The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering geometry question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering geometry question
    Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 11:19
I found Brick-yard originated info sheet on steering geometry
(www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/geometry.htm) which is very useful Clap
But.... this doesn't have details for syncro with 6x14 wheel size (as in standard 205x 14 wheels and tyres option which mine came with)

Does anyone know - would I use info for 5.5x14?Confused

And what if you've fitted 15" wheels (or any non-standard size) -would that need different set up?

Reason I ask is need upper wishbone bushes etc done and have heard its best to be armed with geometry data as local wheel balancing shop unlikely to have correct info for syncro.

Any info greatly appretiated...
92 syncro rhd 2.1 pop-top
90 syncro rhd aaz pick up
ckendal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckendal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 12:49
If you take it to a "decent" wheel alignment centre, they will have all the details.
I was going to take my westy to a quick-fit (name changed to protect the innocent), but they started the conversation with "oh, its a left hand drive", we dont have the alignment details for them !
I took it to a proper body shop repair centre, and they got it spot on (again, after the upper wishbone bush replacement and lowering)

HTH
1989 California poptop
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 15:09
I found  even a 'decent' wheel alignment place couldn't do anything for the rear other than measure the  camber and toe
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 16:23
exactly my concern - even 'decent' ones have problems.

I wonder if using data according to 'Distance between wheel arch and hubnut centre' on the Brickwerks chart.

Although mine are: 480, 480, 470 & 465! none of which are on chart! but does have 15"s on at the mo. although would that make any difference to that measurement?Confused

Edited by Reco - 20 Mar 13 at 16:28
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 13 at 19:54
The settings were in fact superseded by a vw bulletin in about 1987 that stated using optical alinment equipment...if a place can measure the rear camber and toe why can't they adjust it?...seized bolts maybe?...with the 3 rear alinment is possibly more important than any other...vw machines have the settings in the software for the syncros..so I would say anywhere with hunter or beisbarth tackle will have them as well...amongst others....

By the way..wheel size has no effect on wheel alinement...or arch to hub nut distance!

Edited by max and caddy - 20 Mar 13 at 19:56
Reco View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 13 at 16:37
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

By the way..wheel size has no effect on wheel alinement...or arch to hub nut distance!

Thanks for clarifying that!Smile
bartk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 13 at 22:10
In de computer is this registered : 

we choose 'half loaded' because its a westfalia california editon..
But its prety different than what I found on brick-yard.. (camber, caster) Witch information should I use?

And how to adjust camber at the rear? witch bolt? It is in the trailing arm right? (I think it's rotten)
Also another question, I lowered 30mm but caster isn't adjustable anymore.. Are there any shims or? You can adjust caster with this part right?? : 
(it's red XX )

Sorry for my (poor/basic) English.
thanks in advance..

Edited by bartk - 28 Mar 13 at 22:11
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 13 at 08:52
Front castor is adjusted with the red part, at the rear the holes are slotted for the trailing arm...up down on the outer and fore aft on the inner...
kombi bohemia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kombi bohemia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 16 at 16:05
Hey guys
Wondering about 2 questions, one of the most popular sizes for a syncro is BFG "27 x 8.50R14" AT tyres. so with these tyres in mind does anyone have a clue:
1. Tyre pressures for road use
2. setting up wheel alignment geometry 

or does it not matter that I'm using these meaty AT tyres and wheel geometry is the same as 14" 205/70/14 road tyres? 

I know nothing about setting up alignment but want to provide my local garage with accurate information who will do the job, have got a printout of the brick-yard steering Geometry facts to give them.

any info greatly appreciated 

Edited by kombi bohemia - 06 Jan 16 at 16:06
Dare To Be Something Different In Life
Happy Travels
 Post Reply Post Reply