The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Syncro renovation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Syncro renovation
    Posted: 22 Nov 13 at 22:54
Ive been the proud owner of my VW 1.6TD syncro for about 3 years now, but I've had very few chances to get much use out of it. I was very impressed with the grip while driving up a hill side covered in sheet ice.
Now in need of an mot having been sat for most of these 3 years and I find myself with plenty of work to do.
Lots of rust and holes which I guess is usual for a vehicle that is so good for winter driving on snow and ice and the UK road salt.

Removing front wheel arch

Rotten B pillar once rear of arch is removed

Rusty lower rear 1/4 Panel.

New brake pipes through out.

New stainless fuel tank straps fitted.

More photos to follow are work progresses.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 08:04
excellent!!  watching this Tim..
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 13 at 10:20
Power steering I see? Is it rhd? What is it exactly...pics are kinda close up!
youthy giblets View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youthy giblets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 21:22
LHD or twin slider? Is it getting the Tdi treatment Tim?

Edited by youthy giblets - 10 Dec 13 at 21:22
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 13 at 21:32
LHD with the full steel roof.
Yes tdi but not sure what to do about the gearbox. AHF ratios a rubbish for tdi even with taller tyres, so may end up fitting a UN7 set up from R enault 21 quadra. But this will loose the G gear option.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 13 at 08:58
Have you seen the synquat build on the samba. Some talented fella is fitting a counter clockwise 1.8t with quattro running gear. Again loses the g-gear though.
I taste Hurty!
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 13 at 16:16
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

LHD with the full steel roof.<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->
Yes tdi but not sure what to do about the gearbox. AHF ratios a rubbish for tdi even with taller tyres, so may end up fitting a UN7 set up from R enault 21 quadra. But this will loose the G gear option.

Your right, a standard AHF is not good with a tdi...ran mine like that for a week or two and whilst it was quite nippy on country lanes it was no good on motorways and bypasses...a syncro with no g gear sounds like a bad idea...without it off road use would be accompanied by a smell of burning clutch I reckon and could actually be dangerous..handy if you ever have a big trailer on the back as well as manoeuvring in g is a lot more relaxing than revving and juddering like in say a transit.

jes*b View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jes*b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 14 at 07:52
Gotta keep the g gear IMHO
Gtavalanche View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
"I'm learnding"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtavalanche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 14 at 07:56
or use the transmission from an A6 allroad with the low ratio option.
I taste Hurty!
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 14 at 20:56
The joy of the UN7 is that the front diff unit has diff lock but I guess that the Audi A6 stuff relies on ABS controlling spinning wheels. More technology to go wrong.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 13:51
To keep things up to date.
I decided to keep the syncro transmission but have taller gears fitted. So now have the taller std 2nd gear shafts and also the tallest 3rd and 4th gear sets fitted. I've change to 16" wheels with 215 70 16 General grabbers so hope to be able to cruise at 60mph without thrashing the engine to hard.

I also started cutting the rot out of the van ready for the MOT. I need to get things done here as my panel van is out of tax and mot at the end of the month and I want to replace it with the syncro for the winter.
Pictures to follow when I have time to up load.

90hp tdi engine ready to fit, but need to find a good solution to cooling the charge air with the syncro fuel tank in the way of my current solution.

Smile

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 20:10
Some photos of the work so far with the body.

I removed the lower section of the off side panel, behind sliding door. LHD to reveal some rust. No surprise there really. 

End closing panel rotton.

After a bit of cutting and grinding

New panels being made and offered up

Rebuilding the sill end closing panel

Weld through primer to slow the rust down on the new metal

Not sure what the box section was meant to look like in the C pillar as the bottom was completely rotten away. So I had a guess at what I thought should have been there.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 20:21
Then on to the rear corner of the bus. Looking toward the back on the off side. More rust and more holes.

Looking up at the panel located behind the off side rear light. More rust. Cry

After unpicking the panels I start to make up replacements in new metal.

And then on to fitting the new metal

New arch and outer panels fitted.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 14 at 20:35
Then on to the front off side jacking point and B pillar.

Cutting off the front of the off side out rigger to expose the jacking point and the end of the sill.

From under the van looking toward the front showing the rotten end of inner sill being removed.

Holes made from above to remove spot welds holding the inner sill to the floor.

Jacking point and front end of sill removed.

From the front looking toward the back

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
bene View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 14 at 10:03
Great pics and info... cheers!
keep up the good work.
andylen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andylen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 14 at 09:32
Well done Tim
Found your build at last.
Will start putting mine on this weekend

VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 14 at 09:45
I will get some more picture on here soon. Plenty of new metal now fitted.

Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
twisted wheel View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisted wheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 21:16
Looking good.
Bet it feels nice to make some progress after all the digging/grinding?
I'm doing a couple of syncros for people at the moment , one as bad & the other is much much worse than yours!
They're all worth saving - keep up the good work!
Welding & Restoration Services
07970 827336

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Welding-and-Restoration-Services/254951737969847
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 14 at 10:34
Off side B pillar

Outer B pilar with rebuilt rear of arch going back on

Front panel off

Sand blasted cross members inc repair to bumper and impact section due to rust

Repair plate made for front offside out rigger near cab step

The above panel will live here once this area has been repaired, blasted and painted.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 14 at 19:21
what happened to the b pillar? Shocked looks all kinds of wrong!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply