
Let there be light!!!
Fitted xenon bulbs today, fcuking cold outside but worth it, litterally brilliant result! Rewired the front fog lamps too as these were (as usual) bodged to the main beam. Used the same kit that i have on my motorbike, very slim resistors etc, and decent gear, works well.

I'll wait for the onslaught from the "illegal, inconsiderate to others etc" brigade LOL. Truth is i will now be able to see much better at night.
Syncro G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncro G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 18:34
Have you fitted front fogs since the last pictures?  The square lamps in the grill are spot/driving lights not front fogs so should work with main beam (though I'd agree if it left the factory with round lamps they probubly are horendously bodged in!).

Originally posted by Cliffbase Cliffbase wrote:

I'll wait for the onslaught from the "illegal, inconsiderate to others etc" brigade LOL. Truth is i will now be able to see much better at night.

Can we have a photo showing the beam patterns?  Do they actully shine brighter down the road or just alot infront of the car making them seem brighter?  The light sorces designs between H4 and HID are quite different so I don't see how they can produice the same effect, which probubly has downsides somewhere.  Do both low and high paterns come from the same lamp, if so how does it select beams as HID capsuals are all single source I think (and don't like being turned on and off, slow to warm up). 

Take that as a genral interest question rather than having a go, you've clearly made your mind up, which is fine if it doesn't destress other road users.  I like mods if they work but I'm skeptical of HID conversion performance based on a technical level, so interested to see results in T3 optics based on actual experiance.
Glen

92 JX Syncro van

94 1Y Golf Ecomatic (work transport/emergency engine donor)
97 AAZ golf (scrapper)
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 19:07
[QUOTE=Syncro G]Have you fitted front fogs since the last pictures?  The square lamps in the grill are spot/driving lights not front fogs so should work with main beam (though I'd agree if it left the factory with round lamps they probubly are horendously bodged in!).

None of the vans i've owned have had an additional switch for "spot lamps", if they are suppsed to come on with main beam, how can they be spot/driving lamps? how would you operate them other than on full beam? Why does your fog lamp have 2 positions do you think?

O.K beam patterns, sorry but these are some very quick pics, the first shows Drivers side (LHD) dipped beam

And close up - please note, i have not set the aim up properly yet

Full beam

and the van

I use my van alot at night, and yes i can see the road ahead brighter and clearer, no one has flashed me yet, although as i say i have yet to align the headlamps.
The full beam works by the bulb unit moving back about 7mm therefore away from the deflector thing.

The beam pattern is like that of any xenon headlamp, quite flat. They illuminate further than the original bulbs.
The lamps take about 5 seconds to warm up, and the "flash" function works fine.

Syncro G, no worries with your questions bud, too be fair, they work for me, on my bike as well as my van, and i'm not really worried if they "distress" other road users or not!LOL

They are, without doubt a massive improvement on the lights fitted to this van, i cant comment on other peoples naturally.
lee. View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 19:53
cliffbase is the hid conversion for dip and main beams. i have hids on my mazda but only on dip beam the light is great but its very disapointing when i use main beam as there std bulbs.

lee.
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 20:03
I would suggest that your Mazda has H7 bulbs then, i.e one bulb for dipped and another for main beam. With H4's the bulb is a twin filament so both dipped and full beam are in the same bulb. You would ideally need another set for the full beam bulbs.

What i have fitted is a unit that works on the same principle but moves the "bulb" when full beam is selected, the bulb is then not so covered by the deflector and hey presto, mucho illumination! The kit has a relay, twin ballast resitors and decent connections, fues holders etc & works well (so far!)
RS2CAMPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS2CAMPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 23:12
Looks great to me and hopfully will stop the light switch from burning out now it has less current going through it.
Pattern looks ok from the pictures did you just use the wall to set them up?

As for the inner lights they should be fog lights as they opperate on the fog light switch and can be turned on with side lights, same as my old Passat GL5 injection.
Syncro G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncro G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 23:15
Originally posted by RS2CAMPER RS2CAMPER wrote:

As for the inner lights they should be fog lights as they opperate on the fog light switch and can be turned on with side lights, same as my old Passat GL5 injection.

NOT TRUE!  Some VW's like golf mk1's have used the inner lamps as fogs or spots depending on spec (different lamp units, same mounting place) but on the T3 the inner square set was only ever a spot lamp and wired direct to main beam.  They are probubly too high to be foglamps legally anyway (and they are definately too high to be useful in fog, thats why I got foglamps, keep it out the ditch on the moors!).  The factory foglamps were rectangular lamps on little brackets and sit just above the front bumper rather like a bolt on after thort (and they are quite good in fog!); you might even have the plugs for them behind the grill, its specally designed so it WONT fit on the spots! 

All but the latest cars with HID tend to have HID low beam and seperate halogen high which as you say with your Mazda means main can be disapointing, low stays on with it.  Route of the problem is HID doesn't like starting up and can't cope with being turned on and off alot, certainly not like a main beam halogen does.  Current posh cars like audis have "Bi Zenon" which despite the name is single source for both beams which always runs at a constant brightness, behind the projector style lens a selonoid controls a shutter to remove the low beam cutout, sometimes with a setting for continental driving so you don't need stickers.  Never seen one of these shutter things in action but it sounds interesting.  For daytime flashing they sometimes have a seperate halogen bulb to get round HID startup issues.  Quite clever stuff and getting better all the time as very new cars change beam deapth, width and angle depending on speed and cornering! - Fitting one of them to a van will be fun but one day???
Glen

92 JX Syncro van

94 1Y Golf Ecomatic (work transport/emergency engine donor)
97 AAZ golf (scrapper)
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 09 at 15:43

Some pics of playing out in the snow... Great fun in the van and on the bikes!

And the BBQ & hot tea for lunch!
And towing out my mates stuck van!

Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 08:18
Well some more updates, started the engine change this week, stripped out the 1Z from the golf - really a crying shame coz the golf was a great car!!

Stripped out the wiring, ecu, dash, throttle pot etc. Interestingly, this 95 golf has no ignition immobliliser, which makes things a little simpler..
Then took out the JX with gearbox from the Syncro.

Which left a big hole!

The gearbox mounting bolts are a pain in the @rse and renownd for snapping, ive noticed a small noise when pulling away in 2wd. One of the mounts had a snapped bolt, and the other was loose although the bolts would not move!

I took the opportunity to get them out (only 1 came out), and drilled, and cut new threads, a real pain in the neck, but at least its done now. To be happy in my own mind, i will just add a tack weld on the front & rear edges once ive refitted the plates.
Lots to do, will keep you updated...

Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 09:02
check the tank straps now whilst the motor-box is out,cj.
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 09:45
Wink
Thanks CJ, will do, also got my waxoil/underseal at the ready..Thumbs Up
t3monkey boy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3monkey boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 11:31
Nice work Cliff, would love a syncro too oneday, how many vans now mate? Have you still got my old one?
www.carsandhistory.com
Got a nice Subaru powered Club Joker.
Nick 07766310652
Email:nickholby2003@yahoo.co.uk
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 13:11
Hey Nick, hows you & the family?

2 vans, traded your old one, to a mate who is planning to finish what i started - the tailgate from that one with the VOLKSWAGEN welded in is now on the Syncro. The westy is in the paintshop as we speak, but sadly it looks like im going to have to sell it reasonably soon due to finance pressures/work etc. Will be a real shame as new paint, new engine etc, and have already spent more than its worth as was planning on keeping it Cry

Karma i guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>