Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Syncro Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Syncro Update
    Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 17:55
Evening all,

Collected my first syncro yesterday, so please prepare yourselfs for silly questions.
Firstly i should say - Mr Ghia, it will never be Limey, nor will it ever have such magnificent engineering as Limey, nor is it a homage or copy, but i'm afraid it does look lime Limey - sorry!!

O.k, here we go, i have a 1.6td (JX i think) standard Engine fitted dual lock syncro. I think it may have originally come from CJ.

When on full lock either left or right, forward or back, it struggles to move, i don't know if this is a diff issue or what? I have jacked up a corner, both back & front, and neither wheel will turn, which makes me think it could be a diff problem? Any ideas?!

Also do all 1.6td struggle to go up a gradual hill?!! i see an AAZ conversion comin on!

Thanks chaps.

Edited by Cliffbase - 19 Feb 09 at 08:09
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
SyncroSpares UK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 19:15
watcha,please paint it back to bamboo yellow,rather than the primer looking colour its in,it came from the german post office originally then through mercdoctor then me,and finally you have just described a vc gone bad,either replace the vc or the clever people will fit a decoupler and keep your stiff vc in place,and yes a AAZ will be a good mod,cj.
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 08 at 20:25
ha ha! Thanks CJ, its still very yellow inside, and at some point i will have to do something with the paint, as although form a distance it looks o.k, its been rollered!

Just can't go down the decoupler route as it seems daft having a synco to compromise it by making it 2wd most of the time.

Bugger bugger bum shit what sort of money is a VC? I'm quite handy but i think an overhaul of it would be too much for me.
vlux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
' Jeffy '

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vlux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 08:00
Quote Just can't go down the decoupler route as it seems daft having a synco to compromise it by making it 2wd most of the time.

Youve missed the point ever so slightly there, its probably the kindest thing you can do for your (very hard to get parts for) gearbox. Your VC is tight and thats going to be putting excessive strain on the entire drive train, gearbox, front diff, universal joints etc etc.
The only compromise was the one that VW made when they decided not to put the decoupler in as standard.
And i agree with CJ, please paint it yellow again!Smile
Alan Hayes - Campervan Culture
e:al@campervanculture.com
m: 07967 010140

WWW.CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 09:23
O.K, so ideally i would do the VC and a decoupler, or just the decoupler, and use my tight VC when needing 4wheel drive?

How much are they and where can you get them? I guess to keep using the van with a tight VC is not cool & the gang? Its fine on the straight, and on corners, its only on, nearly full lock.

Thanks for your help guys.
green manalishi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green manalishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 10:45
Here is the one as supplied by Busman.be.

and fitted

Most kits come with all the pipe work and switch for front.

And you use the vw wiring loom already on your van for the warning light. Vw really must have had a change of heart at the last minute to have had all syncro wiring looms have the decoupler circuit.

It's an easy fit with box in place, and transforms the slow speed driving enjoyment. 4 wheel drive can be engaged at any time, you sometimes have to release the throttle to allow engagement.

You will never ever notice that you are not in 4 wheel drive on normal roads, and you are extending the life of all those cv joints and gearbox parts, even servicing is easier, as you can spin wheels when jacked up.

The only fiddly bit is routing the vacuum pipes behind the diff lock panel, there is not much room in there.

simon.

1991 2.1 DJ 16" Factory Hightop camper
Syncro up View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncro up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 11:10

If you want to keep using the van in the mean time, just drop out the prop shaft and hey presto... 2wd

You can run like that for as long as you want and it wont be a problem.
Syncro G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syncro G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 14:03
Definately make it yellow again!  I wanted to buy that when it was on CJ's website, sold it before I got round to enquireing.  Sometimes wonder if mine would look that good in that colour, maybe one day (or is that copying?).
Glen

92 JX Syncro van

94 1Y Golf Ecomatic (work transport/emergency engine donor)
97 AAZ golf (scrapper)
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 14:24
Wow, thanks guys, loads of info. I'll have a look and see about one of those then.
Blimey the yellow is popular!!

Simon, mate you made a cracking job of fitting it, and cleaning up yoiur gearbox etc etc - then spoilt it all by showing a pic with "scotchlock" connections in it! Mate, take them out & give your van some proper connections!!

Thanks again guys, keep it coming!
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 20:48
CJ, do you do these decouplers?
Looking on both Busman.BE & GoWesty they are not cheap!

Cheers.
green manalishi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green manalishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 08 at 23:56
Originally posted by Cliffbase Cliffbase wrote:

Simon, mate you made a cracking job of fitting it, and cleaning up yoiur gearbox etc etc - then spoilt it all by showing a pic with "scotchlock" connections in it! Mate, take them out & give your van some proper connections!!

Thanks again guys, keep it coming!

I never use scotchblocks, those ones you can see were fitted by the Finnish Army to branch into the fan heater circuit for the Webasto. Now removed, although actually it was better quality than our British ones and had made a reasonable joint.
1991 2.1 DJ 16" Factory Hightop camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 08 at 08:50
i do get them,none at present,syncro services are better units than most and cheaper,cj.
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 08 at 16:25
Originally posted by Cliffbase Cliffbase wrote:

Evening all,

Collected my first syncro yesterday,

Hehehehe i have been drunk in your van loads of times LOL

jed
[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
Vanorak
Vanorak

T3 Undertaker.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSpares UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 08 at 16:28
when it was yellow not primer!!!!!!
jed the spread View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION
Bullshitter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jed the spread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 08 at 16:33
Of course. Ive had a little wee up the back of it too, more than once.

jed
[URL=http://www.whatatool.com[/URL]

My real name is Jarrod Walsh my number is 07940177101 or email Jed@campervanCulture.com for enquiries.
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 11:35
VC recon in stock here £440 exchange, be quick prices won't be going down, regards
Aidan
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 20:06
Thanks anyway Beaker, using Syncro Services.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 20:21
nnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyynnnnnnnnngggggggggg
Paint it yellow!
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 08 at 20:28
Alright, alright, it will be yellow again! Just let me get the decoupler fitted, the 1Z fitted, and the westy finished!!!

Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 08 at 18:51
Saw a byway calling me on the way home today........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>