The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo
    Posted: 29 Aug 16 at 21:34
Hi all ,again On my Florida the stereo is wired into the starter battery which seems a pain as when we are camping we would like some music in the background but worry it will flatten the battery,so what I would like to know is can I wire it directly to the leisure batteries or is this a pain in the arse I'm not very experienced in wiring car stereos but willing to give it a shot
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 10:54
Should be fairly easy to do, so long as you can identify the wiring on the back of the stereo.
If there have been several stereos fitted over the years, it could be a birds nest behind the dash.
Also you may need special tools to remove the stereo, not usually expensive but you need to get them.

If you can slide the stereo out take some pictures and post them, and we can go from there.
There may well be a diagram on the stereo, definitely need a pic.

You will probably need some basic equipment too:-

Crimping tool + terminals
Scotch lock
In-line fuse (probably 1amp)
Wire long enough to run from the leisure battery up to the stereo. (5amp should be fine)
Basic multi-meter
Insulating tape
Pliers
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 11:18
Lazy way is to just run a live feed direct from your leisure battery in to the fuse terminal for your interior lights and radio fuse.

Just whip the fuse out and stick the live wire onto the relevant fuse blade.

Easy to revert to. Make sure your live lead has an inline fuse near the battery to advise nasty accidents!

Edited by ob1 - 30 Aug 16 at 11:18
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 21:22
Thanks for the advice fellas ,I'll give it a try at the weekend ,first I think I'll run a live and negative wire through the van towards the batteries (when I figure out where to run them )then set about the connecting them up ,do I connect earth or live first ?
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 22:57
You don't need negative, both bataries use the same negative, van chassis.
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 07:38
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 08:15
Thanks again for the advice ,ob1 the Florida has all the 12v accessories wired to the leisure batts (so I've been told) so hopefully won't need to use the fuse rewiring trick ,thanks anyway
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 20:03
If I don't need to run another negative shall I just leave the negative connected to the stereo and just run a live straight to the leisure batteries ?

mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 16 at 21:01
Hello again ,took the stereo out to take pictures ,slid it back in and it now don't work anyway on the stereo it said :-
A,Orange/white line .........illumination
B,Light blue/yellow line...........steering wheel remote
C,Red ..........accessory
D,Yellow ..........battery
E,Black ............ground
F,Blue/white line ...........remote(max.200mA)

The rest are all speaker wires.What I would like to know now is do I just connect my live off of the live terminal from my leisure battery to D and negative to E or should I include the other wires ,what I want is for all the stereo power to be drawn off of the leisure batteries ,so I have no need to worry about my starter going flat when camping.Sorry for not posting any pics ,I'm still trying to work this out .Thanks again for your help.........
P.s I forgot to mention I've already run some 15 amp wire (lad in maplin said it's what I needed)from leisure battery to stereo ,just not connected either end.

Edited by mgee132 - 12 Sep 16 at 21:05
nicq View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 16 at 23:32
Leave all wires as they are but replace "D" with leisure bat 12v
mgee132 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgee132 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 16 at 06:49
Thanks for the reply
 Post Reply Post Reply